Digital Art Zone

1 of 3
Poll
What destination would you like me to plan my next HDR ProSet road trip around?
Phoenix, Arizona 0
Yosemite National Park, California 32
Sacramento, California 2
Charleston Peak, Nevada 3
Lake Havasu, Arizona 3
Salton Sea, California 5
Total Votes: 45
You must be a logged-in member to vote
Runtime IRL - HDR ProSets Competition Winners Announced
Posted: 20 September 2012 03:58 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  314
Joined  2007-12-18

I thought that it would be fun to get some closer feedback from my customers, as well as celebrate my birthday and new line of releases with a contest and a poll. 

For those who don’t know, HDR ProSets: Urban Recreation was released for DAZ Studio recently (Carrara and Poser soon).  It was my first real world HDR set for which I’d been working hard developing the skills needed.  These require a lot of planning, physically getting to the locations for pictures and such. 

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/7264/

What I figured would be interesting, is asking you guys what location sounds best.  I’ve already got another set shot from my trip to Monterey up the coast of California, so these will be after that set.  Six locations I picked out that are within 400 miles of here.  You guys get to vote on which one sounds best, the place that sounds the coolest for a new set that you want, and I’ll plan my road trip around that place before driving there.

Planning will probably take about a month so I imagine the trip would be early November, keep that in mind when picking the location since weather and season matters!  Which ever place gets picked I will be finding stops of my own along the way, places that may be of interest for these.  I’m going to let the poll run for a total of nine days, which means the next destination will be announce on my birthday the 29th of Sep!

In celebration I wanted to put together a contest of my own, for those who have my new set.  What I would like is the most realistic images you can get using these scenes!  Get your figures and props looking their best in real life environments, do your best to blur that realism factor.  The renders which I think get closest to the real thing will win some prizes!

1st Place - Heatherlee
http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/8173/P15/#110228
Pick a place of interest in route to voted destination ***
A $20 DAZ Gift Certificate
Their choice of any two DimensionTheory products

2nd Place - Barbult
http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/8173/#108072
A $10 DAZ Gift Certificate
Their choice of any one DimensionTheory product

3nd Place - Kinich
http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/8173/P15/#109878
A $5 DAZ Gift Certificate
Their choice of any one DimensionTheory product under $20

*** First place winner gets to pick a place of interest for me to visit during my road trip to the voted destination.  The place picked shouldn’t exceed 30 miles off course of my route there, I’ll likely compile a list of places or collaborate with the winner to find the final place picked.  This essentially means you can have a scene of your own picked out to be released in the next set.

Images must be at least 1080i, you’re welcome to submit portrait format around the same resolution (1440x1920).  DAZ Studio only for now, I’ll have contests for Carrara and Poser later where first place winners will pick side destinations for the same trip.  These will be my personal picks but I will probably share submissions with my fellow PAs to help critique.  Other than that have fun and just keep that realism line blurred!

barbult - 20 September 2012 05:09 PM

The contest sounds like fun. Can we enter as many images as we want, or only one? What is the deadline for entry? Do we enter by posting an image in this thread?

Edit: Can the images be postworked at all? (I’m thinking of the upcoming tutorial for grass fixing.)

As many images as you like posted here, entry deadline I was making the same as the voting deadline but if you guys think it should be longer I wouldn’t mind.  Let’s go with two weeks from now which is the 4th of October.  Post work is fine as long as it doesn’t completely take away from the image.

Posted: 20 September 2012 04:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  384
Joined  2005-08-23

Sweet, looks like you’re thinking of my birthstate (Arizona)! I can always use more deserts. wink I wish someone would do some Saharan HDRI, though… :(

Signature 

My RuntimeDNA Store
My Renderosity Gallery
My deviantArt Gallery

Posted: 20 September 2012 04:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3043
Joined  2004-04-14

The Klingon Homeworld!

thats my vote

Signature 

My DAZ3D Store
My Free Stuff
My Art @ DeviantART
Ships of the Line - MEGA THREAD
How to use the Poser Format Exporter - **Updated 2013-02-09**

Posted: 20 September 2012 05:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2713
Joined  2012-02-04

The contest sounds like fun. Can we enter as many images as we want, or only one? What is the deadline for entry? Do we enter by posting an image in this thread?

