Digital Art Zone

obj as terrain
Posted: 23 September 2012 05:58 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  99
Joined  2003-11-09

is there a way that i can create a terrain in hex or some other modeling program, import it into Bryce, and have Bryce recognize it as a terrain object??

TIA

:8

Signature 

Posted: 23 September 2012 06:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  271
Joined  2005-08-20

Model it. Render a height map from it in the render software of your choice. Use that height map to create a terrain in Bryce.

Signature 

*Sigh* Window->Tabs->Tool Settings->Draw Style->Manipulation: Off
Yeah. It’s like that.

Posted: 23 September 2012 07:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2003-11-09

just tried that and does not seem to work.. cannot preserve the contrast range needed to reproduce the original object…. need something a bit more direct.

thanks!

Signature 

Posted: 23 September 2012 09:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  38
Joined  0
hiker_1 - 23 September 2012 07:31 PM

just tried that and does not seem to work.. cannot preserve the contrast range needed to reproduce the original object…. need something a bit more direct.

thanks!

Its possible the height map from your other app is not creating a 16 bit image.

Posted: 24 September 2012 01:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2570
Joined  2004-07-06
hiker_1 - 23 September 2012 05:58 PM

is there a way that i can create a terrain in hex or some other modeling program, import it into Bryce, and have Bryce recognize it as a terrain object??

TIA

:8

It is possible, but difficult.  I have done this with Grome 3.  There are heightmap exporters but the trick is setting the range and getting it to output in a format that Bryce Terrain editor will accept.  You need, 16 bit precision and I use tiff.  The picture radio button in the Terrain editor will let you bring these in.  But I warn you now, it is a time consuming and fiddly process, cross calibrating the two applications.

These scenes (taken from the Bryce Mentoring DVD  ) are examples of heightmaps generated using, or filtered using, Grome 3.

Image Attachments
02-01_Desert_road_scene4_composite_image.jpg02-03_Desert_road2_scene5b.jpg03-01_Lake_scene1.jpg
 Signature 

that Bryce Tutorials Info and this Products made by Horo and myself and a link to my gallery at DAZ 3D

Posted: 24 September 2012 01:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3492
Joined  2004-10-01

You can also “paint” a height map in a graphics application where white is high and black low. It must be exported as a 16 bit greyscale (not colour!) TIFF. Back in the terrain editor of Bryce, you can use the filter, erosion and what-not tools to adapt the terrain.

Signature 

**  [ Stuff by David Brinnen and myself**  [ My DAZ 3D Gallery**  [ My Website**  OPC 4565 **

Posted: 24 September 2012 06:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2003-11-09

well.. this whole thing started because I had come across a modeling program that has a terrain generator/editor included with it—VoidWorld.

Below is a screenie of it.

And also a terrain in Bryce that was created by the program.

The problem was that exporting from VoidWorld as an obj, and then importing into Bryce, I could not apply terrain textures or height maps to it… hence my posting.

However, Horo’s comment particularily woke me up.  I had not looked at VoidWorld close enough!  It will also save the image map as a bmp file, which of course, imports directly into Bryce!

So here is also a shot of it imported into Bryce and a quick render.  I had to lower the altitude a bit when importing, but othere than that, there is no manipulation to the image.

Thanks all, for waking me up and making me think a bit!

Image Attachments
uv_terrain.jpguv_terrain_bryce.jpguv_terrain_render.jpg
 Signature