Digital Art Zone

1 of 3
Request for a simple change in next version of DAZ that would be helpful to me and others…
Posted: 26 September 2012 12:14 AM   [ Ignore ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1155
Joined  2005-07-29

Okay, a few requests…

1) Make it so that each morph in the Parameters, Posing, and Shaping tabs have a small question mark in the header next to the lock that, when clicked, tell the name of the author, the Package they came sold with and a link to the readme online for that package.

2) Also put a check-box on each morph in the Parameters, Posing, and Shaping tabs, so that, when clicked and a selection of ‘Palette’ is chosen as the filter (like the filter for Currently Used) then all the ones we have selected are loaded into our “morph palette” so that we may keep those dials we want to fiddle with together and can quickly manage and use what we need. Then a Clear Palette button will remove the check-marks from all the morphs currently in your palette.

3) Make a button for Zero Pose & Zero Shape so that it can be placed in the toolbar and quickly clicked.

4) Make a “Zero Materials” feature along with a button that can be placed in the toolbar and quickly clicked that will clear all materials all at once.

If anyone has a simple suggestions, please feel free to post.

Please don’t post “I want Dynamic Cloth NOW!” or “GENESIS SUCKS! POSER RULES!” or other things which would cause a major, expensive upgrade but some simple things around the UI that would make it better and more easily used.

What ya got? smile

Signature 

<End of transmission from Oz>
TUTORIAL - Creating a Genesis/G2F/G2M Full Body Morph for DAZ Studio Pro 4.6 by RKane_1
TUTORIAL - Creating a Genesis Partial Body Morph in DAZ Studio Pro 4 Using the DForm Tool by RKane_1
TUTORIAL - Applying Shaders by RKane_1 (as stolen blatantly from Jaderail)

Posted: 26 September 2012 01:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  899
Joined  2012-02-03

I can think of a few simple things that could help me navigate my Scene tab.

First, a way to change the font size would help. If there already is a way to do this, I haven’t found it yet. I often have to get out of my seat and get closer to my monitor to read the names of the items.

Second, the ability to have folders in the scene tab, and to be able to drag items into them. When doing scenes with lots of items, it can be problematic sometimes to find the specific item I want to select. For example, if I create a figure, any clothes or props I add to it are directly below it in the list. I add a second figure, clothe it, same thing, so far so good. After I’ve added a few more figures to my scene, I decide to change the clothes on the first one. The new clothes I add to the scene will appear at the bottom of the list.

If I could create a folder for each figure, I could drag all the items associated with that figure into the proper folder. Opening the folder would let me see all the items in it, closing the folder would reduce clutter in the Scene tab when I don’t need to see the whole list. This is a feature that is common in audio software, where a project with dozens of tracks can be a bit unwieldy when trying to scroll down to one specific track; having folders labeled strings, brass, etc. makes the job a lot easier.

Posted: 26 September 2012 02:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  720
Joined  2003-10-09

You can have a few of these right now.  smile

3) Make a button for Zero Pose & Zero Shape so that it can be placed in the toolbar and quickly clicked.

Here’s a tutorial I wrote showing how to create your own menus and menu items. That should help with quick access to all your Zeroing needs.

http://snowsultan.deviantart.com/art/Customizing-DAZ-Studio-Interface-Menus-310684759

Make a “Zero Materials” feature along with a button that can be placed in the toolbar and quickly clicked that will clear all materials all at once.

Save a surface with all the default settings as a Surface preset. When you need to “zero” any materials, select them all and apply that saved surface. It’s not a one-click solution, but it works pretty well.

Second, the ability to have folders in the scene tab, and to be able to drag items into them

You can pretty much do this by adding Group objects to your scene (Create -> New Group), and then drag all of your clothing or other items into them. They’re nice because you can hide everything in the group at once just by hiding the Group.

