Digital Art Zone

2 of 2
Another option for the Platinum Club.
Posted: 20 September 2012 08:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  663
Joined  2006-09-27

While I could see some positives and some negatives from being able to do dazzy stuff via cloud and not having to use your own computer capabilities, making it available only to the PC club would be a two edge sword.  On one side it gives (possibly) more reason to join the PC, but on the other side it would really annoy all the NON-DAZzites who only purchase the content and DAZ would possibly raise the price of the PC which would annoy even more individuals, especially for those (like me) who would probably never use it.

Sorry, just a quick post for my initial thoughts.

Posted: 20 September 2012 09:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  613
Joined  2004-12-14

Cloud?

I would rather have my *@))$ mashed flat with a hammer than go back to the mainframe (because that is all the “cloud” is).

With a cloud, you don’t own your content - you are renting it.

With a cloud, you are totally dependent on your ISP for connecting.

With a cloud, a vendor could easily change EULAs or simply delete products that I have already paid for.

This as become an issue over on the iTunes store - a movie distributor dropped iTunes - the movies that people had already bought disappeared, and Apple is getting antsy about refunding money.

This would put us at the mercy of DAZ’s webmasters - and after watching the ongoing disaster of the new store roll-out, what makes you think that they could pull off a cloud?

DAZ_Rand brought this up over on Rosity about a year ago - people went nuts just over the suggestions.

Signature 

“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored” - Aldous Huxley

Posted: 20 September 2012 10:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1232
Joined  2004-08-24
ssgbryan - 20 September 2012 09:40 AM

Cloud?

With a cloud, a vendor could easily change EULAs or simply delete products that I have already paid for.

This as become an issue over on the iTunes store - a movie distributor dropped iTunes - the movies that people had already bought disappeared, and Apple is getting antsy about refunding money.

This would put us at the mercy of DAZ’s webmasters - and after watching the ongoing disaster of the new store roll-out, what makes you think that they could pull off a cloud?

Yeah, for all these reasons, no WAY do I do anything on the cloud let alone my artwork.

If this was a new alternate club, great - those who want it could join, but I sure won’t.  And I’d hate to see it be something new and shiny that would take anything away from the PC club.  This wouldn’t be something that would make me say “great, HERE’S a reason to stay as a PC member…..

Signature 

Cheers,
Alisa

Post Count - just add 6775 to what it says here :)
Coordinator & updater for KCTC Freebies *Remembering France*

Posted: 20 September 2012 10:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  415
Joined  2008-04-09

I prefer using my own hardware for my graphics work.  I have the content available 24/7, and I control what actually gets installed or used.

And I do it all on machines that only cost $400 - $600.

That’s right, Wal-Mart cheapies with RAM and Video Card upgrades.

I’ve never bought a computer system worth more than $600, and if I’m lucky, I never will.

Posted: 20 September 2012 11:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  375
Joined  2004-08-13

You’re a few years ahead of your time.

The reason I don’t use cloud backup for all my data (just some of the most crucial) is this:

It took me 9 months to upload my data to Mozy. Shortly after that some errors on their end meant that I could not connect for more than 30 days. Unfortunately, their policy was to delete all files that were not available on my machine for 30 days. Since I couldn’t connect, that was all of them.

I have over 200 GB of Poser content. How long do you suppose it would take me to upload all that? And Daz isn’t going to charge me for perpetual storage?

Heh, if PC club included cloud storage of 200GB of my content, it wouldn’t have to render anything. It’d be worth it just to store the zips and exes.

The other thing is: I use Poser to render. Shall we completely alienate all Poser users from the PC once and for all?

Posted: 20 September 2012 04:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRank
Joined  2004-12-14
Velvet Goblin - 20 September 2012 11:34 AM

You’re a few years ahead of your time.

The reason I don’t use cloud backup for all my data (just some of the most crucial) is this:

It took me 9 months to upload my data to Mozy. Shortly after that some errors on their end meant that I could not connect for more than 30 days. Unfortunately, their policy was to delete all files that were not available on my machine for 30 days. Since I couldn’t connect, that was all of them.

I have over 200 GB of Poser content. How long do you suppose it would take me to upload all that? And Daz isn’t going to charge me for perpetual storage?

Heh, if PC club included cloud storage of 200GB of my content, it wouldn’t have to render anything. It’d be worth it just to store the zips and exes.

The other thing is: I use Poser to render. Shall we completely alienate all Poser users from the PC once and for all?

