Digital Art Zone

2 of 2
[FIXED] DAZ 4.5 crashes very often - Known memory bug? 
Posted: 07 October 2012 06:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7184
Joined  2009-05-14

Ansel I don’t think it down to content at all. All my testing has brought me to the conclusion the A; Daz Studio has memery leak or B; a 32bit system with 3 GB of Ram just doesn’t cut it anymore.

Signature 

Pete

Somethings to Consider when starting to learn CG

My Gallery

My Render Thread

Proud member of the Bald Wizards Club and Co-operative

Posted: 07 October 2012 06:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  53
Joined  2012-04-12

Or, in my case, C; Win7 64 bit system with 8GB of Ram doesn’t cut it either.

Posted: 07 October 2012 07:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-14

I normally keep my opinions to myself but since starting with DS2 I have never had this much trouble with Daz Studio..ever.

Because I have little understanding of computers, all I know how is how to use them, I find it hard to troubleshoot these issues.

Signature 

Pete

My Gallery

My Render Thread

Posted: 07 October 2012 07:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2679
Joined  2007-06-22
Russ Sprouse - 07 October 2012 06:55 AM

Since I have moved up to Windows 7 64bit and 8 gigs of ram, DS 4 hasn’t crashed on me once.
Previously on a 32 bit system 4 gigs of Ram I had constant crashes and had to learn how to do images with more than 1 figure in several renders later composing them in photoshop.

Posted: 07 October 2012 08:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-14
scorpio64dragon - 07 October 2012 07:55 AM
Russ Sprouse - 07 October 2012 06:55 AM

Previously on a 32 bit system 4 gigs of Ram I had constant crashes and had to learn how to do images with more than 1 figure in several renders later composing them in photoshop.

Yeah I have had to revert back to doing that now. Oh well gives me more Photoshop/GIMP practice. See trying the get a positive out of this. smile

Signature 

Pete

My Gallery

My Render Thread

Posted: 07 October 2012 08:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2679
Joined  2007-06-22

I have learnt sooo much about postwork through necessity and I am glad to have had to, I doubt I would have bothered otherwise. There are so many tutorials on the web that it was always easy to find a way to get the effect I wanted, except for water I’m lousy at water.

Even now I still find rendering in layers preferable as I have more control, I don’t really go for the photorealistic style so I enjoy seeing what postwork can do.

I know how frustrating it is but I do think it has a positive side to it. Hopefully you will be able to upgrade soon, I didn’t have a choice my old system died, first the graphics card then one stick of memory then the harddrive and then the processorr went - all within a few weeks of each other,  worked out an expensive way to upgrade and its left me really skint.
And now that I can do those big scenes I’ve always wanted to do in the past I keep doing portraits.

Posted: 07 October 2012 11:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7355
Joined  2007-11-06
Russ Sprouse - 07 October 2012 05:48 AM

I am also having constant crashing problems since updating to the latest version.  I am hoping DAZ is aware that this is a widespread problem and it is being addressed.  Sadly I cannot access their bug reporting system so I cannot submit the MANY crash reports I have accumulated.

If there are content problems I would sure like to know which products I need to update.  It seems I have these crashes regardless of what scene I create, even very simple ones.

As soon as Paolo has Reality 3 ready for Poser I will probably abandon DAZ Studio, as I have wasted way too much time fighting its technical problems, much as I like the program otherwise.

~ Russ (a.k.a. Ansel)

What problem are you having accessing the bug tracker?

There’s clearly something unusual going on—DS4.5-64bit with 8GB RAM should not be crashing all the time.  Which version is giving you problems, and what was the last version that didn’t?  What does DS say in Help > Troubleshooting > About your Video Card?

Signature 

Product Updates: Non-Genesis/G2 DIM Zips starting July 2013
Non-Genesis Items with Metadata
Plugin Version Numbers for DS 4.5
Updated Genesis Products
Proud member of the Bald Wizards Club

Posted: 01 January 2013 03:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2009-02-11

I’m having difficulties too as of late.  I have tried contacting tech support and they have been a lot less than helpful, which is strange because usually they solve my problems. 