I hope that helps a little!  smile

Signature 

“It answers all the questions, finally, but not really, but kind of”
- Bob Denver

my deviantArt page: http://snowsultan.deviantart.com

Smacky icon by Xamag

Posted: 26 September 2012 02:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  899
Joined  2012-02-03
SnowSultan - 26 September 2012 02:09 AM

Here’s a tutorial I wrote showing how to create your own menus and menu items. That should help with quick access to all your Zeroing needs.

http://snowsultan.deviantart.com/art/Customizing-DAZ-Studio-Interface-Menus-310684759

Make a “Zero Materials” feature along with a button that can be placed in the toolbar and quickly clicked that will clear all materials all at once.

Save a surface with all the default settings as a Surface preset. When you need to “zero” any materials, select them all and apply that saved surface. It’s not a one-click solution, but it works pretty well.

Second, the ability to have folders in the scene tab, and to be able to drag items into them

You can pretty much do this by adding Group objects to your scene (Create -> New Group), and then drag all of your clothing or other items into them. They’re nice because you can hide everything in the group at once just by hiding the Group.

Thanks, the Group feature should be just what I need. Sure wish Studio had a complete manual. Now if I can get the font bigger, I’ll be all set. Time for bed now; I’ve been up way too long.

Posted: 26 September 2012 10:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4545
Joined  2007-09-13
riftwitch - 26 September 2012 01:31 AM

First, a way to change the font size would help. If there already is a way to do this, I haven’t found it yet. I often have to get out of my seat and get closer to my monitor to read the names of the items.

I second the size change…but also move to change the font completely.

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Just because something costs a lot, doesn’t mean it’s the best…

It just means it’s expensive.

Posted: 26 September 2012 10:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4461
Joined  2004-08-11

Following up what SS mentioned about surfaces… save a non surface version of Genesis when it’s first loaded to a place you can easily find it… right click on the newly saved Materials preset and choose “Create Custom Action”.  It will appear in your “Scripts” drop down menu.  Very very handy.  If you wish to get rid of old actions that no longer function it’s a bit fiddly but not overly so… here’s how…

Edit>Customize> Left pane…. “Customize” click the + sign and all your saves will be there… right click and choose “Delete Custom Action” and then “Apply” and “Accept” and it’s done. 

One of things I dearly miss about older versions of DS are two things… hand pose tool.  So nice and ‘handy’ raspberry and there was another tool I think many remember, Parameters Organizer which gave you the ability to hide unused sliders so only the ones your using would be visible.  VERY VERY nice!  I think this correlates with Robert’s 2. up top there.

Signature 

—- Wolff On The Prowl—-

Pan Project

Posted: 26 September 2012 10:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-07-29
SnowSultan - 26 September 2012 02:09 AM

Helps a lot! DAZ should hire you….

Maybe to write a helpful manual!?!?

Maybe?...

:D

Signature 

TUTORIAL - Creating a Genesis/G2F/G2M Full Body Morph for DAZ Studio Pro 4.6 by RKane_1
TUTORIAL - Creating a Genesis Partial Body Morph in DAZ Studio Pro 4 Using the DForm Tool by RKane_1

Posted: 26 September 2012 12:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  720
Joined  2003-10-09

You don’t really have to learn Studio completely on your own, DAZ does have an outdated but still helpful manual and a good Reference Guide that all new users should read.

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/start

I have a feeling that if the font were changed, it would cause huge interface problems. I once had the font change when I was using Poser 4 (still have no idea why it happened), and the program became unusable. I don’t know of many programs where you can change the interface font for that very reason.

Parameters Organizer which gave you the ability to hide unused sliders so only the ones your using would be visible.  VERY VERY nice!

I agree, and I asked about this in a recent post over in the DAZ Studio forum. Didn’t get any answer, but I’ll try to make a request for it (you can too of course).

Helps a lot! DAZ should hire you….

Maybe to write a helpful manual!?!?

