Digital Art Zone

3 of 8
OctaneRender for Daz Studio
Posted: 25 September 2012 01:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  90
Joined  2004-12-19

Part of the reason you haven’t seen much good skin in Octane, is the same reason early Lux skin renders looked kind of blah, lack of proper material setup.  Mec4D & I discussed in her Octane thread on the old Daz board, the need for simple layering to create what you see in real life.  We’re dealing with physically accurate light & materials, so we have to begin rethinking how we build “shaders” to account for this. Here is an early sample of a SSS skin shader designed for Octane.  This is lit with only the daylight environment in Octane, so it’s just sun & sky providing illumination.

Image Attachments
buddyhairy01_033112_final_watermark.jpg
 Signature 

MEC4D ~ 15 Years of 3D Textures, Tools & Characters 4 U~ | Reality 2.5-AVAILABLE NOW! | “Light glorifies everything…light is everything.” – Leonard Missone

Posted: 25 September 2012 01:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1767
Joined  2003-10-09

I would love to tell you more about new stuff but I am under agreement right now and can’t say a word abut the future but hey , you are invited to my forum if you like for deeper octane conversations in the future http://forum.mec4d.com  ( just open )
as I am going to limit the places where I talk about stuff in the future to save my time,  .. but all I have to say stay tuned up for the new plugin that will be everything you need .. and it is amazing beyond any plugin you ever saw for DS and covering DS3 DS4 and DS4.5

Cath

Signature 

Just Released :The Aviatrix &  The Vampire Huntress
MEC4D PRODUCTS BY DAZ3D
MEC4D HOME

Posted: 25 September 2012 03:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  307
Joined  2005-08-25
Mec4D - 25 September 2012 01:42 AM

but all I have to say stay tuned up for the new plugin that will be everything you need .. and it is amazing beyond any plugin you ever saw for DS and covering DS3 DS4 and DS4.5
Cath

this plugin, will this be some official octane plugin like the other announced by octane or is this just another developing by some daz lover?

Signature 

DAZSTUDIO FUTURE REQUESTS - CLICK ME TO JOIN
Feel free to join, sign and vote for dazstudio future improvements.
(666 users and still counting up to 1000) would like to see improvements, and you?

What features would you like to see appear in dazstudio 5?

Posted: 25 September 2012 04:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

It is from Otoy the owner of Octane and it is Official , you can see preview in my forum also

Signature 

MEC4D PRODUCTS BY DAZ3D
MEC4D HOME

Posted: 25 September 2012 04:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
RankRank
Joined  2005-08-25
Mec4D - 25 September 2012 04:02 AM

It is from Otoy the owner of Octane and it is Official , you can see preview in my forum also

ah that news sounds nice!

i didn’t see anything new on your forum about octance smile
maybe it’s just me smile

Cath you really have to think about some more Zbrush vs dazstudio tutorials as your vids are really great for the community here!
think about a great video tutorial for the daz shop! and ‘m still curious to your cute voice with the little accents red face
there are alot of zbrush video’s around (gnomon, digitaltutors,....),
but there isn’t one that explains the zbrush vs studio proces.
and that part is hard needed here on the community.

Signature 

(666 users and still counting up to 1000) would like to see improvements, and you?

Posted: 25 September 2012 04:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
RankRank
Joined  2005-08-25

Oops my fault, it was under the daz section and not the octane…

Cath
i know i asked it before, but what are your system hardware settings…
you did the octace test runs with?
and what gpu?

Signature 

Posted: 25 September 2012 04:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  345
Joined  2009-03-17

I have been an early adopter of Octane for some months now and while it is not perfect yet it is improving with every new build. Much like Reality and Lux in the beginning, you need to take the time to tweak materials as most default materials just aren’t suitable as is, for a render engine that works on real world lighting principles. Also much like Reality and Lux though there is a budding community and people can share presets within Octane.

It’s new technology but it’s stable and it’s growing and at $99 I feel it was a bargain as the sheer cut in render times alone makes it worth wile. For the best experience though make sure you have a relatively modern CUDA GFX card with no less than 2GB V-RAM.

Signature 

My life is a symphony nearing a crescendo. There have been too many segues in this piece and I long for a caesura.

Posted: 25 September 2012 05:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

Harry Harry .. no comments on that seems like you used a lot but still not know nothing about ..

Signature 

MEC4D PRODUCTS BY DAZ3D
MEC4D HOME

Posted: 25 September 2012 06:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  345
Joined  2009-03-17
Mec4D - 25 September 2012 05:54 AM

Harry Harry .. no comments on that seems like you used a lot but still not know nothing about ..

Kathy Kathy…there’s nothing mysterious about Octane although you try to make it sound like it…

Signature 

My life is a symphony nearing a crescendo. There have been too many segues in this piece and I long for a caesura.

Posted: 25 September 2012 07:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

I was talking about the plugin that is very mysterious .. 
Octane for me is the best engine for rendering ..  my personal opinion it is the future
it is simple and simple is beautiful , and I talk with passion and not mysterious raspberry

that what the programmers did to Poser and DS with the not standard fake materials that works nowhere else ..
you can’t get it real so let fake it ..  using color maps as bump maps and other nonsense .. this is not 3D art
all global standard maps and materials are translated to Octane based on mtl .. but not all as the programs don;t export them correctly in first place .. that why you need a plugin that will do the job for you, and all you need is putting stuff inside your ds scene and render it in real time without to waiting over night , it is not good enough ?  it is already .. a perfect picture each time a magic art button for real

Signature 

MEC4D PRODUCTS BY DAZ3D
MEC4D HOME

Posted: 25 September 2012 07:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2303
Joined  2010-12-18

this is not 3D art

Says you. People go about things different ways and while this(octane) may be the future for you it doesn’t negate what everyone else does. Allowing a color map as a bump map was just to make things easier for people, if people want to shortcut let them.

