Digital Art Zone

7 of 8
OctaneRender for Daz Studio
Posted: 26 September 2012 06:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 91 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1767
Joined  2003-10-09

but that is what you can do , link one texture to different material nodes ,  for that you need to create new material macro with all different materials nodes like diffuse , specular, normal or bump maps and later plug it in the right material zone , you can then save it for later user it is good to resize all maps to 2000x2000 to save the memory as the 4K will not make big difference from 2K as the pixel sample is much higher than in DS it will bring more details with smaller maps .

Signature 

Just Released :The Aviatrix &  The Vampire Huntress
MEC4D PRODUCTS BY DAZ3D
MEC4D HOME

Posted: 26 September 2012 07:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 92 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2303
Joined  2010-12-18
Mec4D - 26 September 2012 06:38 AM

but that is what you can do , link one texture to different material nodes ,  for that you need to create new material macro with all different materials nodes like diffuse , specular, normal or bump maps and later plug it in the right material zone , you can then save it for later user it is good to resize all maps to 2000x2000 to save the memory as the 4K will not make big difference from 2K as the pixel sample is much higher than in DS it will bring more details with smaller maps .

gotcha, is there a way to make a macro from an existing material?

Signature 

My deviantArt Pinup Gallery

Posted: 26 September 2012 07:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 93 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

the materials you are loading with the obj are from mtl file that is not macro and can’t be saved as new macro , if you plug in a node the mtl material info would be gone and you would have to set new macro or load it again , to make it is very easy , right click on the tab then select from the menu new macro , then plug it in the material zone you desire, then click 2 times on the macro it will be opened in next tab where you can add diffuse node doing the same steps as with the macro, then you can load there all your textures you need including specular normal etc.. after you are done you return back to the main tab and save the macro with the all data for later use .. I will make a mini tutor for that and let you know when it is up .. I wanna do also my sss for skin tutor as I have a nice one and simple I created .. and for all other stuff as wax and translucent stones .. etc as usual I am going to put it on youtube and in my forum as archive

larsmidnatt - 26 September 2012 07:24 AM
Mec4D - 26 September 2012 06:38 AM

gotcha, is there a way to make a macro from an existing material?

Signature 

MEC4D PRODUCTS BY DAZ3D
MEC4D HOME

Posted: 26 September 2012 08:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 94 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-12-18
Mec4D - 26 September 2012 07:35 AM

the materials you are loading with the obj are from mtl file that is not macro and can’t be saved as new macro , if you plug in a node the mtl material info would be gone and you would have to set new macro or load it again , to make it is very easy , right click on the tab then select from the menu new macro , then plug it in the material zone you desire, then click 2 times on the macro it will be opened in next tab where you can add diffuse node doing the same steps as with the macro, then you can load there all your textures you need including specular normal etc.. after you are done you return back to the main tab and save the macro with the all data for later use .. I will make a mini tutor for that and let you know when it is up .. I wanna do also my sss for skin tutor as I have a nice one and simple I created .. and for all other stuff as wax and translucent stones .. etc as usual I am going to put it on youtube and in my forum as archive

thanks much can’t wait for the mini tutorial. I’d try this now but im supposed to be working…

Signature 

Posted: 26 September 2012 08:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 95 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4524
Joined  2007-09-13

Has anyone else installed the demo or ‘full’ version of Octane on Linux?

I’m having difficulties…partly because I’m NOT using one of the distros that has a prebuilt CUDA Toolkit…just wasted a bunch of time because the only package I could find for my distro that I don’t have to jump through hoops for was a 4.1.x package of the toolkit.  Downloading and rebuilding a package for 4.0.17, now. I hate when there are no ‘generic’ or source packages and I need to repackage something.

I guess what I’m asking…before I get too far into it, does anyone know IF it has to be an exact version match or is 4.0.x (like I said, I found 4.0.17 at Nvidia) good enough?

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Just because something costs a lot, doesn’t mean it’s the best…

It just means it’s expensive.

Posted: 26 September 2012 08:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 96 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

from what I know 4.0.x and up ...

mjc1016 - 26 September 2012 08:38 AM

Has anyone else installed the demo or ‘full’ version of Octane on Linux?

