Digital Art Zone

4 of 9
ShareCG in trouble
Posted: 26 September 2012 08:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1856
Joined  2011-07-31

What is the connection between SCG and Rendo?  Many times, clicking on an item in Rendo takes me to SCG to sign in and download.

Signature 

AtticAnne in Austin TX

FREE GANGSTER RPG GAME

Posted: 26 September 2012 08:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  530
Joined  2003-10-09
AtticAnne - 26 September 2012 08:13 PM

What is the connection between SCG and Rendo?  Many times, clicking on an item in Rendo takes me to SCG to sign in and download.

Not really any relation at all. Individual artists often manage their shares through ShareCG and then post them to Daz or Rendo.

Posted: 26 September 2012 08:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  135
Joined  2003-10-09
AtticAnne - 26 September 2012 08:13 PM

I don’t think there’s any connection.  Just that Renderosity is where a lot of Poser users hang out, so people like to have their freebies there.  But Rosity couldn’t host all the freebies, so freebies there often link to other sites.  Plus, when ShareCG started, they offered to pay people who made free stuff, so there was incentive to put it at ShareCG rather than at other sites.

Posted: 26 September 2012 08:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1585
Joined  2005-02-25

it’s getting harder and harder to find a place to store freebies where p eople will find them.  Yeah you can use other random places but its hard to find the freebies.

I’m already still depressed about what happened to megaupload (totally unrelated to the problem now with ShareCG).  I paid for a megaupload storage where I stored my freebies and wips, and lost all of it.  I had recently started uploading to ShareCG too and was about to share some halloween freebies. 

I’m not a huge freebie maker, and it would really stink to pay $10 to download.  paying $10 to download—- it depends. ShareCG def needs a better way to search for commercial free items. 

I’d be sad to see ShareCG be a pay-for site.  By definition I think that makes it no longer free. :( Isn’t there another way? Like paying for more benefits?
Sponsor a creator? Kickstarter even???? I’d sponser for sure.

Posted: 26 September 2012 09:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4545
Joined  2007-09-13

Where, in anything that was published by Dave Heller, did it say that ‘uploaders’ were going to pay?

It said a $10/yr subscription would give you ad free access to the site. 

That sounds like anybody/everybody can pay to get that…whether they up or down.  It doesn’t matter.

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Just because something costs a lot, doesn’t mean it’s the best…

It just means it’s expensive.

Posted: 26 September 2012 10:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4912
Joined  2012-04-07
mjc1016 - 26 September 2012 09:11 PM

Where, in anything that was published by Dave Heller, did it say that ‘uploaders’ were going to pay?

That sounds like anybody/everybody can pay to get that…whether they up or down.  It doesn’t matter.

Think they’re just commenting on paying for the subscription service. There’s no extra fees for uploading or downloading thereafter.

Signature 

Posted: 26 September 2012 10:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5437
Joined  2005-04-16
Slimer_J_Spud - 26 September 2012 05:10 PM

LmWolfSpirit’s post raised another question. Cho clarified the rule on the Daz freebies. What if ALL of ShareCG is ruled “paid for” as a result of having to pay a subscription to download? Even if they require a subscription, I think we should still be able to use appropriately licensed items from ShareCG as freebies in contests. What say ye?

Then they’d have to allow items from PoserWorld.  You pay a subscription fee there, and can download as much as you want during your subscribed period (month, year, etc.)  They’re not really free, you’re paying to get them, no matter how low that payment actually works out to when spread over all the downloads.  It’s a difficult question for those who run the Freebie Challenge (which only recently, some time last year, became an officially DAZ3D sanctioned and supported event).

Dana

Signature 

Old post count: 7511

Posted: 26 September 2012 10:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-16
mjc1016 - 26 September 2012 05:32 PM

As to disallowing ‘freebies’ from ShareCG…should the Freebie contest also disallow all freebies hosted on other sites that also charge a subscription for a higher level of service (ad-free, faster downloads, etc) or are hosted on paid servers?

The higher level of service doesn’t matter.  What matters is if anybody can download it without paying.  That’s what makes a freebie.  Having to register is not the same as having to subscribe to a payment plan, by the way.  If I can go to a site and download something, legally, for free, then it’s a freebie.  If I have to pay to be able to download it, then it’s not a freebie.  I think that is the most basic understanding of the word free…do you pay for it?  If so, then it’s not free.

Dana

Signature 

Posted: 27 September 2012 12:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 54 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3166
Joined  2007-06-22

If there are concerns over the freebie challenge why not see if Daz couldnt host free stuff and have a free section more like renderosities?

Posted: 27 September 2012 12:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 55 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4532
Joined  2004-08-11
mjc1016 - 26 September 2012 09:11 PM

YUP! 