Edit: Can the images be postworked at all? (I’m thinking of the upcoming tutorial for grass fixing.)

Signature 

New member of the Bald Wizards Club

Posted: 20 September 2012 05:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2618
Joined  2007-12-07

My niece will be 16 on your birthday! smile

As for where the next HDR should be ... Yosemite.  Although anywhere you can do without ‘human’ artefacts visible would be spiffing!

Signature 

Some writings by a friend:
http://www.lizardsofthehost.co.uk/11.html
http://www.lizardsofthehost.co.uk/13.html
http://www.lizardsofthehost.co.uk/7.html

Posted: 20 September 2012 05:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-12-18
barbult - 20 September 2012 05:09 PM

As many images as you like posted here, entry deadline I was making the same as the voting deadline but if you guys think it should be longer I wouldn’t mind.  Let’s go with two weeks from now which is the 4th of October.  Post work is fine as long as it doesn’t completely take away from the image.

Posted: 20 September 2012 06:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  384
Joined  2005-08-23

Also, perhaps for a future running, have you considered Olympic National Forest in Washington? It’s really beautiful and quite out of the way.

Signature 

My RuntimeDNA Store
My Renderosity Gallery
My deviantArt Gallery

Posted: 20 September 2012 06:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3541
Joined  2009-08-05

By realism I take it you’re judging strictly on lighting and not figure choice?

Signature 

My Daz Store
My Rendo Store

Posted: 20 September 2012 07:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8472
Joined  2009-07-13

do they have grizzly bears in Yosemite?
make sure you bring a friend who runs slower than you!!!

Signature 

WARNING do not click tongue rolleye what video horrors will be seen if you do cannot be unseen.
my render thread
        never forget
A Drows Walk
Jaderail is at it again

Posted: 20 September 2012 10:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-02-04

OK, here is my first one. It is similar to one I posted in the other thread, but he has better hair.

Image Attachments
Contest_UR_BikeRamps_Motorbike.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 20 September 2012 11:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-12-18
Zaarin - 20 September 2012 06:02 PM

Also, perhaps for a future running, have you considered Olympic National Forest in Washington? It’s really beautiful and quite out of the way.

Places like this are very much on my list for later, they would just require quite a bit more time and funding to work out a trip that far from home.  I’d love to go back to Yellowstone.

Zev0 - 20 September 2012 06:37 PM

By realism I take it you’re judging strictly on lighting and not figure choice?

Yeah, I won’t judge on how well the stuff used matches the theme of these backgrounds or whatever.  Throw some aliens and things in there if that’s what you want, just make it look like it’s actually there best you can (through shaders, placement etc).  Barbult’s image is a good example, with the reflections on the bike.  Even if that was some impossible robot figure it would still fit nicely.

Posted: 21 September 2012 12:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  12572
Joined  2007-11-06

...love to see a beach set.

Signature 

...it’s five minutes to midnight…

I’d rather have a blue sky above me than a blue screen in front of me.

Posted: 21 September 2012 11:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-02-04

OK, here is another one. This is Stonemason’s City Courtyard placed in UR Baseball.
Title: View from the fire escape

Image Attachments
Contest_City_courtyard_UR_baseball.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 21 September 2012 11:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-02-04

I’m not sure what the rule of pictures being at least “1080i” means. The city courtyard picture I just submitted is 1803 by 1080. Is that large enough, or should I rerender it at a higher resolution? What are the minimum horizontal and vertical pixel sizes for landscape orientation images?

Signature 

Posted: 21 September 2012 12:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-12-18

1080i is technically an animation term because it deals with framerate but I just meant 1080 HD standard which is 1920x1080.  Don’t worry about it though, your image is close enough.

Posted: 21 September 2012 04:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-02-04

This one uses UR Courts.

Image Attachments
Contest_UR_Courts_picnic_table_phone_bike.jpg
 Signature 

1 of 3