Digital Art Zone

1 of 2
Where can I find props/characters for a server room?
Posted: 22 September 2012 01:08 PM   [ Ignore ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2913
Joined  2010-11-30

I have to render a scene in a server room… but I don’t have any elements that will serve.

Okay, the tiled floor is easy enough - a plane primitive with a repeating “white square with black edge” texture is close enough. But that doesn’t help for the server racks, the servers, the tape drive arrays, the mainframes, the network-attached storage devices, the power and cooling devices…

I have a budget for this, but I also have a deadline, so I can’t wait around for somebody to make something for me. What’s out there and available for (or importable into) Daz Studio right now?

Signature 

Rob Kelk (a.k.a. “the guy with all those freebie lists”)

Poser and Daz Studio Free Resources Wiki - rather small at the moment, but with big dreams to be the one-stop list for all D|S and Poser freebies

Come take part in the Freebie Challenge!

Posted: 22 September 2012 01:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  963
Joined  2006-06-12

Here are a few items to help you out…

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/odysseon-station-computer-room
http://www.daz3d.com/shop/electronic-testgear
http://www.daz3d.com/shop/skyhammer-missile-platform                (the interior of this set would work)
http://www.daz3d.com/shop/dystopian-console-station                    free

Something or a group of things from this list should get you up and running

Signature 

There is a serious tendency toward capitalism among the well-to-do peasants.
Mao Tse-Tung

Posted: 22 September 2012 02:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1870
Joined  2006-02-17

Zincster used to have a collection of freebie computer rack models, but I don’t know if they are still available.

It is relatively easy to create server racks and 1, 2, and 4-U servers from primitives.  Also, the elevated flooring is easy to create.

Kendall

Signature 

Any opinions expressed in this post are those of Kendall Sears and may, or may not, be more, or less, valid than any other opinion.

The contents of this post are intended for the DAZ forum only, do not re-post any portion to any other forum without his permission.

Posted: 22 September 2012 03:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4545
Joined  2007-09-13

Here’s a rack….it comes in obj and other formats.

http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/server-rack-3d-model/375553

Another…

http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/server-block—-3d-model/596634

And a single unit rack mount server…

http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/3d-model-1u-rack-mount-server/628716

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Just because something costs a lot, doesn’t mean it’s the best…

It just means it’s expensive.

Posted: 22 September 2012 03:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-06-12

Here are a couple more…

http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/3ds-server-rack/359138
http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/3d-modular-center-data/633415

Signature 

Mao Tse-Tung

Posted: 22 September 2012 04:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  197
Joined  2006-09-14

$84 for that last model???  Oh let the moaning begin.

Signature 

My life and times: http://bryonlape.com/
My Deviant: http://brainmuffin.deviantart.com/gallery/
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21458942@N08/
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpSQTqyGGpYN1gsqxxQ2kcQ

Posted: 22 September 2012 05:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-13
ropeman - 22 September 2012 04:55 PM

I wouldn’t mind having one of those in my backyard (the real thing, not the model)...

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Posted: 22 September 2012 06:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-11-30
ropeman - 22 September 2012 04:55 PM

Yes, but it’s worth it… or, it would be if it wouldn’t blow the budget just on the room.

From the promo image for http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/3ds-server-rack/359138 , it looks like a switch rack, not a server rack… but I need a switch rack, too. smile

The stuff at Daz3D looks like a movie-producer’s idea of a computer room, alas. The “Electronic Testgear” at least looks realistic, but it doesn’t fit into this render. (adds to wishlist) The “Dystopian Console” might work as a security station, but modern server farms don’t have anywhere near that many consoles in them. Not even in the operators’ room.

Zincster ... Does anybody know what happened to Zincster? He had a lot of good stuff…

Signature 

Poser and Daz Studio Free Resources Wiki - rather small at the moment, but with big dreams to be the one-stop list for all D|S and Poser freebies

Posted: 22 September 2012 07:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-13

Forgot one, before…

http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/3d-server-rack-model/375539

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Posted: 22 September 2012 08:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-06-12
robkelk - 22 September 2012 06:57 PM

The “Dystopian Console” might work as a security station, but modern server farms don’t have anywhere near that many consoles in them. Not even in the operators’ room.

The Dystopian Console has a big server type thing.
It’s free, so you can dowload it and check it out. You don’t have to use the monitors.

Also, keep in mind many people don’t know exactly what a server room looks like. People tend to suspend disbelief in many situations. As long as you are entertaining them.

Best of luck!

Signature 

Mao Tse-Tung

Posted: 22 September 2012 09:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  625
Joined  2005-09-12
robkelk - 22 September 2012 01:08 PM

I have to render a scene in a server room… but I don’t have any elements that will serve.

Okay, the tiled floor is easy enough - a plane primitive with a repeating “white square with black edge” texture is close enough. But that doesn’t help for the server racks, the servers, the tape drive arrays, the mainframes, the network-attached storage devices, the power and cooling devices…

I have a budget for this, but I also have a deadline, so I can’t wait around for somebody to make something for me. What’s out there and available for (or importable into) Daz Studio right now?

There’s servers, and then there’s servers.

The setup I was sysadmin for - two IBM DS8100 Electronic Storage Subsystems - 30 inches deep, 60 inches wide, 72 inches tall. Two doors on the front and back. Weight, about 1.7 tons each. 21 and 28 Terabytes fiber-attach storage. And the only detail was the flush-mount latch on the left-hand door (front and back). The power and fiber connections all under the floor and only visible from a mouse-high point of view.

