Digital Art Zone

1 of 2
Crashing Bryce
Posted: 18 September 2012 08:45 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  397
Joined  2006-08-24

For some reason I am having trouble rendering to disk in Bryce Pr 7 pro. It starts off like everything is fine, racing right along, but then get to 29% and crashes.  I have even tried moving the files to another computer, also a Mac, but it still crashes, in about the same place.

I am using Daz 4 on a Mac running 10.6 on and intel duocore 2 with 4 gigs of ram.

Posted: 18 September 2012 08:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1496
Joined  2011-09-25

@vandazi:  Maybe this thread, http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/7975/ will ,help.  In this thread Bryce was also crashing and it turned out another program running at the same time was the problem.

Signature 

If you constantly look backward, it’s guaranteed you’ll run into something on your forward journey.
My Gallery Page: GussNemo’s Efforts

Posted: 18 September 2012 08:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2605
Joined  2004-07-06

My recommendation is to avoid rendering to disc.  There are other ways to achieve very large render resolutions - if that is your reason - otherwise, there is no reason to use this feature.

Signature 

that Bryce Tutorials Info and this Products made by Horo and myself and a link to my gallery at DAZ 3D

Posted: 18 September 2012 08:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3554
Joined  2004-10-01

I’m not sure but I think render to disk doesn’t use all CPU cores in case there is more than one and priority set to high. There is also the disadvantage of render to disk, you can’t stop the render and resume it later on.

Signature 

**  [ Stuff by David Brinnen and myself**  [ My DAZ 3D Gallery**  [ My Website**  OPC 4565 **

Posted: 18 September 2012 09:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-08-24
Horo - 18 September 2012 08:53 AM

I’m not sure but I think render to disk doesn’t use all CPU cores in case there is more than one and priority set to high. There is also the disadvantage of render to disk, you can’t stop the render and resume it later on.

What other ways are there to get large files out of Bryce? What are the pros and cons of each? Are there tutorials on this?

Posted: 18 September 2012 09:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-07-06
vindazi - 18 September 2012 09:06 AM

What other ways are there to get large files out of Bryce? What are the pros and cons of each? Are there tutorials on this?

Yes.  They vary according to the approach taken and that would be taylored to what the reason behind wanting such a large render would be.  Yes.  Here is one such.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/4020/

Signature 

that Bryce Tutorials Info and this Products made by Horo and myself and a link to my gallery at DAZ 3D

Posted: 18 September 2012 09:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-08-24
David Brinnen - 18 September 2012 09:19 AM
vindazi - 18 September 2012 09:06 AM

Yes.  They vary according to the approach taken and that would be taylored to what the reason behind wanting such a large render would be.  Yes.  Here is one such.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/4020/

I use Bryce to tell stories and illustrate complex subjects. I need to render at +- 200 dpi at up to poster size, but mostly about 18x12, depending on aspect ratio. I was told “render to disc” was the direct path to these results and have been using it successfully for quite a while, but now it won’t work properly.

But maybe that’s a good thing, if I learn a better, faster?, way to render my images.

Posted: 18 September 2012 09:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-07-06

So this is for print reproduction?

Signature 

Posted: 18 September 2012 09:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1496
Joined  2011-09-25

@vindazi:  I just found this tutorial by David, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdZpzQ4t_HQ ,  which may be what you’re looking for.  He talks about rendering large files.

Signature 

If you constantly look backward, it’s guaranteed you’ll run into something on your forward journey.
My Gallery Page: GussNemo’s Efforts

Posted: 18 September 2012 09:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-08-24
David Brinnen - 18 September 2012 09:38 AM

So this is for print reproduction?

Yes. I hang these in galleries where I speak.

Posted: 18 September 2012 09:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-07-06

OK just checking.

Yes you can use the pan controls to move your image around while keeping the same perspective.  This means you can render very large images in sections.  This also means, by rendering directly instead of to disc, the program can take advantage of multi-core rendering - which if you have a multi-core CPU will mean faster rendering.

