Digital Art Zone

1 of 8
OctaneRender for Daz Studio
Posted: 24 September 2012 08:15 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  27
Joined  2008-02-08

Couldn’t find a post about it already, but finally I will have my prefered render in Studio without 3rd party software or export:

OctaneRender for Daz Studio - Initial Overview
http://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=23663&start=10

Posted: 24 September 2012 08:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  363
Joined  2003-10-09

cool smile..I’ve been wanting to look into Octane for a while now…a D|S plugin sure makes things easier!

Posted: 24 September 2012 09:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  52
Joined  2011-09-11

i have been using octane for 8 months and it is just wonderful. the plugin will make it easier but it’s easy right now once you learn octane. i may even opt to stay with the standalone version of octane even after the plugin is released.

it’s a gpu renderer, so if you have a fast graphic card render times for my projects are all under 30 min, i see posts about 2 hour renders with daz or lux and I laugh because it would be 15 min in octane. need more speed, get another graphic card (nvidia).

at first my only issue was animation, that was resolved a few months ago. i’m not one for giving out technical advice, but if you are willing to invest in the learning curve it is the single best thing one can do to improve your renders.

the workflow that work for me is:

sketchup
blender
kinect mocap
scupltris/goz

any/all

export into daz, add characters
exoprt into octane
import renders into after effects
end

sometimes i export sketchup or blender direct into octane then export the character into octane.

Posted: 24 September 2012 11:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  863
Joined  2005-11-06

Looks good. I am a luxrender/Reality user and have used Octane in the past with 3DSMax. My main concerns are the cost and the node system which I never cared for. The standalone license for Octane is just over $100 so i hope the plugin is reasonably priced. Looks like it’‘s time to upgrade my graphics card for more memory/cuda cores.

Signature 

Regards, Michael

“Documentation? Who needs documentation, just open it and learn!”

My DeviantArt Gallery

My DAZ Gallery

Posted: 24 September 2012 11:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1860
Joined  2006-02-17
3d-username - 24 September 2012 09:26 AM

i have been using octane for 8 months and it is just wonderful. the plugin will make it easier but it’s easy right now once you learn octane. i may even opt to stay with the standalone version of octane even after the plugin is released.

it’s a gpu renderer, so if you have a fast graphic card render times for my projects are all under 30 min, i see posts about 2 hour renders with daz or lux and I laugh because it would be 15 min in octane. need more speed, get another graphic card (nvidia).

at first my only issue was animation, that was resolved a few months ago. i’m not one for giving out technical advice, but if you are willing to invest in the learning curve it is the single best thing one can do to improve your renders.

the workflow that work for me is:

sketchup
blender
kinect mocap
scupltris/goz

any/all

export into daz, add characters
exoprt into octane
import renders into after effects
end

sometimes i export sketchup or blender direct into octane then export the character into octane.

Octane is excellent, however I want to comment on the 3Delight thing:  The render here and here are done in 3delight, with UberEnvironment2, UberSpot used for the streetlights in the dusk scene), full-raytracing on 20 lights, SSS on the Worm, and ALL of the Urban Sprawl loaded and the 3Delight Linux Standalone 64 bit 10.0.50 ( renderdl -q -progress <filename> ) took just over 3 minutes on a Quad-core AMD-Phenom 2.5Ghz.

EDIT:  I did not turn off raytracing for the hair.  It was the default load, no changes.

$ time renderdl -q -progress mavka_l4w.rib
real 3m19.794s
user 6m10.284s
sys 0m0.723s

3Delight doesn’t necessarily NEED to take a long time to render.  It just needs the right environment.

Kendall

Signature 

Any opinions expressed in this post are those of Kendall Sears and may, or may not, be more, or less, valid than any other opinion.

The contents of this post are intended for the DAZ forum only, do not re-post any portion to any other forum without his permission.

Posted: 24 September 2012 11:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2302
Joined  2010-12-18
FSMCDesigns - 24 September 2012 11:33 AM

Looks good. I am a luxrender/Reality user and have used Octane in the past with 3DSMax. My main concerns are the cost and the node system which I never cared for. The standalone license for Octane is just over $100 so i hope the plugin is reasonably priced. Looks like it’‘s time to upgrade my graphics card for more memory/cuda cores.

The node thing is bothering me too.  I’ll try the demo on my older machine, it has a slower CPU but a cuda compatible video card. I haven’t seen any good skin renders in the octane gallery so I don’t think this is my cup of tea anyway, there are plenty of nice renders but not skin I could love.

I don’t have an issue with my 3delight render speed most of the time, but lux on the other hand is troublesome.8-40 hours using two machines is getting tiresome. Thing with reality is that I have been able to create some nice looking skin. That is a major sticking point for me since I primarily do pinups. Stones, Plastics, glass and metals are really all secondary if not tertiary in my priorities.

