2 of 2
Sayin’ Hello
Posted: 02 June 2012 08:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8380
Joined  2007-11-06
_ PJF _ - 02 June 2012 05:41 PM

Ahh, I think I understand why some threads with newer updates are relegated to ancient history - they are internally marked as awaiting moderator approval.

Sorry DAZ, a policy of

“anything not mandatory is prohibited”

is suitable for totalitarian states, not free-market business.. Whither ye….

Nice theorizing, but no, posts don’t require pre-approval.  The problem is that threads are listed in order of the initial post—later posts do not bump the thread to the top.  It’s on the list to be fixed.

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ

Product Updates: Non-Genesis/G2 DIM Zips starting July 2013
Non-Genesis Items with Metadata
Plugin Version Numbers for DS 4.5
Updated Genesis Products

Posted: 04 June 2012 07:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  279
Joined  2009-08-18

@pumeco
@PJF
thank you for the welcome.

Speaking of madness, I have been working on a couple of projects which I hope to share soon. But I ether crash DAZ3 or crash Bryce7, first from sending to Bryce, and if that works, then Bryce crashes when I work on the textures. I succesfully created something in DAZ4 I guess with the Autofit, although I don’t see that term anywhere. A dialog comes up and asks what original model a garment item was made for and fits it on the default Genesis. I did get that model to Bryce, but had to reboot the computer after a few tries. DAZ still doesnt seem to let go of memory even when properly quit, and eventually I imagine the path is clogged, like a vacuum cleaner hose. I wonder if there is a “coathanger” to unclog the memory rather than having to reboot?

Signature 

See my gallery http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/users/?q=IceScribe&x=14&y=10

Posted: 05 June 2012 06:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  506
Joined  2004-06-12

Sorry to hear of the problems, but wouldn’t know where to start to fix it.

Ever since I first saw Poser, I’ve always wanted to have figures, dynamic hair, and dynamic cloth in one program, and that would be a program I could stick to and master.  I’ve tried, over the years, to get along with importer/exporters, but it’s all crap, all of it.  No matter what program I’ve tried, no matter how cheap or expensive - it’s all crap.

At least when it comes to transferring stuff, there’s always something that doesn’t work.

Bryce is my all time favourite 3D app, but I don’t even have it installed now.  It’s a waste of time for me because the figure importers/exporters don’t, and never have, done what they’re supposed to do in a reliable fashion.  And even if they did, I think in the year 2012 it’s a bit much to be rendering with static hair and cloth even if it did work.

So I started looking into DAZ Studio, which is nice, but there’s too much stuff going on, too complicated for simple tasks, options all over the place, and we’re still, after two years now, without any glimpse of a way to “Clothify” our own clothes.  Great plugin, but as usual, something that was supposed to be coming still hasn’t turned up.  As the basis of the technology has been in use for years now, I can only assume that no “Clothify” function is ever going to materialise.

I see Poser as currently my only option, and I regret dropping it all those years back.  At least with Poser you get a better interface (sort of Bryce like), and you actually have both dynamic hair and dynamic cloth in the same program as the figure and animation abilities.  That means problems with pathetic importers/exporters are out of the picture.

To me, all this inter-app transfer crap is the 3D equivalent of what Apple practice; manipulation I don’t agree with - and won’t be forced into.  I’d rather go back to pencil and paper, produce artwork that is original, physical, and sellable - and save myself an absolute fortune in software in the process.  The only purchases I’ve made for 3D recently is for the muscle morphs and some dynamic cloth.  Not a penny more is being spent on 3D until I can actually do what I expect to be able to do, without bugs stopping me, without lack of features stopping me, and without messy interfaces stopping me.

As you can see, I share your frustration.

Posted: 05 June 2012 06:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15127
Joined  2003-10-09
IceScribe - 04 June 2012 07:42 PM

@pumeco
@PJF
thank you for the welcome.

Speaking of madness, I have been working on a couple of projects which I hope to share soon. But I ether crash DAZ3 or crash Bryce7, first from sending to Bryce, and if that works, then Bryce crashes when I work on the textures. I succesfully created something in DAZ4 I guess with the Autofit, although I don’t see that term anywhere. A dialog comes up and asks what original model a garment item was made for and fits it on the default Genesis. I did get that model to Bryce, but had to reboot the computer after a few tries. DAZ still doesnt seem to let go of memory even when properly quit, and eventually I imagine the path is clogged, like a vacuum cleaner hose. I wonder if there is a “coathanger” to unclog the memory rather than having to reboot?

I have to admit I use Poser as the way to set up my figures before transferring them into Bryce, have done since buying P3, back in the day (started on Bryce2)  Ok It takes a bit of work tweaking and sorting out the texture settings, but once you have a workflow going it is much my preferred way of working.

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        E Summer Bryce Rendering Challenge        July Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 06 June 2012 09:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  279
Joined  2009-08-18

@chohole
I don’t know Poser software. It seems expensive to me for my level of skill. Maybe one of these days…soon wink
Meanwhile, I’ve worked on importing various objects to Bryce. Some were sent through the bridge from DAZ if I’m feeling lazy and don’t want to have to go find the textures. Others I add my own textures. I’ll be working on a pose for V4 but I am happy with the set so far. Here’s my first post of this work. Credits are lengthy…available upon reequest. I’ve used many artists’ contributions, freebies and purchased from various sites. I start out with an object and build around it. I liked the galvanized tub.. Many years ago, I stayed at a farm in Northern California. They had a tiny bathhouse built from recycled materials. It was so cozy and comfortable. Actually simpler than this
room I created. But I hope I captured the ambience.

Image Attachments
AntiqueBath.jpg
 Signature 

See my gallery http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/users/?q=IceScribe&x=14&y=10

2 of 2