Digital Art Zone

Tattoo across texture seam?
Posted: 23 September 2012 06:35 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  747
Joined  2011-05-17

OK, so I have a Genesis skin loaded into photoshop and I want to create a tattoo across the upper back of the texture, but the seam splits down the center of the back. Is there some technique that I don’t know about to accurately split something like that?

Posted: 23 September 2012 07:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4545
Joined  2007-09-13

What I’ve done, in the past is to make a series of ‘registration’ marks on a new layer, with a transparent background, over the skin texture image and temporarily merge the layers (saving it under a temporary name).  Then apply that texture to the model. to see where the marks fall.  Then split the overlay image (tattoo) and align it to those marks (again, a separate layer)...repeat the merge and test again.  When satisfied, I discard the registration layer and merge the overlay, saving it under a different file name something like ‘orginal_skin_tat.jpg’  (did this for a number of Morrowind skin textures…never did release that mod pack…)

Is that the easiest way?

Probably not, but with a bit of fiddling with placement, it works.

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Just because something costs a lot, doesn’t mean it’s the best…

It just means it’s expensive.

Posted: 23 September 2012 07:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1206
Joined  2003-10-19

Investing in a projection painter will do the trick. There are lots of them out there, ranging in price from affordable to ghastly lol
A few: Bodypaint (part of cinema 4D), 3D Coat, and ZBrush. Some modellers have painters too (but it will differ between packages)

Signature 

—- Don’t knock on death’s door… ring the doorbell and run (he HATES that)

| My Store on DAZ | D4IVI4G3 Iµ© | Facebook |

Need help with something of mine? Shoot me an email: .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Posted: 23 September 2012 08:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  294
Joined  2003-10-09

If you are going across the back, you must split design in half and and mirror it.
Then you can fine tune with registering

Image Attachments
tat.jpg