Digital Art Zone

2 of 2
FINAL COVER DESIGNS FOR A. E. McCullough NOVELLA “THE LAST SPARTAN: DJ’S MISSION”
Posted: 29 September 2012 07:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  30
Joined  2005-12-17
Jake__Russel - 26 September 2012 03:27 AM

After many people participated, it was a tight race and two people were selected as winners. CNSamson’s cool design “Red Falcon Saturn” was in the lead from the beginning. It then became a tie with CNSamson and me. If I didn’t submit more than one cover, I probably would have lost to his cover design.

Cheers, mate! smile It was a close vote indeed, but I think your entries better captured the spirit of the work.

Anyways, I reposted my image on my dA page: http://fav.me/d5gef9h

Looking forward to entering the next contest. cheese

Signature 

$5 eBook Cover Designs

Posted: 30 September 2012 02:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  245
Joined  2006-05-14
CNSamson - 29 September 2012 07:05 PM

After many people participated, it was a tight race and two people were selected as winners. CNSamson’s cool design “Red Falcon Saturn” was in the lead from the beginning. It then became a tie with CNSamson and me. If I didn’t submit more than one cover, I probably would have lost to his cover design.

Cheers, mate! smile It was a close vote indeed, but I think your entries better captured the spirit of the work.

I think you won as runner up or honorable mention. Check with A. E. because you are entitled to a “prize” as well based on the info on the final submission thread. You are a winner too!!!

I looked at your gallery at deviant art and you got some serious stuff. Some of your images is called “space warriors.”, “Stellarstream Force”, and “Sector Patrol District B-139” (Hope its okay that I brought it over to DAZ to show others below). Why didn’t you submit these to the contest as well? These are fabulous. I think these would have been something A. E. would have loved as a cover design too. I am looking foreword to seeing your next entry in the next contest. This is the first time I have done anything like this. Since I am starting some projects and books and need a site to have people look at my “portfolio” so to speak, How do you start a gallery on deviant art?

Image Attachments
space_warrior_by_cnsamson-d50o9xm.jpgIntergalactic_Space_Cop_by_CNSamson.jpgStellarstream_Force_by_CNSamson.jpg

Posted: 30 September 2012 03:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  422
Joined  2012-08-14
Jake__Russel - 30 September 2012 02:29 AM
CNSamson - 29 September 2012 07:05 PM

I think you won as runner up or honorable mention. Check with A. E. because you are entitled to a “prize” as well based on the info on the final submission thread. You are a winner too!!!

I looked at your gallery at deviant art and you got some serious stuff. Some of your images is called “space warriors.”, “Stellarstream Force”, and “Sector Patrol District B-139” (Hope its okay that I brought it over to DAZ to show others below). Why didn’t you submit these to the contest as well? These are fabulous. I think these would have been something A. E. would have loved as a cover design too. I am looking foreword to seeing your next entry in the next contest. This is the first time I have done anything like this. Since I am starting some projects and books and need a site to have people look at my “portfolio” so to speak, How do you start a gallery on deviant art?

Jake is right. I too have looked at some of your work and love it. Actually, I would’ve loved if you had submitted cover versions #1 and 3 of the pics Jake posted. I still would’ve like the Red Falcon armor tweaked…but that’s simple stuff.

I’m hoping to have my next contest up and running around the holidays. I’ll give you a hint, its a fantasy novel but not a mainstream type. More to come later. I want to set up a secure area on my website, where those involved in the contest can read the first 2 chapters to get a feel for the novel and the characters. And my personal target date for this novel is 1st quarter 2013, so I’m not in a rush atm. Too many irons in the fire as it is.
—Drew

Signature 

Brotherlobo aka A.E. McCullough
Self-published Author and Hobbyist Designer

Checkout my website @ http://www.aemccullough.com
or on Amazon @ A.E. McCullough on Amazon
or ‘like’ me on Facebook @ A.E. McCullough on Facebook
or on deviantArt @  Brotherlobo @ deviantArt

Posted: 30 September 2012 08:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  140
Joined  2009-04-18

Hi CNSamson,
had a look at your DA page and I must agree with both Jake and A.E. you have some beautiful work and would really like to see more of your work here in the Daz forum.

Posted: 30 September 2012 12:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Rank
Joined  2005-12-17

Yep, I got mine yesterday (thanks again A.E.).

Much thanks, no problem for posting them here. As for deviantArt, all you have to do is sign up for a free account there and start uploading your images. They also have a Portfolio feature, where you can collect a subset of your gallery under a different url:

http://cnsamson.daportfolio.com/

Signature 

$5 eBook Cover Designs

Posted: 30 September 2012 12:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Rank
Joined  2005-12-17
aemccullough - 30 September 2012 03:15 AM

Jake is right. I too have looked at some of your work and love it. Actually, I would’ve loved if you had submitted cover versions #1 and 3 of the pics Jake posted. I still would’ve like the Red Falcon armor tweaked…but that’s simple stuff.

Thanks; it didn’t occur to me to submit those existing images, as I wanted to create an image specific to the story. But glad you liked them as well! smile

Signature 

$5 eBook Cover Designs

Posted: 30 September 2012 12:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Rank
Joined  2005-12-17
michaeltoo - 30 September 2012 08:32 AM

Hi CNSamson,
had a look at your DA page and I must agree with both Jake and A.E. you have some beautiful work and would really like to see more of your work here in the Daz forum.

Thanks muchly! I used to enter the monthy gallery contests here, and even won a fair number of vouchers. However, since the contests were suspended after the site redesign, I haven’t been motivated to do as much art as I used to. But sure, if I come up with anything worthy I’ll certainly post it on the forum as well. smile

Signature 

$5 eBook Cover Designs

Posted: 01 October 2012 02:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-05-14

Fresh off the rendering press. Here is the latest revision of “reflection”. Not sure if I can do much more with the image.

Image Attachments
Reflection_(FIRST)_copy.jpg

Posted: 01 October 2012 03:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-08-14
Jake__Russel - 01 October 2012 02:48 AM

Fresh off the rendering press. Here is the latest revision of “reflection”. Not sure if I can do much more with the image.

No worries! I like it!
I noticed you added the border again. I will mull over today at work and let you know if I notice anything.
Good work!

Signature 

Posted: 01 October 2012 03:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-05-14
aemccullough - 01 October 2012 03:20 AM
Jake__Russel - 01 October 2012 02:48 AM

No worries! I like it!
I noticed you added the border again. I will mull over today at work and let you know if I notice anything.
Good work!

At this point, you only need to let me know what to take away from the image since I added (I think) everything you were looking for.

Posted: 01 October 2012 05:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-05-14

Here are two versions of the “DJ’s fate”. I think the “reflection” cover is the most favorite so I still will submit the remake of the others. I was a little busy the past couple of days and I am just getting back into finishing the covers. I am still working on the shattered glass version to see if I can render the glass instead of making it in photoshop.

Image Attachments
q.jpgqq.jpg

Posted: 02 October 2012 04:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-08-14
Jake__Russel - 01 October 2012 05:39 PM

Here are two versions of the “DJ’s fate”. I think the “reflection” cover is the most favorite so I still will submit the remake of the others. I was a little busy the past couple of days and I am just getting back into finishing the covers. I am still working on the shattered glass version to see if I can render the glass instead of making it in photoshop.

I likes….not as much as the final version of Reflection but they are great. Make sure you include them on your upcoming Deviant Art page.

Signature 

2 of 2