One IBM 3584 tape storage subsystem. 30 inches deep, 60 inches wide, 60 inches tall; 14 internal LTO tape drives, 400+ tape cartridges. Same description as the Disk systems, except that the ends had 14 inch wide 48 inch tall glass windows in them - that looked opaque unless you had your face against them.

4 IBM T42 rack units with assorted RS-6000 computers in them, Racks 72 inches tall, 25 inches wide, 30 inches deep, all edge to edge with blank panels on the ends - and doors front and back. Just the occasional glimmer of green LED through the grills on the doors. All network switches, fiber switches, and interconnections run under the floor or internal within the racks. Nothing to see when the doors are closed. Open the front door and you get black filler panels and black RS-6000 front panels with some LED displays.

Two Hardware Management Consoles - black PCs with LCD screens running an old version of Red-Hat Linux.

In other words - state of the art server room and absolutely nothing to see except black cabinets - and two grey cabinets which were the power distribution from the UPS (basically big boxes of circuit breakers, only visible if the doors were open. And all doors kept closed unless a system was being worked on.

And our Windows servers were just as dull - black Dell systems in black racks with front and rear doors.

Computers have been dull and boring to look at for the last 15 years.

Signature 

The only constant is change—and it’s a variable.

Posted: 22 September 2012 09:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-17
namffuak - 22 September 2012 09:04 PM
robkelk - 22 September 2012 01:08 PM

There’s servers, and then there’s servers.

The setup I was sysadmin for - two IBM DS8100 Electronic Storage Subsystems - 30 inches deep, 60 inches wide, 72 inches tall. Two doors on the front and back. Weight, about 1.7 tons each. 21 and 28 Terabytes fiber-attach storage. And the only detail was the flush-mount latch on the left-hand door (front and back). The power and fiber connections all under the floor and only visible from a mouse-high point of view.

One IBM 3584 tape storage subsystem. 30 inches deep, 60 inches wide, 60 inches tall; 14 internal LTO tape drives, 400+ tape cartridges. Same description as the Disk systems, except that the ends had 14 inch wide 48 inch tall glass windows in them - that looked opaque unless you had your face against them.

4 IBM T42 rack units with assorted RS-6000 computers in them, Racks 72 inches tall, 25 inches wide, 30 inches deep, all edge to edge with blank panels on the ends - and doors front and back. Just the occasional glimmer of green LED through the grills on the doors. All network switches, fiber switches, and interconnections run under the floor or internal within the racks. Nothing to see when the doors are closed. Open the front door and you get black filler panels and black RS-6000 front panels with some LED displays.

Two Hardware Management Consoles - black PCs with LCD screens running an old version of Red-Hat Linux.

In other words - state of the art server room and absolutely nothing to see except black cabinets - and two grey cabinets which were the power distribution from the UPS (basically big boxes of circuit breakers, only visible if the doors were open. And all doors kept closed unless a system was being worked on.

And our Windows servers were just as dull - black Dell systems in black racks with front and rear doors.

Computers have been dull and boring to look at for the last 15 years.

I have mostly Gandalf Enclosed Racks (Blue and Black) - Duplex units.  When the doors are closed one doesn’t see much.  And those doors better stay shut as the ventilation is floor to ceiling.  Open Bottom, mesh top.  Standard 72” tall, 25” deep.  My switches and patch panels are exposed and kind of messy looking, but pretty much all Panduit panels lend themselves to messy looks.  They work though. grin

Even when the doors are open, all of the servers have locked front plexyglass access protection.  Not much to see other than black rectangles, with a single power led and a couple of green drive access LED’s.  All of the cables run to the center channel.  Not much to see in the server racks at all.  There are a few Tape Backup Library units, but again, the mechanisms are all self enclosed with barrel locks on the front panels.  Except for the 80 Tape Units which are floor sitters, the rest look like 4U or 5U servers.  One can only tell they are TBUs by the Exabyte logos on the front and they are charcoal gray instead of black.

Kendall

Signature 

Any opinions expressed in this post are those of Kendall Sears and may, or may not, be more, or less, valid than any other opinion.

The contents of this post are intended for the DAZ forum only, do not re-post any portion to any other forum without his permission.

Posted: 23 September 2012 06:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  55
Joined  2003-10-09

have a look at this
http://www.daz3d.com/shop/dreadworks-iii-databanks
maybe of help

Posted: 23 September 2012 07:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-11-30
tsarist - 22 September 2012 08:35 PM

Also, keep in mind many people don’t know exactly what a server room looks like. People tend to suspend disbelief in many situations. As long as you are entertaining them.

True in general, but not in the specific - the client for this one is part of the IT department. (As it is, they’re going to wonder why the databank in the image wasn’t built by Hitachi…)

Signature 

Posted: 23 September 2012 08:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-17
robkelk - 23 September 2012 07:58 AM

True in general, but not in the specific - the client for this one is part of the IT department. (As it is, they’re going to wonder why the databank in the image wasn’t built by Hitachi…)

If they are going to want to be that specific, then a primitive cubes with “Real Photos” as the textures would be your best bet.

Kendall

Signature 

Posted: 23 September 2012 08:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-11-30
Kendall Sears - 23 September 2012 08:26 AM
robkelk - 23 September 2012 07:58 AM

If they are going to want to be that specific, then a primitive cubes with “Real Photos” as the textures would be your best bet.

Kendall

Considering the lack of decent photos on the Hitachi website, that would require taking a camera into the computer room, which they won’t let me do. (If they were allowed to take photos, they wouldn’t need a render.) <sigh>

Signature 

1 of 2