Well, WRT your DAZ products, you wouldn’t have to upload anything, they could just mark the product as being available to you - this is where the mainframe is a bad idea.  What happens if a vendor decides to go from DAZ to ‘Rosity for example?

I wouldn’t worry about being a Poser user.  DAZ, by their actions, have made it very, very clear that they don’t care whether or not we stay.

Signature 

Posted: 20 September 2012 05:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2742
Joined  2003-12-06
ssgbryan - 20 September 2012 09:40 AM

Cloud?

I would rather have my *@))$ mashed flat with a hammer than go back to the mainframe (because that is all the “cloud” is).

< points up > What he said, only I don’t think I could have said it as well.

Nope, I just plain don’t like or trust the cloud concept. It’s too reliant on everything outside my control working perfectly all the time, and can you use it properly with a connection rated at less than “ludicrous speed”? I don’t understand the rush to clouds, just like I don’t understand the rush to the latest shiny new phone generation that tries to connect everything to everything else. A bit like a cloud, now I think about it. (And yes, I don’t have or want a mobile phone.) Sorry, this is a non-starter.

Signature 

Gone to Vegas to play poker. Back when I run out of clothes.—Your Muse.

Posted: 20 September 2012 06:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRank
Joined  2004-12-14
SpottedKitty - 20 September 2012 05:17 PM

< points up > What he said, only I don’t think I could have said it as well.

Nope, I just plain don’t like or trust the cloud concept. It’s too reliant on everything outside my control working perfectly all the time, and can you use it properly with a connection rated at less than “ludicrous speed”? I don’t understand the rush to clouds, just like I don’t understand the rush to the latest shiny new phone generation that tries to connect everything to everything else. A bit like a cloud, now I think about it. (And yes, I don’t have or want a mobile phone.) Sorry, this is a non-starter.

The “rush to the cloud” is business’ looking for new markets - They are trying to get everyone to believe that they need access to anything that could possibly be on their computer available to their smart phone or tablet.  Not to mention the fact that the cloud allows software companies to move from “ownership” to “rental” as far as their software.  See the latest version of Creative Suite.

You don’t control your data on the cloud, the cloud maintainer does.  You have to trust that the business wouldn’t data-mine your data to sell to 3rd parties. 

Signature 

Posted: 20 September 2012 06:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  554
Joined  2011-04-12

I dislike “the cloud” because it is entirely too similar to an actual cloud.  That is to say, it looks impressive at first glance, but on close examination, there just isn’t much substance to it.  That, and there’s always the possibility that the cloud in question is cumulogranite.

Signature 

Not interested in the giant leap backwards that is “Genesis 2”.

Posted: 21 September 2012 03:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2742
Joined  2003-12-06
ssgbryan - 20 September 2012 06:40 PM

Not to mention the fact that the cloud allows software companies to move from “ownership” to “rental” as far as their software.  See the latest version of Creative Suite.

Hoo boy, don’t I know that… A few months back at work we finally updated from CS3 to 5, and since I’m the Studio/Prepress department (yes, that small a company) it all gets installed on my machine and all the happy shiny spam from Adobe ends up in my mailbox… somehow I don’t think we’ll be going to CS6 any time soon, even if we hadn’t missed the free update period by a few weeks. Think there’s any chance of the whole cloud thing fizzling before CS7 comes around?

< not holding breath >

Signature 

Gone to Vegas to play poker. Back when I run out of clothes.—Your Muse.

Posted: 21 September 2012 05:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  549
Joined  2007-02-16
Totte - 20 September 2012 01:52 AM

The main problem is that many users don’t have en needed bandwidth. I’m stuck with 8MBit until christmas when I finally get 100+ MBit connection, bit many are “stuck for real” with 64kbit modem or 256kbit slowbands.

I’m playing with Vue and the “render cow” but the average data send from the client to the render client over the network is over a gigabytes of data. Even if you only had to send non daz items and textures to the renderserver it would be several hundreds of megabytes per render, and it you have a too slow machine you will not have a fast enough connection for that.

*sniff*  And don’t forget dialup…. There are still people on the site stuck with dialup still due to it being the only available option in our areas still. It’s bad enough that installers have gotten to the point where they are impossible on dialup (at least mine, with a 2.5k/sec download speed and an 8hr session limit, that limits me to about 65mb or less without actual working resume support). 

I hate the whole “Cloud” and “Streaming” junk. It’s so unfair to all the people that the governments are choosing to forget and ignore when it comes to the newer technology. *cries* :(

2 of 2