I’m having difficulties…partly because I’m NOT using one of the distros that has a prebuilt CUDA Toolkit…just wasted a bunch of time because the only package I could find for my distro that I don’t have to jump through hoops for was a 4.1.x package of the toolkit.  Downloading and rebuilding a package for 4.0.17, now. I hate when there are no ‘generic’ or source packages and I need to repackage something.

I guess what I’m asking…before I get too far into it, does anyone know IF it has to be an exact version match or is 4.0.x (like I said, I found 4.0.17 at Nvidia) good enough?

Signature 

MEC4D PRODUCTS BY DAZ3D
MEC4D HOME

Posted: 26 September 2012 09:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 97 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-13

Thanks, got it…now to find something to play around with.

And yes, it needed a 4.0.x not a 4.1.x.

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Posted: 27 September 2012 12:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 98 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-12-18

Here is where I have gotten so far. this character was also used in the first lux render I ever posted on dA. Here she is in octane. I mostly do fantasy so I don’t worry too much about everything being all realistic, for example she has wings wink but I think the image quality isn’t too bad at this point. Will do more studying up this weekend.

oh and i just used direct lighting with AO type 4. Opted not to use the other kernals since I felt this one looked just as good if not better for this situation.

EDIT: Just uploaded the full version to my dA account. NUDITY http://fav.me/d5g5ecr

Image Attachments
day2.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 29 September 2012 02:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 99 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-12-18

here’s another one. Full version on my dA account. NUDITY must be logged in. http://fav.me/d5gci9f

Image Attachments
rockhead.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 30 November 2012 01:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 100 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  116
Joined  2004-10-23

Still playing with Daz2Octane

Image Attachments
Catchwatertest2fa.jpg

Posted: 30 November 2012 04:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 101 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  219
Joined  2005-10-18

Hi Tugpsx,

How long before your plugin becomes available for purchase.???

I am waiting in eager anticipation.

Cheers,

S.K.

Posted: 30 November 2012 05:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 102 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  177
Joined  2004-06-23

is the DAZ plugin going to be cheaper than the standalone or more expensive?

Posted: 30 November 2012 07:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 103 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-12-18
Bea - 30 November 2012 05:57 AM

You will need the standalone to run the plugin, just like all the other plugins. Sadly they just upped the price of the standalone because it is now final or very close to it. So about 200 euros. My guess the plugin will be about 100 euros.

I’m still waiting on the integrated plugin since it will speed up the workflow a lot. But for the time being I have been just exporting manually.

Here’s my Morrigan statuette and one of my fantasy pinups. I’m using Octane for non-realistic stuff these days just cause I can. I did some realistic stuff for a bit and now I’m just back to making fun stuff.

Image Attachments
morrigan_aensland_statuette_by_larsmidnatt-d5mj56y.jpgmaximum_mage_by_larsmidnatt-d5m8agi.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 30 November 2012 04:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 104 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-13
larsmidnatt - 30 November 2012 07:17 AM
Bea - 30 November 2012 05:57 AM

You will need the standalone to run the plugin, just like all the other plugins. Sadly they just upped the price of the standalone because it is now final or very close to it. So about 200 euros. My guess the plugin will be about 100 euros.

I’m still waiting on the integrated plugin since it will speed up the workflow a lot. But for the time being I have been just exporting manually.

Here’s my Morrigan statuette and one of my fantasy pinups. I’m using Octane for non-realistic stuff these days just cause I can. I did some realistic stuff for a bit and now I’m just back to making fun stuff.

Sorry…over $300 to get Octane and DS to play nice…no thanks.

I can do Luxrender for a lot less than that…POVray…and of course 3Delight all much, much cheaper…even Cycles.

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Posted: 30 November 2012 10:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 105 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-12-18

I agree, I’ve said it a few times in various places myself that price will be a hurdle for some people. Fortunately everyone gets to pick what works for them. Cycles and POVray are alternatives for those who are interested, will come down to what interests you most. Luxrender isn’t comparable as it’s slow as can be. You end up spending a ton more on computers and electricity then you would buying Octane. But then again you could surely try out cycles with blender and not pay anything.

Octane has a free demo for those who want to try it out and see what the results are. After I tried the demo i opted to make the jump and get away from Lux and it has worked well for me.

Signature 

7 of 8