Can’t wait to get home and try the demo though.

Signature 

My deviantArt Pinup Gallery

Posted: 24 September 2012 11:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-12-18

Kendall, what resolution were your renders? I like to do 3000-5000pixels

EDIT: 3Delight license prices are crazy…

Signature 

Posted: 24 September 2012 11:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-17
larsmidnatt - 24 September 2012 11:54 AM

For those two, it was done @ 1024x768 for the forums.

EDIT: Also, I forgot to specify that the Raytracing bounces are set to 6, and the shading rate set at 0.20

Kendall

Signature 

Any opinions expressed in this post are those of Kendall Sears and may, or may not, be more, or less, valid than any other opinion.

The contents of this post are intended for the DAZ forum only, do not re-post any portion to any other forum without his permission.

Posted: 24 September 2012 11:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-12-18

thanks, I’m assuming that 3d-username was talking about substantially larger images than that, but my assumption could be wrong. I would hope not otherwise those quoted times are not impressive at all.

Signature 

Posted: 24 September 2012 12:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-17

This is the FREE version.  Limited to 2 cores.  Still took 3 minutes.

EDIT:  Just to specify… octane would take a matter of about 30 seconds to render those scenes.  My point is that 3Delight doesn’t need hours to render.  It can take that long, if the conditions are right, but it doesn’t always take a long time.

Kendall

Signature 

Posted: 24 September 2012 12:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-12-18
Kendall Sears - 24 September 2012 12:00 PM

Kendall

Kendall, by chance do you know how long the same scene renders in daz? I can’t imagine it would be slower than the stand-alone @ 2 cores. And I hate to derail the thread but I’m really curious. Have you done renders within studio and others with the standalone 3-delight free version and found that the standalone renders faster???

Signature 

Posted: 24 September 2012 12:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-17
larsmidnatt - 24 September 2012 12:05 PM
Kendall Sears - 24 September 2012 12:00 PM

Kendall

Kendall, by chance do you know how long the same scene renders in daz? I can’t imagine it would be slower than the stand-alone @ 2 cores. And I hate to derail the thread but I’m really curious. Have you done renders within studio and others with the standalone 3-delight free version and found that the standalone renders faster???

I have not timed these two specific scenes in DS, as they were quicky “20 minute” like things.  I just happened to have their times in a terminal session’s buffer for easy posting.  I guess I could create a bigger test.

Yes.  Whether it takes longer in Studio is dependent on a number of things.  First is the number of cores available.  The Studio version of 3delight is not core limited as the free standalone is.  Second is the complexity of the scene.  The overhead of Studio running on a heavy scene can come into play.  Third is the OS.  The Linux Version of 3Delight *flies*.

I always use the standalone for anything non-trivial as I like to farm out my rendering to other nodes, and continue working.  DS is locked until the render finishes if done internal.

Kendall

Signature 

Posted: 24 September 2012 12:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-12-18

Thanks for the info.

Signature 

Posted: 24 September 2012 12:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-17

You know, I made a mistake… I forgot to take into account that those timings were during the day while the Linux system was under load.  There were several other users beating on the system during those renders (at least 2 of which always have firefox running with multiple tabs open).  I’ll see if I can clear up a workstation to run the tests on to give more reliable timings.

Sorry about that.
Kendall

Signature 

Posted: 24 September 2012 12:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  540
Joined  2010-09-02
PaulSW - 24 September 2012 08:15 AM

Couldn’t find a post about it already

There’s a thread at the old forums, if anyone’s interested. Click Me

Signature 

Windows:          DAZ History Manager         Daz Wishlist Manager         3D Content Downloader

Firefox Fixes for the Old Forum:      Bookmarks       Images

Fun With Bundles Thread 2

Posted: 24 September 2012 02:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4545
Joined  2007-09-13

On my system, it’s pretty much a fair test between the Linux native and embedded Studio 3Delight versions…I’ve still got a dual core, so, both of them are using the same number of cores.

I was doing some renders for an item I’m making, fairly simple scene.  In Studio it would take about 20 mins to render, stand alone about 3.  I don’t have exact times, because I was doing them last week. The funny thing, though, was that sometimes it would take nearly ten minutes to dump the rib…other times it dumped the rib quickly.  It seemed to hinge on how long it took to generate the shadowmap.  In this case, full raytracing was much faster…

The one thing I really dislike about the Octane demo…saving of the image is locked out.

These versions have the following limitations:

Render resolution output is locked to 1000x600 pixels
  Project and render output cannot be saved
  Online LiveDB material database functionality is not included

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Just because something costs a lot, doesn’t mean it’s the best…

It just means it’s expensive.

1 of 8