Digital Art Zone

2 of 3
Trojan Terror
Posted: 19 September 2012 06:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  293
Joined  2005-08-25
RawArt - 18 September 2012 04:36 PM

People who write viruses deserve their own special place in hell.

I had to download a program to open rar files. A simple thing. I even downloaded the same program I used to have on my old computer (this comp is only a month old)....but apparently someone decided to put the virus into this legit program and place it back on the net.
So I have been offline for the last two days and now I have to reinstall everything all over again.

Such a PITA…..all because some idjit thinks its fun to write something that will damage computers.

Rawn cool mad

Avast or Nod32 and acronis trueimage will solve all your problems wink

Signature 

DAZSTUDIO FUTURE REQUESTS - CLICK ME TO JOIN
Feel free to join, sign and vote for dazstudio future improvements.
(620 users and still counting up to 1000) would like to see improvements, and you?

What features would you like to see appear in dazstudio 5?

Posted: 19 September 2012 06:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  979
Joined  2006-02-27

Recently I have found that the anti virus companies hire people to write viruses. I think one of the main companies doing so is AVM and StopZilla but that is just my opinion.

Yeah same thing happened to me last month or the month before. I was looking for a program that I use to use to convert video files. And yeah I had downloaded the same program from the same website I use to get it from.

This wiped out my entire harddrive but I always keep my content and files on a secondary drive and I always have an Ubuntu Disk to access my drive and backup what ever I missed. so it does not take me long to get back up and working again.

I use
MalwareBytes
Super Anti Spyware
Avira Antivirus ‘
RKill is an amazing program and I use it as my last resort

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/rkill/

Lesson Learned The Hard way

Don’t download a thing from any sites you don’t know.

Posted: 19 September 2012 07:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4545
Joined  2007-09-13
JohnDelaquiox - 19 September 2012 06:55 AM

Recently I have found that the anti virus companies hire people to write viruses. I think one of the main companies doing so is AVM and StopZilla but that is just my opinion.

Yeah same thing happened to me last month or the month before. I was looking for a program that I use to use to convert video files. And yeah I had downloaded the same program from the same website I use to get it from.

Stopzilla NEVER was a legit antivirus company…they have ALWAYS been considered, at best, rogue.  They are the originators of the ‘free scan, pay to clean’ scam.

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Just because something costs a lot, doesn’t mean it’s the best…

It just means it’s expensive.

Posted: 19 September 2012 07:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-02-27

Yeah I remember reading something like that back in the day

Posted: 19 September 2012 07:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  754
Joined  2011-05-17

Anyone remember that Sheep virus? Now THAT was the kind of virus people should write. Recreational, sure. Invasive? Technically. Having sheep spawn on your desktop and roam around? Worth it.

Posted: 19 September 2012 07:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-02-27

The Sheep Virus actually lead to some very interesting developments in software. Like Desktop ponies.

http://bronies.deviantart.com/journal/Desktop-Ponies-296001059

Posted: 19 September 2012 08:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-13
Paradigm67 - 19 September 2012 07:30 AM

Anyone remember that Sheep virus? Now THAT was the kind of virus people should write. Recreational, sure. Invasive? Technically. Having sheep spawn on your desktop and roam around? Worth it.

One of the more benign items…it was 90% hoax, though…

But just think, it could have been worse. It could have spawned.,,Justin Biebers all over the place.

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Posted: 19 September 2012 09:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2322
Joined  2011-11-16
fixme12 - 19 September 2012 06:01 AM

...acronis trueimage…

Anyone making their living with their computer should follow a couple simple steps.

1) keep the OS/programs on a separate drive from any Data
    This allows wiping the OS/Program drive without wiping the data and facilitates the following:

2) Always make an image of the system immediately after loading the system, updating it, loading any main programs used, and any basic customization. *Do this before using the system or going out on the internet any more then necessary to update/activate software. Acronis is relatively straightforward. I recommend making a secure zone on the hd and doing an optical image. The secure zone on the system makes it easy to recover the system, the optical image is your failsafe in case the secure zone becomes damaged or infected. This image should not include any data. Never update the image unless you first restore from the image and then update the system. This prevents infecting the image inadvertently. Use the built in MS Restore Points to do quick and dirty saves of the system state inbetween Imaging.

2b) Test all images to a blank hd if possible. It sx to find out that they don’t work or that you don’t know how to recover from them after a crash. We are not our best in bad situations so we want to be as capable of recovering without too much thinking and we want to know it will work.

3) Only store data on the data drive and back it up as often as one doesn’t want to lose stuff. For some of us that could be multiple times a day.

* The industry is blurring the line between images and backups, using the terms interchangeably. This is unfortunate as they are *not* the same, and doing so encourages bad practices and misunderstanding. Images are the system, backups are the data. Keep them separate for your own sanity.

** I say separate drives but actually the point is separate partitions, it can be on the same physical drive. Separate physical drives do offer minor advantages.

*** Don’t think fancy mirroring systems will help you. These only protect against hardware failure which is much more rare then software corruption or infection. Unless one is a production facility with multiple employees, mirroring is not the answer, imaging and backups are. Mirroring doesn’t negate images and backups, it simply adds another layer of protection for production houses that isn’t cost effective for most small shops.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————

And sorry to hear of your loss RawArt. I know this doesn’t help after the fact, but I figured since you just rebuilt your system it might come in handy.

