Digital Art Zone

1 of 4
How about a competition ... Let’s have some fun ... MAKE A BULLDOG!
Posted: 20 September 2012 12:53 AM   [ Ignore ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4779
Joined  2012-04-07

A nice normal looking bulldog. [there’s already ‘nuf monster types out there].

Like this one: http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/realistic-bulldog-3d-model/534376

I don’t own Max or I would have bought that.

This is a ‘for fun’ NO money involved type competition. Can display wip in the thread ... we can all learn some tips and tricks hopefully ... and flood the world with BULLDOGS!

The English Bulldog OR the Old English Bulldogge types are the goal. Not the American edition for this time. ty

hmmm ... need a deadline eh. Well, better be before Dec 21 ... How about the end of October so we have about a month or so to play with them wink  [and make all those seasonally gift cards for Dec!]

Signature 

Posted: 20 September 2012 01:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7278
Joined  2009-07-13

it is in obj annd 3ds too btw (Hexagon does 3ds import)

Signature 

WARNING do not click tongue rolleye what video horrors will be seen if you do cannot be unseen.
my render thread
        never forget
A Drows Walk
Jaderail is at it again

Posted: 20 September 2012 06:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-04-07
wendy♥catz - 20 September 2012 01:01 AM

it is in obj annd 3ds too btw (Hexagon does 3ds import)

Thank you Wendy. I did notice that. Also experienced enough to know that not all .obj files are created equal ... as in might not load/work in/be useable with Hexagon ...

And given the lack thereof of one of the most beautiful dogs in the world ... think, “man created this thing” ... “what was man thinking” ... hay! It’s a treasure ... I think the 3d world could use like a zillion models of these available.

So, how are you starting your mesh? Sphere or Cube? Or ...?

Signature 

Posted: 20 September 2012 11:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1288
Joined  2008-01-01

By co-incidence I’ve just completed rigging this puppy - a bulldog will be fun to do - should be plenty of ref pics out there.

Image Attachments
puppysmooth.jpg

Posted: 20 September 2012 11:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-07-13

I could not even model a bulldog clip! rolleyes

Signature 

WARNING do not click tongue rolleye what video horrors will be seen if you do cannot be unseen.
my render thread
        never forget
A Drows Walk
Jaderail is at it again

Posted: 21 September 2012 12:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-04-07
Roygee - 20 September 2012 11:35 PM

By co-incidence I’ve just completed rigging this puppy - a bulldog will be fun to do - should be plenty of ref pics out there.

Awesome. Yes there are, lots of cute pictures too on the breeder websites—just everybody has to watch the copyrights with those images. Bulldog breeders tend to guard them wink And many of their customers for some reason, are judges and lawyers. [could be that price tag]

Anyhow ... having owned a couple in my time, looking forward to this.
And while I’ve tried to model one, for some reason communication between image in mind and what appears in Hexagon hasn’t been very good so far.

That’s a not-too-subtle hint that people are welcome to also post ‘how to’ tips. Acquire bonus points grin

Signature 

Posted: 21 September 2012 12:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-04-07
wendy♥catz - 20 September 2012 11:57 PM

I could not even model a bulldog clip! rolleyes

Have Hexagon? There are these ‘sculpties’ in there for a sphere and a cylinder ... easy dog bones!

Image Attachments
bone.png
 Signature 

Posted: 21 September 2012 12:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-04-07

Free pictures in the morgue file:

http://www.morguefile.com/archive/browse/#/?qury=bulldog&terms_all=bulldog

Not all of those pictures are of English Bulldogs ... there’s a clip there too lol ...

On a quick check, do not use the images in a ‘stand alone manner’

So click here for a standing bulldog http://www.morguefile.com/archive/display/743160

Click here for their oft used “there he/she goes, telling me what to do again look” http://www.morguefile.com/archive/display/204660
[bulldogs are notoriously stubborn]

And the “wide awake and alert [for food] pose”  http://www.morguefile.com/archive/display/743148

And the “bulldog clip” for Wendy wink http://www.morguefile.com/archive/display/164700

Face closeup http://www.morguefile.com/archive/display/743157

Side angle view, note corkscrew tail http://www.morguefile.com/archive/display/552270

Not all have their tails quite so curly; but all are ‘short’ and if straight are to be angled down.

Signature 

Posted: 21 September 2012 04:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-01

Very nice pics there, thanks, Patience.

Same problem I always have with animals - never any proper profile pics.  I’ll just have to compensate for perspective.

In the meantime, here’s one especially for Wendy:)

Image Attachments
clip.jpg

Posted: 21 September 2012 05:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-01

OK - I’ve made a start!

This is about the best profile pic I can find.  Firstly outlined the image so as to get the overall proportions right.  Next step is to detach the parts so I can start giving it some depth.  The main problem with only having one ref pic to work from is that, if not careful, I can end up with a square model.  I have edge loops running right across the length and down the centre of the legs to be anchor points for rounding it out and so that after I’ve given the body, legs head etc. some rounded depth, there are matching points to re-attach.

I’m already thinking animation, so already have edges where the bends will be made.

Be interesting to see what approaches others take;-)

Image Attachments
bulldog.jpg

Posted: 21 September 2012 07:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-01

Right - now I have the basic shape and no danger of getting a square model, the work begins - but the weekend beckons;-)

I don’t do realistic - this will be a cartoon character - very different to what it looks like now

Image Attachments
bulldog2.jpg

Posted: 21 September 2012 08:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-07-13

lol! looking forward to what you guys make!
there is this one! if you have the money and preferably Maya for the fur!! tongue rolleye

Signature 

my render thread
        never forget
A Drows Walk
Jaderail is at it again

Posted: 21 September 2012 09:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  285
Joined  2009-08-21

Ottimo.
I love bull-dog
Ciao

Signature 

“Il principio della scienza della pittura è il punto, il secondo è la linea, il terzo è la superficie, il quarto è il corpo che si veste di tal superficie”
Leonardo da Vinci

Posted: 21 September 2012 04:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-07-13

the less said about my Sculptris/Carrara effort uhmm red face
(slinks off to the Carrara forum, I rigged and animated the thihg too!)
http://youtu.be/5hR1f9Cv2D4

Image Attachments
Doc5006.jpg
 Signature 

my render thread
        never forget
A Drows Walk
Jaderail is at it again

Posted: 21 September 2012 08:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-04-07
Roygee - 21 September 2012 05:29 AM

OK - I’ve made a start!

This is about the best profile pic I can find.  Firstly outlined the image so as to get the overall proportions right.  Next step is to detach the parts so I can start giving it some depth.  The main problem with only having one ref pic to work from is that, if not careful, I can end up with a square model.  I have edge loops running right across the length and down the centre of the legs to be anchor points for rounding it out and so that after I’ve given the body, legs head etc. some rounded depth, there are matching points to re-attach.

I’m already thinking animation, so already have edges where the bends will be made.

Be interesting to see what approaches others take;-)

1st Point goes to Roygee! Nice start grin

Signature 

Posted: 21 September 2012 08:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-04-07
wendy♥catz - 21 September 2012 08:02 AM

lol! looking forward to what you guys make!
there is this one! if you have the money and preferably Maya for the fur!! tongue rolleye

Yes that is a nice example of what can be done - for that kind of money sure hope its snores too!

Signature 

1 of 4