Digital Art Zone

1 of 3
Can’t cast shadows
Posted: 22 September 2012 05:43 AM   [ Ignore ]
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2012-09-15

Hi, a week ago I installed DAZ Studio 4.5 and is perfect, but I have a couple of days trying to make my character cast shadows on the floor and it still fails.

I have tried many tutorials, but in a basic scene:

- Plane as ground with all displays on.

- Shaderlight at 45 º with:
.Shadow parameters: Deep Shadow Map, color = black, Intensity = 100%, Samples = 0, Softness = 0, Bias = 0.
.Light parameters: Illumination on, color = white, Intensity = 100%.
.and all Displays On.

- And Genesis With All displays On.

I may need to install a plugin? The first time I installed DAZ without Genesis, maybe I’m missing now install something else.

thank you very much

Posted: 22 September 2012 06:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7838
Joined  2009-05-14

Two things. First do you have a floor in your scene and second did you try Ray Traced Shadows?

Signature 

Pete

Somethings to Consider when starting to learn CG

My Gallery

My Render Thread and Tutorials

Proud member of the Bald Wizards Club and Co-operative

Posted: 22 September 2012 06:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2322
Joined  2011-11-16

Ok, just ‘double checked… I don’t have that particular light but this looks odd “Samples = 0, Softness = 0, Bias = 0.”

Signature 

Just because I may have a strong opinion doesn’t make it any more (or less) correct than any other, just that I feel passionately a particular way at that moment.

Posted: 22 September 2012 09:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Joined  2012-09-15

sry, in Shadow Parameters Samples I put actually 4

Szark - 22 September 2012 06:11 AM

Two things. First do you have a floor in your scene and second did you try Ray Traced Shadows?

1. When u say floor means a primitive plane? (it’s possible DAZ are creating backwards planes?)

2. Yes, as I said, I tried a lot of combinations

ty

Posted: 22 September 2012 09:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16477
Joined  2009-01-22

All lights in DS has three Shadow settings, None (the default setting), Deep Shadow Map and Ray Traced Shadows. You need to turn the Shadows on in the Parameters of the light(s) you wish to cast a shadow. Hope this helps.

EDIT: If you have other lights in the scene they could be Whiting out your shadows. Example: If lit from the side the shadow should be on that light might be killing the effect your looking for.

Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club My stuff at DeviantArt

Posted: 22 September 2012 09:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2012-09-15
Jaderail - 22 September 2012 09:16 AM

All lights in DS has three Shadow settings, None (the default setting), Deep Shadow Map and Ray Traced Shadows. You need to turn the Shadows on in the Parameters of the light(s) you wish to cast a shadow. Hope this helps.

As I said before, I put Deep Shadow Map and I tried now Ray Traced Shadows, but nothing.

Posted: 22 September 2012 09:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22

I edited my post. Also have you looked Through the Light like it was a camera? That helps line them up properly. You should have a shadow unless it is whited out or not aimed as you think.

Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.

Posted: 22 September 2012 09:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7622
Joined  2006-03-19

Do you have anything in the scene that could be blocking the light source? Something like a dome or high walls?

Signature 

ARTCollaborations Store on DAZ3D    ARTCollaborations on Facebook

*****Mad Chemistry Lab*****  

Posted: 22 September 2012 09:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2012-09-15

1. when I check the lights on Scene, only have 1 light.
2. I use a camera plus the light.
3. I only have a character and a floor plane, nothing can block the light.

ty 4 answer

I also tried make new scenes and it’s the same

Posted: 22 September 2012 09:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22

I still suggest you use the Drop down and LOOK through the light (they list under cameras) and see what it is pointing at.

Signature 

Posted: 22 September 2012 09:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2012-09-15

1. It’s a ShaderLight, it pointing at all the scene. It’s at 45º. Anyway I see my character when I’m looking througt the light.
2. I check with others lights, and plane response at the ilumination, but dont cast any shadow.

Posted: 22 September 2012 09:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22

I don’t use Shader lights, sorry. I know that the UBER area light is broken in DS4.5, maybe all shader lights are.

Signature 

Posted: 22 September 2012 09:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2012-09-15
Jaderail - 22 September 2012 09:43 AM

maybe all shader lights are. (broken)

Thats interesting… But how I can check this??? u know where I can download lights for DAZ 4.5?

I check uber lights and are really broken, but at least light begin to make something like shadows! :O

EDIT: 4 example, point lights doesn’t work to me.

Posted: 22 September 2012 10:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22

Just Uber Area light is broken the other Uber lights work. You have Point lights, Spot lights and Distant Lights built into DS just use Create to add one. As for other sets of lights the DS Store is full of light sets. Here is a link to all the Lighting and lighting related items here at DS. Make sure anything you get is for Daz Studio. It has Carrara and other sets in the list.

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/environments-props/lighting

EDIT: Point lights are for VERY CLOSE work only. Like a candle on a table ect.. they fade off very fast.

Signature 

Posted: 22 September 2012 10:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4545
Joined  2007-09-13
trollderiu - 22 September 2012 09:39 AM

1. It’s a ShaderLight, it pointing at all the scene. It’s at 45º. Anyway I see my character when I’m looking througt the light..

Which shaderlight?

Some require a ‘companion’ camera to ‘work’ properly…only basic functions of ‘light’ will work with the default camera.  Caustics is one such function…it requires a light/camera pair.

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Just because something costs a lot, doesn’t mean it’s the best…

It just means it’s expensive.

Posted: 22 September 2012 10:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Joined  2012-09-15

The lights that I used are “DS Defaults”. I soposed that come with the free DS version. (and suposed doesn’t need that light/camera pair)

ty for the link, but at the moment I prefer be a free user. I now only checking the posibilities (I’m 3D max user)

maybe only need reinstall

1 of 3