Signature 

Just because I may have a strong opinion doesn’t make it any more (or less) correct than any other, just that I feel passionately a particular way at that moment.

Posted: 19 September 2012 09:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4547
Joined  2004-08-11

I say fight fire with fire for those dung heads.  That would teach them a lesson or two when their own systems got borked.  That whole Christian attitude of turn the other cheek does not work here.  Beat the living hell out of them and destroy them any way possible.  Sorry you went through this RAWN!

Signature 

—- Wolff On The Prowl—-

Pan Project

Posted: 19 September 2012 09:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-13
Gedd - 19 September 2012 09:25 AM

...acronis trueimage…

Anyone making their living with their computer should follow a couple simple steps.

This allows wiping the OS/Program drive without wiping the data and facilitates the following:

2) Always make an image of the system immediately after loading the system, updating it, loading any main programs used, and any basic customization. *Do this before using the system or going out on the internet any more then necessary to update/activate software. Acronis is relatively straightforward. I recommend making a secure zone on the hd and doing an optical image. The secure zone on the system makes it easy to recover the system, the optical image is your failsafe in case the secure zone becomes damaged or infected. This image should not include any data. Never update the image unless you first restore from the image and then update the system. This prevents infecting the image inadvertently. Use the built in MS Restore Points to do quick and dirty saves of the system state inbetween Imaging.

2b) Test all images to a blank hd if possible. It sx to find out that they don’t work or that you don’t know how to recover from them after a crash. We are not our best in bad situations so we want to be as capable of recovering without too much thinking and we want to know it will work.

3) Only store data on the data drive and back it up as often as one doesn’t want to lose stuff. For some of us that could be multiple times a day.

* The industry is blurring the line between images and backups, using the terms interchangeably. This is unfortunate as they are *not* the same, and doing so encourages bad practices and misunderstanding. Images are the system, backups are the data. Keep them separate for your own sanity.

** I say separate drives but actually the point is separate partitions, it can be on the same physical drive. Separate physical drives do offer minor advantages.

*** Don’t think fancy mirroring systems will help you. These only protect against hardware failure which is much more rare then software corruption or infection. Unless one is a production facility with multiple employees, mirroring is not the answer, imaging and backups are. Mirroring doesn’t negate images and backups, it simply adds another layer of protection for production houses that isn’t cost effective for most small shops.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————

And sorry to hear of your loss RawArt. I know this doesn’t help after the fact, but I figured since you just rebuilt your system it might come in handy.

To add…two backups are better than one.  Especially for critical data…ideally one should be ‘off site’.

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Posted: 19 September 2012 09:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-02-27

Totally and three is even better

Posted: 19 September 2012 10:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1710
Joined  2008-05-31
mjc1016 - 18 September 2012 06:37 PM

A good place to check out a suspect file against multiple AVs is…

http://virusscan.jotti.org/en

Another is:

http://virustotal.com

It scans the files on all the most well known antivirus engines. I always scan my program updates there before releasing them.

Signature 
Tools for the DAZ store

Posted: 19 September 2012 10:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2322
Joined  2011-11-16

Multiple backups are good and so is offsite (bank safety deposit boxes work well for this.) However, making any system more complex then what one is willing to keep up is detrimental. Find what you are willing to maintain and do that. It can be more important to be consistant then doing many levels that aren’t properly maintained. We have to be realistic with how much time and energy we are willing to devote to this. What I mentioned is what we should consider ‘necessary’ if making our living doing this.

Also, as we get in the habit of doing basics, we can add something like adding another weekly or monthly backup that we drive out to a bank safety deposit box.

I forgot, now we have the option to do internet backups as an offsite backup. There are various caveats to this, but the main one I would mention is encrypting if we have anything that we don’t want to risk being stolen. It may be overkill for many but it is worth thinking about. If we encrypt, what I recommend is to have encryption software on the computer and encrypt before uploading to the backup site as we are in control of the process this way.

Signature 

Just because I may have a strong opinion doesn’t make it any more (or less) correct than any other, just that I feel passionately a particular way at that moment.

Posted: 19 September 2012 10:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1710
Joined  2008-05-31
Gedd - 19 September 2012 09:25 AM

...acronis trueimage…

2) Always make an image of the system immediately after loading the system, updating it, loading any main programs used, and any basic customization. *Do this before using the system or going out on the internet any more then necessary to update/activate software.

I’ll second that - always do this myself.

Or use Image for DOS - it has byte-for-byte verify both on creating and restoring images, which means you can be sure the restored system is 100% identical to the system the image was made from. It’s also a very stable and reliable program - I’ve created and restored hundreds of images on several machines with it over the last 6 years and never had a single error.

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/image-for-dos.htm

Also a very good idea. For Windows I can recommend Second Copy for backup. it can even back up to a remote FTP server if you like:

http://secondcopy.com

Online backup is also a good backup add-on. Been using CrashPlan myself for 1½ years now, works great.

http://www.crashplan.com

Signature 
Tools for the DAZ store

Posted: 19 September 2012 10:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-02-27

I have two two internal drives for backups, One is the backup of the backup and the third is a network harddrive that I use for backups and for moving stuff from one computer to another

2 of 3