Digital Art Zone

1 of 3
Housekeeping and Maintenance for DS4
Posted: 25 September 2012 03:32 PM   [ Ignore ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2226
Joined  2005-09-05

Recently I had a crash while searching for new products and the cms stopped working. In the process of fixing it I couldn’t use Adam’s great advice below and lost my category data and had to go back to migrating the old data.

It occured to me that we don’t always think to back up our categories like Adam suggested below.

adamr001 - 18 September 2012 11:25 AM

I’ve run into this issue before.  Ultimately it boils down to a database corruption but don’t get too worried.  It’s recoverable.  smile

Here’s what I did.

Process 1: Data Security aka backup the databases.
Close DAZ Studio.
Stop the DAZ Content Management Service
Backup your databases folder. (Just copy the whole folder to a new location).
Restart the DAZ Content Management Service.

Process 2: Exporting User Data
Start DAZ Studio.
On the Content tab go to the context menu at the top corner and select Content DB Maintenance.
Check the next to last checkbox “Export User Data”.
Wait patiently.  This process can take a LONG time.  (it took my system almost 2 hours) and DAZ Studio can appear as if it is “not responding”.  Just leave it alone until it finishes.
Exit DAZ Studio

Process 3: Scary time!
Make sure DAZ Studio isn’t running.
Stop the DAZ Content Management Service
Delete the contents of the databases folder.  @_@  Yes, that’s right.  Nuke it from orbit.  kaput!  Delete, gone. ^_^
Start the DAZ Content Management Service. (You’ll note that it recreates several files in the databases folder).
Start DAZ Studio.
It will prompt you to import metadata and you’ll note it will also mention “User Files” in the list.  Make sure those are checked.
Let the import process run (it’ll run about as long as it took the export to run, maybe a little longer).
Breathe a sigh of relief as you note that almost everything appears normal.
Scan Known Directories for Files.
Breathe a sigh of frustration as you realize that, yes, some stuff didn’t make it.  This is the stuff where the corruption was (for me it was an entire tree of stuff).
Recategorize and go. 

Process 4:
Make regular backups of your DAZ CMS databases. wink

I thought it might be worthwhile to have a thread in the new users that details all the little things that can be useful to help maintain our database for DS4
The first being to make a regular backup of DAZ CMS databases

Exporting User Data
Start DAZ Studio.
On the Content tab go to the context menu at the top corner and select Content DB Maintenance.
Check the next to last checkbox “Export User Data”.
Wait patiently.  This process can take a LONG time.  (it took my system almost 2 hours) and DAZ Studio can appear as if it is “not responding”.  Just leave it alone until it finishes.
Exit DAZ Studio
Adamr001
If you think of anything that could be added to this list please post in this thread and I will add it to the original post.

Note: This process of exporting data only took me about 15mins.

Second little gem I found was this one explaining how to get smart content back if you can’t see it but can see categories.

There is more useful info to be found in the thread I got it from found here

smarties - 02 September 2012 03:29 PM

I was experiencing the same problem on Mac, until I read this thread and started experiencing.

I solved the problem by navigating to /Library/DAZ 3D/Content Management Service/databases and deleting all the folder content (I noticed they were old — since I installed DAZ Studio 3 one year ago, means never been used by the software).

I then opened the Content DB Maintenance as mentioned above on the thread, and checked Re-import Metadata, let it process and everything was solved since. Now I can see Smart Content populated, finally!

I hope this will help you.

I would only add when you delete the files from the folder save them somewhere just in case…

Also don’t panic when initially the categories go back to default when you import the metadata make sure to tick user data…you did remember to export your user data on a regular basis didn’t you?

Also, thank you to the kind person who stickied this thread!

Signature 

Shadermixer tutorials and recipes
My ShareCG Gallery
Shadermixer Documents

Posted: 26 September 2012 05:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4914
Joined  2012-04-07

How do you stop/start the DAZ Content Management Service?

Signature 

Posted: 26 September 2012 05:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-09-05
Patience55 - 26 September 2012 05:05 AM

Go to the circular icon on the bottom left hand corner in windows and navigate to the folder containing the CMS. There is a link you can click which starts the CMS and one to stop it as well as the uninstall link.