Anyway, I have had DS4 since it was released, and never had a sign of problems, UNTIL around mid December.  Any time I go to switch morphs with Genesis, DS crashes within a few seconds, and since that is the only reason I really use DS4 over Poser most of the time, it sucks.  I do not know what the problem is, first Tech Support said OpenGL problems, but when I told them, despite me using an Intel HD Graphics 3000 mobile GPU, I have never had a single problem, even rendering at the highest settings.  Now all of a sudden it happens constantly, I’ve tried updating the drivers, reinstalling the drivers, and reinstalling DS, the only thing I haven’t tried is using legacy drivers, and I don’t want to make some of my games unstable if that won’t fix the problem.  Hopefully I can get some assistance here.

My system specs are:

Windows 7 64-Bit
Intel HD Graphics 3000 mobile GPU
Intel core i3-2310m 2.1 GHz processor
6GB RAM

if I need to move to a new thread I will, but I was here looking for answers, so I thought this would be best.

Posted: 01 January 2013 03:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  544
Joined  2012-09-24

I have used DAZ Studio 4.5 on 3 different computers.

1) Laptop, Win XP, 32 bit, 2GB Ram, Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset - DAZ Studio frequently crashed. 3Delight renders crashed on anything but very small images.

2) Laptop, Win 7, 64 bit, 4GB Ram, Nvida NVS 3100M video - DAZ Studio ran very well on this laptop. I had no problem with crashes. I was able to render scenes with 3Delight at large sizes with no problem.

3) Desktop, Win 7, 64 bit, 16GB Ram, Nvida 640 graphics card - DAZ Studio runs very well on this desktop. Have been able to render huge scenes with 3Delight.

From my experience and other posts I have read here, I think DAZ 4.5 has problems with Intel graphics chips. The 32bit version of 3Delight may have problems too.

Signature 

DAZ Gallery

Renderosity Gallery

Deviant Art Gallery

My Art Studio Thread

Posted: 01 January 2013 03:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Joined  2009-02-11
mark - 01 January 2013 03:47 PM

I have used DAZ Studio 4.5 on 3 different computers.

1) Laptop, Win XP, 32 bit, 2GB Ram, Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset - DAZ Studio frequently crashed. 3Delight renders crashed on anything but very small images.

2) Laptop, Win 7, 64 bit, 4GB Ram, Nvida NVS 3100M video - DAZ Studio ran very well on this laptop. I had no problem with crashes. I was able to render scenes with 3Delight at large sizes with no problem.

3) Desktop, Win 7, 64 bit, 16GB Ram, Nvida 640 graphics card - DAZ Studio runs very well on this desktop. Have been able to render huge scenes with 3Delight.

From my experience and other posts I have read here, I think DAZ 4.5 has problems with Intel graphics chips. The 32bit version of 3Delight may have problems too.

That’s not entirely true about it being Intel chips, as I said in my post, I have an Intel HD, and could render decent sized scenes with no trouble, using 64bit 3Delight, on max settings, I had one with the Intel 4 before this one, and I couldn’t even run DS3, I have no clue exactly what DS’s problems are @_@ I just know they pop up out of nowhere, at least in my case.

Posted: 01 January 2013 03:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7053
Joined  2006-03-19

DAZ Studio has always had problems with the Intel chipset.

Signature 

ARTCollaborations Store on DAZ3D

Posted: 01 January 2013 03:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Joined  2009-02-11

That’s what tech support said, but WHY would it never show any problems before this?  if it were the chipset, I am pretty sure it would always act up.

Posted: 01 January 2013 04:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  12348
Joined  2003-10-09

Rendering using 3Delight does not use the video chips, except for displaying the image, so it doesn’t prove anything either way. My guess would be an update, to the drivers or to Windows, is the issue - it may be worth trying to roll back to an older driver, rather than a newer.

Signature 

DAZ Studio Frequently Asked Questions

Index of free DAZ Studio scripts and plugins list

Posted: 01 January 2013 04:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Joined  2009-02-11

that’s what tech support said, so that’s what I shall try I guess, thanks for all of the assistance.

2 of 2