Digital Art Zone

6 of 8
OctaneRender for Daz Studio
Posted: 25 September 2012 08:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 76 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2302
Joined  2010-12-18

Yeah i still prefer full towers for my computer room and use mid size cases for the play room.

Anyway I’m making progress on the tutorial videos, but I decided to experiment with the lighting (before i got there in the tutorial series)and found the daylight lighting system where you can pick your location and pick the day, time and month. That made me squee a bit…even with terrible materials right now (my fault), the lighting is nice…

Signature 

My deviantArt Pinup Gallery

Posted: 25 September 2012 08:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 77 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  174
Joined  2004-06-23

I am really looking forward to this plug in smile
Have we any idea when it will be ready and which versions of DAZ Studio it will work in?

Posted: 25 September 2012 08:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 78 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-12-18
Bea - 25 September 2012 08:37 PM

Have we any idea when it will be ready and which versions of DAZ Studio it will work in?

they said in the forums 4.5 and the two immediate releases prior to it.

Signature 

Posted: 26 September 2012 03:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 79 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  192
Joined  2005-10-18

Exciting news,

Will have to dust off my version of octane and actually install it.!!!!.

One question Kath, if you know.  Have the octane team managed to sort out the compatibility and performance issues with the latest 6 series Nvidia graphics cards.??

The reason I ask is that these cards have more texture slots availalble to them and you can also get a 4gb version of the 680.  an extra gig always helps.!!!..So may consider getting one of these for octane rendering, should I adopt it fully into my production pipeline.

Cheers,

S.K.

Posted: 26 September 2012 04:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 80 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1746
Joined  2003-10-09

DS 3, DS4, and DS 4.5

Bea - 25 September 2012 08:37 PM

Signature 

Just Released :2 Chinese outfits for Lee6
MEC4D PRODUCTS BY DAZ3D
MEC4D HOME

Posted: 26 September 2012 04:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 81 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

Here are some of my test from DS to Octane
scenes was build in DS

Image Attachments
hot-body-big-JPG.jpgBROOK1S.jpgBROOK4S.jpgbud-lite.jpgcandle.jpg
 Signature 

MEC4D PRODUCTS BY DAZ3D
MEC4D HOME

Posted: 26 September 2012 04:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 82 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

and here couple more .. that what you could render in couple of min at max and not wait over night
it is coming !!

Image Attachments
car-octane.jpggtx-octane.jpgpeppers-new-dof.jpgoctane-gasnica.jpglibra3.jpg
 Signature 

MEC4D PRODUCTS BY DAZ3D
MEC4D HOME

Posted: 26 September 2012 05:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 83 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-12-18
swordkensia - 26 September 2012 03:32 AM

Exciting news,

One question Kath, if you know.  Have the octane team managed to sort out the compatibility and performance issues with the latest 6 series Nvidia graphics cards.??

The reason I ask is that these cards have more texture slots availalble to them and you can also get a 4gb version of the 680.  an extra gig always helps.!!!..So may consider getting one of these for octane rendering, should I adopt it fully into my production pipeline.

Cheers,

S.K.

I have a 3gig 660ti and while its not support at the moment they do have a beta build that works for kepler. its supposed to be 2/3 the speed of the previous generation, but even then I was able to render a 1600x2000 image that looked as good as my lux renders in 7 minutes. The lux render too 15 hours. I’ve still got a lot to learn but the tutorial videos have been helpful.

Edit: I got to 3000 samples in 7 minutes, I never let my lux renders go more than 2000samples due to time…

Signature 

Posted: 26 September 2012 05:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 84 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

No they did not for real that why the plugin programmer recommend 580 over 600 series as that turned to be not what everyone expected
they said to maybe allow to use other graphics cards in the future but exactly when and what is not clear 680 will not speed anything it will be just much slower .. a 580 3GB is a good one already so you can render full stonemason city without issues
and with 3GB of memory you can render 8-9 V5 together textured with different textures ..if you use smart reduction of the resolution ( no compression ) as it don;t matter
I am going to update my future products also special for Octane with macro materials , sss skin shaders and and all stuff .
The plugin material tab is very rich and better as the one in octane so you would have all freedom and fun ..