Anyway, I opted to pick up a license and a new video card. If I can get away from using lux I’ll be a happy camper. I’ll still use 3Delight a ton, its very good at stylized lighting and I do a lot of that. But when I do psuedo realistic stuff not letting things run overnight in lux will be good.

I was rolling around the octane standalone forums and saw some good results with daz characters and the forum seemed to be willing to share settings and knowledge. Thats important to me, I like to read as much as I can from others, use an example to start and tweak from there. I don’t expect any 1 click wonders.

Signature 

My deviantArt Pinup Gallery

Posted: 25 September 2012 08:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  90
Joined  2004-12-19
larsmidnatt - 25 September 2012 07:42 AM
Mec4D - 25 September 2012 07:09 AM

this is not 3D art

Actually it is, no need to a snob. People go about things different ways and while this(octane) may be the future for you it doesn’t negate what everyone else does. Allowing a color map as a bump map was just to make things easier for people, if people want to shortcut let them. Don’t get me started…

It’s all “3D art”, but if we’re talking about realism & physical accuracy (which is the main selling points of engines like Octane & Lux), there are established standards for lighting,  photography, & computer graphics, that should be followed in order to easily achieve a “realistic” result. The shader tricks that have been used before aren’t needed with these engines (and will often give a poor result), but a basic understanding of what they were being used to accomplish is.  Poser & DS in particular have their own bag of tricks that are specific to these programs & in some cases deviate from what would otherwise be considered “standard operating procedure” in any other 3D software.  If the user gets the look he or she wants out of it., great!  But it still doesn’t change the fact that it may not be the “correct” way to get a particular result. Nothing snobby about that at all grin

larsmidnatt - 25 September 2012 07:42 AM

Anyway, I opted to use my meager extra earnings to pick up a license and a new video card. If I can get away from using Lux I’ll be a happy camper. I’ll still use 3Delight a ton, its very good at stylized lighting and I do a lot of that. But when I do psuedo realistic stuff not letting things run overnight in Lux will be good.

I was rolling around the octane standalone forums and saw some good results with Daz characters and the forum seemed to be willing to share settings and knowledge. That’s important to me, I like to read as much as I can from others, use an example to start and tweak from there. I don’t expect any 1 click wonders.

The beauty of Octane, or Reality/Lux, is that with “one click” we can get much better results out of the box, with little user intervention. You can’t get more “Artist Friendly” than that.  However, will the results be the best possible image that these render engines can produce? (in other words a “perfect” photoreal render) Likely not, but that is where craft & creativity take over & we as artists can tweak & adjust things to get what is in our mind’s eye onto the screen. And when we tweak, we can get consistent results quickly & easily compared to what would be needed in Firefly or DS 3Delight to get the same result.  And most importantly the DS artists can now take advantage of a much more universal skill set that has been established in other visual arts for centuries. Light is light, and works the same for the painter, the sculptor, the photographer, and now for the CG artist as well!

Signature 

MEC4D ~ 15 Years of 3D Textures, Tools & Characters 4 U~ | Reality 2.5-AVAILABLE NOW! | “Light glorifies everything…light is everything.” – Leonard Missone

Posted: 25 September 2012 08:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

I don’t care what they use and how they do but they should not complain about something if they don’t follow the simple rules of usage , not for nothing different maps was created to deliver different stuff if they keep doing nonsense they will never go anywhere , doing what some of they do don’t have any function , still they expecting realistic stuff and as usual blame for it the program .. and not own wrong ways of usage and alternatives , I am to long in this community to take it as for me it is total BS .  People need to learn a little bit and that is the reason I say what I say in my preview post .
Bringing alternatives from Poser and DS to octane will not work the way the program was design for , it will make it looking even worse , it is different app with own standard rule so if someone is interested to learn about and use it then go ahead , it is personal choice for everyone as everyone have to find what is best for them to work with and as usual everything take time to learn and feel comfortable with whatever it is . Just because one person do better stuff using one app don;t mean the other is bad, it is about what you can do with , and yes you can create excellent stuff in all apps it is depended of what you create that why I don’t limit myself to only one and use them all and each for specific project . I love octane as it speed the work I do for my clients and deliver the most realistic effect in minimum of time that other can not or are to slow , but that is my personal opinion and I am far away from conversation about what is better and what is not ..

and sorry for the reply but you got me started as well smile lol

Signature 

MEC4D PRODUCTS BY DAZ3D
MEC4D HOME

Posted: 25 September 2012 08:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-12-18

Looking at Mec4D reply I think it was just a lanuage barrier issue. The original post read very differently that the reply.

Signature 

Posted: 25 September 2012 08:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-12-18
Mec4D - 25 September 2012 08:10 AM

and sorry for the reply but you got me started as well smile lol

Ok I think I understand what you are saying now. I agree people should learn the programs they are using. Your comment seemed like it was talking about Poser or Daz and not about people using other tools incorrectly.

For clarity on my part, when I said let people use color texture maps in bump map I thought you meant in DS or poser. And even in those programs its not the best way to go…

Signature 

3 of 8