Signature 

Posted: 18 September 2012 09:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-08-24
David Brinnen - 18 September 2012 09:45 AM

OK just checking.

Yes you can use the pan controls to move your image around while keeping the same perspective.  This means you can render very large images in sections.  This also means, by rendering directly instead of to disc, the program can take advantage of multi-core rendering - which if you have a multi-core CPU will mean faster rendering.

I watched the tutorial on this and it seems like this is a bit short of ideal.  It seems like it will take as long to set everything up as the rendering to disk takes grin. Next there seems to be a lot of steps, i.e. complexity, which translates to opportunities to input the wrong values which translates to doing the whole thing over again and so on.

If I am willing to restrict my requirement to the 4000 px max of Bryce, is there a more straight forward way to render for print?

BTW, what is the use of render to disc if not for high res. print? Maybe I can use it for that sometime.

Posted: 18 September 2012 10:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-07-06

Rendering for printing is not different.  All you need to do is decide what pixel resolution suits your needs.  The dpi measure in render to disc is an asynchronism - if you print through something like Paint Shop Pro, you can adjust the ppi (pixels per inch) output to determine the size of your finished image.

If you want to use pan H and pan V then set up a very basic render and determine what the settings you need are to create your large render in however many parts you need to get the size you want.  These settings will remain the same for all your renders if you are rendering to a set size.  You only need to work it out once.

If you struggle, you can give me the figures and I can work it out for you - would need to know, final output size.  pixels x pixels.  That’s it.

I would avoid render to disc due to it’s instability.

Signature 

Posted: 18 September 2012 11:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-08-24
David Brinnen - 18 September 2012 10:09 AM

Rendering for printing is not different.  All you need to do is decide what pixel resolution suits your needs.  The dpi measure in render to disc is an asynchronism - if you print through something like Paint Shop Pro, you can adjust the ppi (pixels per inch) output to determine the size of your finished image.

If you want to use pan H and pan V then set up a very basic render and determine what the settings you need are to create your large render in however many parts you need to get the size you want.  These settings will remain the same for all your renders if you are rendering to a set size.  You only need to work it out once.

If you struggle, you can give me the figures and I can work it out for you - would need to know, final output size.  pixels x pixels.  That’s it.

I would avoid render to disc due to it’s instability.

Is there a step by step written tutorial on this? The video gives a good over view but left me lots of questions.

e.g,

It uses a center object to center the image. If one follows the rule of thirds, most things fall outside of the center. What then?

You instruct to insert values but I could not figure out how you determined these values so as to be able to make adjustments.

I must be missing something because my image did not resize as yours did in the video. When I rendered I got the whole image again.

I could not get how you changed the values to get the various quadrants to be selected.

Is there a tutorial that says something like, if you have a 640x480 image and want to render a 8x10 200 dpi image you would open thingy a and changes the values to x which you will get by multiplying y by z. Then you would render and stitch the quadrants back together by doing the following.

Image Attachments
Pan_H_Pan_V.png

Posted: 18 September 2012 11:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-07-06

I think you are confusing Peter’s tutorial with my video. My video is an overview of the Pan h and Pan v controls.  It was not intended to be a direct guide to producing large renders.  However, if as I said, you could provide me with the dimensions you want your final render output at then I could provide you with the steps needed to render at that size - using Pan h and Pan v.

Signature 

Posted: 18 September 2012 11:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-08-24
David Brinnen - 18 September 2012 11:32 AM

I think you are confusing Peter’s tutorial with my video. My video is an overview of the Pan h and Pan v controls.  It was not intended to be a direct guide to producing large renders.  However, if as I said, you could provide me with the dimensions you want your final render output at then I could provide you with the steps needed to render at that size - using Pan h and Pan v.

Sorry about that.

I want to do 18x12 at 200 dpi.

1 of 2