Like I said folks, $10.00 a YEAR isn’t going to kill anyone.  As a freebie content creator I think it’s fair. As a person that downloads from ShareCG often I think it’s fair.  Esp when Dave mentions that there will be ongoing improvements to the site as a whole.  If your concern is a better search then write him and ask for that.  I’ve communicated allot with the man and he’s a very very nice person to deal with.

Signature 

—- Wolff On The Prowl—-

Pan Project

Posted: 27 September 2012 03:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 56 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  345
Joined  2009-03-17

$10 a year? That is really nothing for what you get in return. Heck, we pay almost $8 per month for our PC memberships here and that don’t come with much of anything free although it does make shopping here a lot cheaper. So yeah, shut up and take my money already!

P.S. Perhaps they should think of just advertising it differently. Something like ‘Join now for just 84 cents per month!’. :D

P.P.S. Some people are missing the obvious. ShareCG will remain free so everything will still count as freebies. The free version of the site will have banner ads and what not where as subscribers will enjoy an ad-free experience. Either way, everyone still get freebies. wink

Signature 

My life is a symphony nearing a crescendo. There have been too many segues in this piece and I long for a caesura.

Posted: 27 September 2012 04:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 57 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5705
Joined  2006-02-20
Richard Haseltine - 26 September 2012 12:52 PM

You’d have to pay for your own site, if you went that route. While it’s true there are hsoting sites that will allow you to upload files for others to download they don’t provide for niceties like preview images as ShareCG does, so (assuming you want those) they ar not a comparable service.

Renderosity?

Signature 

I like Bryce, DazStudio, Poser and Vue ... in alphabetical order. And I would probably like Carrara too, if I could find the time to become acquainted with it. Peace?

Posted: 27 September 2012 07:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 58 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2815
Joined  2004-04-14

Mediafire works just fine.

Host you stuff there and then post in the forums that you made it available.  YOu can host images there too so if the forums wont take your promo pic for some odd reason, MF will.  Also, Mediafire does not restrict you for download speed or number of downloads at once.

if you click on my freebies link in my sig you will see what I allows people to see on my account.  If you look at the image below, you will see part of what I see.

Image Attachments
Screenshot_-_12-09-27_-_09:23:18_AM.png
 Signature 

My DAZ3D Store
My Free Stuff
My Art @ DeviantART
Ships of the Line - MEGA THREAD
How to use the Poser Format Exporter - **Updated 2013-02-09**

Posted: 27 September 2012 08:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 59 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  405
Joined  2008-06-25

I’ve also seen people host their free stuff at deviantArt (Mattymanx, don’t you have something up there as well?). I don’t know, though, if it’s a premium feature - I haven’t tried it (yet).

Sorry if this is highjacking the topic, but this question of mine looks to fit the discussion… As an aspiring freebie maker, I’m wondering right now what people would be most likely to download from (not the way they would find my freebies - I feel I would be able to handle a little self-promotion LOL).

I was unsure about the whole ShareCG thing from the start because it requires registration to download, and now this.

I like mediafire, I’m using it to exchange larger files with coworkers, but I’ve seen people being wary of filesharing sites as these sites appear to be associated with illegal practices.

dA doesn’t seem to impose the registration on downloaders (I remember downloading stuff while being logged out), but I haven’t yet found anything about max file sizes, download limits etc.

Any ideas?

Signature 

do your research before blaming 3Delight for shortcomings of your renders

dA gallery link in profile along with anything else you may need to know about me

my thread with freebies

Posted: 27 September 2012 09:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 60 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-16
Harry Dresden - 27 September 2012 03:36 AM

$10 a year? That is really nothing for what you get in return. Heck, we pay almost $8 per month for our PC memberships here and that don’t come with much of anything free although it does make shopping here a lot cheaper. So yeah, shut up and take my money already!

P.S. Perhaps they should think of just advertising it differently. Something like ‘Join now for just 84 cents per month!’. :D

P.P.S. Some people are missing the obvious. ShareCG will remain free so everything will still count as freebies. The free version of the site will have banner ads and what not where as subscribers will enjoy an ad-free experience. Either way, everyone still get freebies. wink

Harry, while I agree that $10 a year is a drop in the bucket, I have to say that your last statement is wrong.

Here, have some coffee…it’s free.  But if you want to drink it from my mug, you have to pay me a little bit.  That’s not free, is it?  And the gist of what he said was that the banner ads were not working, they are not paying.  So I don’ think he will leave them.  I think you pay or you don’t get access.  Why would he keep those banner ads on the site if they aren’t working for him at all?  They create extra bandwidth usage.  The pages update so slowly because of them.  I really don’t think he intends to keep them for anyone.

Dana

Signature 

4 of 9