Digital Art Zone

2 of 2
Simple Material Mixing With DS4.5 Shader Mixer [What’s up with normals?]
Posted: 11 October 2012 01:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  803
Joined  2007-01-08

Sounds like DS uses the other kind of Normal Maps (I don’t remember what they’re called specifically), the ones in which the blue channel does have an effect. Try reducing its intensity.
Or perhaps it guesses it is the other kind of Normal map if blue values are different from zero?

Posted: 19 October 2012 03:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  455
Joined  2007-09-01

Thanks ReDave. I don’t think it’s the type of normal map that’s the problem (though I may still be proven wrong). I create all my normal maps in Blender 2.49 using the ‘tangent’ option (the other options being normal space, world, object, and camera). These Blender-generated normal maps seem to work fine in DAZ Studio. (I’m fairly certain that the red and/or green channels need to be inverted and/or swapped over - something I haven’t done - but I’m 99% certain that has nothing to do with what I’m seeing here).

I’ve been trying all sorts of things, and I have to admit I’m at a total loss now. The problems come down to this:
- A single normal map in a 4-brick network works fine: Normal Map ->  XYZ Components -> Point -> Displacement).
- Adding a few maths* bricks in the middle and plugging a calculated value into the Z (blue) input of the Point brick doesn’t work. Even though the calculated value appears to be identical to the Z (blue) output from the XYZ Components brick!

I think it’s time to take this query over to the Developer Discussion forum…

*using simple trigonometry to work out the blue component:
B = SQRT( 1 - ((R*R)+(G*G))

Signature 

Website: UnrealImperfect | Freebies: Renderosity, ShareCG | ‘Art’: DeviantArt | Blog: Blogger
(aka Pete Williams)

2 of 2