Signature 

My ShareCG Gallery
Shadermixer Documents

Posted: 26 September 2012 06:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4914
Joined  2012-04-07
Pendraia - 26 September 2012 05:11 AM
Patience55 - 26 September 2012 05:05 AM

Go to the circular icon on the bottom left hand corner in windows and navigate to the folder containing the CMS. There is a link you can click which starts the CMS and one to stop it as well as the uninstall link.

Well I’ll be, that was too easy! Thank you grin

Signature 

Posted: 28 September 2012 08:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  77
Joined  2006-01-06

mY apologises misread that thread title

Posted: 21 October 2012 11:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2012-10-15

There was nothing in the Smart Content tab so i did this and now there’s data in the Smart Content tab - but nothing in the Shaping tab. This is in DS4.5. What do I do to get default Genesis morphs back into the Shaper tab?

Posted: 21 October 2012 01:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1863
Joined  2011-07-31

You will probably find them in your Parameters tab.  Just one of the changes made in 4.5.

Signature 

AtticAnne in Austin TX

FREE GANGSTER RPG GAME

Posted: 22 October 2012 01:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2012-10-15

Turns out I forgot to run DAZ Studio in Administrator, everything showed up again once I did that.

Posted: 22 October 2012 06:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  67
Joined  2009-02-20

Hmm, what if you have no content management folder?  I found it yesterday and uninstalled it because none of my smart content was showing up and I’d tried everything else I could find on the forum about it not working properly (including reinstalling 4.5 uninstalling it, reinstalling it etc).  I had aim of uninstalling the content manager and then reinstalling it…but now I haven’t been able to find an installer for it.  Even reinstalling daz studio (a number of times) hasn’t replaced it.

Posted: 22 October 2012 08:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8513
Joined  2007-11-06
HippyChick - 22 October 2012 06:54 PM

Hmm, what if you have no content management folder?  I found it yesterday and uninstalled it because none of my smart content was showing up and I’d tried everything else I could find on the forum about it not working properly (including reinstalling 4.5 uninstalling it, reinstalling it etc).  I had aim of uninstalling the content manager and then reinstalling it…but now I haven’t been able to find an installer for it.  Even reinstalling daz studio (a number of times) hasn’t replaced it.

Make sure when you reinstall DS, you say “Yes” to customizing the CMS install, then install it to a DIFFERENT location (both the location for the application and the location for the databases).  That’ll ensure a fresh version gets installed.

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ

Product Updates: Non-Genesis/G2 DIM Zips starting July 2013
Non-Genesis Items with Metadata
Plugin Version Numbers for DS 4.5
Updated Genesis Products

Posted: 22 October 2012 09:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  67
Joined  2009-02-20

Thanks heaps! I’ll give it a go :D

Posted: 23 October 2012 01:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-09-05

Thanks Mike and Anne for helping! Sorry I haven’t been around the last few days…Mum has been in hospital since last Friday. She’s on the mend though which is good.

Signature 

My ShareCG Gallery
Shadermixer Documents

Posted: 24 October 2012 09:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-07-31

You’re welcome.  I don’t know enough to be much help though.  Good to hear that your mum’s better.

Signature 

AtticAnne in Austin TX

FREE GANGSTER RPG GAME

Posted: 25 October 2012 12:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-09-05
AtticAnne - 24 October 2012 09:26 AM

You’re welcome.  I don’t know enough to be much help though.  Good to hear that your mum’s better.

thanks…we’re hoping she will come home tomorrow. Fingers crossed….

Signature 

My ShareCG Gallery
Shadermixer Documents

Posted: 26 May 2013 07:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  57
Joined  2007-09-10

Okay, I am in despair. NOTHING I try will show me my content!!!  It wouldn’t in Daz 4.5, and I’ve just installed 4.6 and followed suggestions to tell it to install content somewhere else, and still nothing. I’ve been battling with this right through Daz 4 series, have stopped creating stuff because I just CANNOT find out how to make it work! See attachment for what I’m seeing. I have tried all the tips. Somebody shoot me. Or help me. Please?

Thank you guys!

Image Attachments
DS-CMS-Capture.PNG
 Signature 

Jo Holloway
3DScreenCraft
Anchored and free

Posted: 26 May 2013 08:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-07-31

Check Task Manager to see if your CMS is running.

Have you pointed it to the location of your Library under Edit-Preferences?

Signature 

AtticAnne in Austin TX

FREE GANGSTER RPG GAME

1 of 3