Digital Art Zone

2 of 2
New pc 64 bit
Posted: 30 September 2012 08:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  206
Joined  2006-09-05

Thanks Kyoto. I don’t do much animation, mostly illustrating, some webdesign, menus, invites, etc.

Posted: 30 September 2012 08:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10939
Joined  2007-11-06

...you should be pretty fine with 8GB RAM but keeps the option open for upgrading.

Also make sure you get a good Power Supply.  So often prebuilds scrimp in this department, providing one that is just barely adequate for the components installed. If you can do it yourself, or know somebody who can help you put it together, I would suggest a custom build over an “of the shelf” system.  Most of the store-bought systems are designed for the average home user who watches DVDs, streamd video, surfs the net, keeps recipe files etc. and never intends to really “push” the system hard.  Having a heftier power supply not only means that it will not be required to operate near it’s peak output through most of its life, but also gives you “overhead” for future upgrades.

Cases are another consideration.  Make sure you get one with excellent cooling (more than just one or two small fans) as well as adequate “breathing room”. The GPU will create heat, lots of heat, so will the CPU. It is better to err on a little “overkill:” here as well for it will pay itself back in longer service life and less risk of both a software and/or hardware crash due to overheating.

Another benefit of a custom build is you can install only the software you know you will need.  Many prebuilds come bundled with a tonne of useless “bloatware” that saps CPU and memory resources.

I would also invest in or download one or more of the free security utilities rather than just depend on the built in Windows basic firewall and security utilities. Tha last thing you want is your investment to be compromised by viruses and malware.

Signature 

...it’s five minutes to midnight…

I’d rather have a blue sky above me than a blue screen in front of me.

Posted: 30 September 2012 09:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-09-05

Yes Kyoto, we are going to custom build, so hopefully that way I’ll get what I need. The cooling is a good suggestion. I have Kaspersky (paid version) for security. Microsoft Security Essentials failed in its duty to protect this computer. A virus actually took over MSE and was impossible to remove, I went to Microsoft Help and tried to clean MSE, but got the message that it could not be repaired. It introduced more viruses into the machine, so it had to be taken to the shop to be cleaned. It was a major issue and one I don’t want to repeat, hence Kaspersky. A drawback is that Kaspersky does not allow exe extensions, so that put a stop to my DAZ shopping. I know I can pause K so I can download, but am not prepared to do that. I shall wait until DAZ uses Zips.

Posted: 02 October 2012 05:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2012-04-05

Just got around to reading this and perhaps it’s too late, but here’s my 2 cents.  I have read elsewhere that for DAZ, memory is important, not computer speed.  So for your new computer, get the most and fastest memory you can afford, keeping in mind the constraints of the operating system you get.  I will be updating my computer soon and plan on getting an intel core i5 3570K as the processor.  This can be overclocked for a higher speed.  I may or may not do that, depending on how easy it looks.  I will be using it in an Asus P8Z77-V pro motherboard with 16 GB of CL 10 1600 MHz ram.  My present case has a 650 watt power supply, which should be adequate, a 250 and a 350 GB hard drives.  I’ll keep both although if I could afford it, I’d replace both hard drives with one single bigger one - that recommended terrabyte sounded good.  I have an older graphics card that I will keep until I can afford a new one.  My upgrade, as you can see, revolves around my spare cash and I get what I can when I can.  I build the computers myself for exactly the reasons that were stated.  Oh yes, I use Windows 7 64 bit and it seems to be faster and more stable than 32 bit, although don’t ask me to prove it.  All my software that I had for a 32 bit system works fine with my 64 bit system.  Whether yours will, well??????  There is a lot of good advice on this thread.  You should be able to get a good system and your software should work fine.  Good luck

Posted: 02 October 2012 05:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-09-05

Thanks for that reply Pakman, it is not too late for advice and I take all advice on board. The pc I have presently is also custom built. At the time it seemed a very good rig, and it hasn’t let me down. But it is old and I need to update before this old faithful bites the dust. Sofar I think I’ll go for 16 GB RAM, 1GB NVIDIA graphics card, Intel Core 4 Quod,
1 Terrabyte HDD. And look for a good cooling system. The build will start when we get the time to do so.
I am also investing in a Wacom tablet, Intuos5. The old tablet (1998) still works beautifully, but it is not supported anymore, I cannot get a new driver for it. My computer complains bitterly about the driver, and threatens to go on strike.

Posted: 03 October 2012 05:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-09-05

Pakman, did you have to install updates for the 32bit apps?

2 of 2