Haha, I don’t think I’m up to writing a manual for a program with this many features.  wink  I don’t know anything about the CCT and very little about the more technical details of exporting and such. I will keep writing tutorials and answering questions when I can though. Thanks very much.  smile

Signature 

“It answers all the questions, finally, but not really, but kind of”
- Bob Denver

my deviantArt page: http://snowsultan.deviantart.com

Smacky icon by Xamag

Posted: 26 September 2012 01:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-08-11

Wasn’t there supposed to be a team writing the manual?  DAZ really does have a very poor record of providing writing manual, PDF or bound… it’s very sad. 

Hey SS if you make a feature request post the link I’ll for sure add a note to it.

Signature 

—- Wolff On The Prowl—-

Pan Project

Posted: 26 September 2012 01:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-07-29

@SnowSultan

Thank you very much for this valuable tutorial and info.

I have made a new toolbar but cannot figure out how to get it added to the window. Whenever I create it, right click on the toolbar, it does not give it as an option to check or uncheck to show. What did I do wrong? *smile*

Is there a way to make out own little button pics so that when we make a toolbar with no pic for the button, we can create a little image and put it in there?

Thanks again for all your help! smile

Signature 

Posted: 26 September 2012 01:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-07-29
RKane_1 - 26 September 2012 01:34 PM

@SnowSultan

Thank you very much for this valuable tutorial and info.

I have made a new toolbar but cannot figure out how to get it added to the window. Whenever I create it, right click on the toolbar, it does not give it as an option to check or uncheck to show. What did I do wrong? *smile*

Is there a way to make out own little button pics so that when we make a toolbar with no pic for the button, we can create a little image and put it in there?

Thanks again for all your help! smile

Okay, I did find how to enable the toolbars again under Customize -> Activities (in the right side column) -> Advsdnced -> Toolbars then right click each to enable

Signature 

Posted: 26 September 2012 01:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  201
Joined  2006-03-02
RAMWolff - 26 September 2012 10:37 AM

One of things I dearly miss about older versions of DS are two things… hand pose tool.  So nice and ‘handy’ raspberry and there was another tool I think many remember, Parameters Organizer which gave you the ability to hide unused sliders so only the ones your using would be visible.  VERY VERY nice!  I think this correlates with Robert’s 2. up top there.

Are you talking about a hand pose tool other than PowerPose?

Image Attachments
handpose.jpg

Posted: 26 September 2012 02:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-07-29

Is there a way to tell DAZ to select all the siblings or select all parents of a selected item? Like if I click on hand, then click “Select all siblings” it will select all the fingers?

It would be even more helpful if I could do that and effect the scaling on all the siblings

Signature 

Posted: 26 September 2012 02:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-08-11
fivecat - 26 September 2012 01:55 PM
RAMWolff - 26 September 2012 10:37 AM

Hmm, never thought of using Poser Pose.  Silly me.  Thanks!  grin

Signature 

—- Wolff On The Prowl—-

Pan Project

Posted: 26 September 2012 02:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  201
Joined  2006-03-02
RAMWolff - 26 September 2012 02:45 PM
fivecat - 26 September 2012 01:55 PM

Hmm, never thought of using Poser Pose.  Silly me.  Thanks!  grin

There are also lots of hand posing sliders (grasp, fist, etc) in the posing panel under Pose Controls (select the left or right hand first). I’m not sure if these are part of the Evolution morphs or if they are included with the base Genesis figure.

Posted: 26 September 2012 03:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  13610
Joined  2003-10-09
RKane_1 - 26 September 2012 02:35 PM

Is there a way to tell DAZ to select all the siblings or select all parents of a selected item? Like if I click on hand, then click “Select all siblings” it will select all the fingers?

It would be even more helpful if I could do that and effect the scaling on all the siblings

No, there isn’t -though it should be scriptable. Though siblings are items at the same level, you mean children.

Signature 

DAZ Studio Frequently Asked Questions

Index of free DAZ Studio scripts and plugins list

1 of 3