if you don;t care about the speed that much and need more memory then go for the 680 4GB
but what make Octane so great that simple cheap graphic card have a rendering power that no one of your regular computer will ever have until you render using render farm .. and that is the power of GPU
I need to ask the programmer tomorrow if there would be any changes regarding to the 600-series or any improvement and if it even is sense do spend money on that , as I know they working on improvements

from heart I wish they do something and we can switch to other cards that would be really great and I know that is possible but the decision on that will be make by Otoy that is very careful with any movements .

and regarding to other comments above , there was never a plan to make anything for DS or Poser
this was all by accident , now you get it also for Poser but total different .. I am on the beta team also so can’t wait what it will be all about in the Poser scene in the next days.. but as usual I am under agreement until the releases of both plugin so can’t share the details

swordkensia - 26 September 2012 03:32 AM

Exciting news,

Cheers,

S.K.

Signature 

MEC4D PRODUCTS BY DAZ3D
MEC4D HOME

Posted: 26 September 2012 05:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 85 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

that is very good !  it also depend what kernel you used as not all shades will render with the fast directlight kernel
but not bad at all ...

larsmidnatt - 26 September 2012 05:15 AM

I have a 3gig 660ti and while its not support at the moment they do have a beta build that works for kepler. its supposed to be 2/3 the speed of the previous generation, but even then I was able to render a 1600x2000 image that looked as good as my lux renders in 7 minutes. The lux render too 15 hours. I’ve still got a lot to learn but the tutorial videos have been helpful.

Edit: I got to 3000 samples in 7 minutes, I never let my lux renders go more than 2000samples due to time…

Image Attachments
bitte_ein_bier.jpg
 Signature 

MEC4D PRODUCTS BY DAZ3D
MEC4D HOME

Posted: 26 September 2012 05:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 86 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-12-18

true I can’t always use pathtracing or pmc, but it’s only day one for me so I can wait a bit. Some scenes pathtracing works, others it doesn’t I haven’t learned how those work yet so it could be my fault as well. Either way its working well enough for me to learn the system and get some results.

Signature 

Posted: 26 September 2012 05:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 87 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  192
Joined  2005-10-18

Thanks for the reply Guys,

Excellent info there.

I currently have a gainwood 580 GTX 3gb, so I am at the top of the card ‘table’ at the moment..wink But who knows maybe in the future other cards or platforms may achieve support. 

I know this segment of the CG world is undergoing ALOT of fast development and innovation at the moment..

I am literally itching for this plugin to be released..!!!.

Will there be a range of tutorial Video’s being released..?? I am particlularly thinking in the use of Octanes’ material editor, the abiltity to use just one texture and copy/paste to different material zones, will REALLY help with scene memory management and shader limitations.

Cheers,

S.K.

Posted: 26 September 2012 05:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 88 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  89
Joined  2004-12-19

A couple more samples of human renders in Octane.  The full figures are using half resolution textures & still look detailed & realistic. We’re going back to the basic principles of shading & rendering where a few simple, correct maps & proper light yield amazing results. The node based material editor makes surface setup a breeze, and it is even more elegant & advanced in the DS plugin version.  Very exciting days are ahead!

Image Attachments
m5hardcore02_agfa400cdat14K_1080HD_042912.jpgxodusman01_johnny5_5K_042212.jpgdreamsofmyfuture_f01_040412.jpg
 Signature 

MEC4D ~ 15 Years of 3D Textures, Tools & Characters 4 U~ | Reality 2.5-AVAILABLE NOW! | “Light glorifies everything…light is everything.” – Leonard Missone

Posted: 26 September 2012 05:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 89 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

I like that with directlighting you have control over the ambient occlusion the glossiness and specular and can set the desired level as needed but if you go for caustics or sss there is not choice as go for pathtracing , I remember renderd real diamond it was a very long rendering time .. but hey what is 1 hour for rendering , nothing
when I had my first day I can’t stop rendering it was much fun ..

Signature 

MEC4D PRODUCTS BY DAZ3D
MEC4D HOME

Posted: 26 September 2012 06:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 90 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-12-18
swordkensia - 26 September 2012 05:55 AM

Thanks for the reply Guys,

the abiltity to use just one texture and copy/paste to different material zones, will REALLY help with scene memory management and shader limitations.

Cheers,

S.K.

i would like to know this as well

been watching his videos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXUE-39fwug&feature=player_embedded

Signature 

6 of 8