Digital Art Zone

4 of 4
How do I get more realistic texture?
Posted: 21 September 2012 06:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  927
Joined  2003-10-09
tdrd - 20 September 2012 11:36 AM

Regarding the preview mode - YES I did have it on fast render.

By clicking the second green blob it did get rid of the problem.

I went ONE stage further and temporarily changed the render to premium.I see what you mean about this slowing down the render time.
It’s gone from 34 seconds to 4 minutes 21 seconds.
I guess you’d only put it to that setting for the final render.

Here’s the latest version of the cottage with glass (which took a bit of doing) and some curtains at the window.

Oh that’s nothing, there are settings under the premium section that can increase render time to hours, even days in some cases. But that’s down the road, maybe for after you’ve built the scene in your mind’s eye and you are wanting to get the best possible render out of it.

Posted: 21 September 2012 10:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  239
Joined  2011-10-27

Okay - after much fiddling about with textures I have completed the first part of the cottage.

I actually drew a floor plan out of the interior of the cottage so that windows would be in the right place.

Changed the roof slate texture and the doors, added smaller windows and stone lintols, changed the lintol texture to stone instead of blocks.

Placed a dividing wall inside teh building so that people rotating the building directly front on would not see through the building via windows.

Improved rendering to show all window slats

So here is the (for now) final version of cottage1. There is no side window on one side as the adjoining building will connect here.

Do you think it’s good enough to put on CGhare?

If I do - do I combine everything into one object group?

Image Attachments
Cottage.jpg

Posted: 22 September 2012 10:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1490
Joined  2011-09-25

That cottage turned out quite well.  I think they would be welcomed on ShareCG.com.  You don’t have to bundle them into one object.  I forget how many you can upload, but you can upload them individually.  It’s been some time since I’ve uploaded anything, but there is a place to describe what you’ve uploaded.  And how your images may be used.

You mentioned once about adding lighting inside.  You could add inside walls to isolate each window just as a real room would be.  Then determine which room you want lit and the intensity.

Signature 

If you constantly look backward, it’s guaranteed you’ll run into something on your forward journey.
My Gallery Page: GussNemo’s Efforts

Posted: 23 September 2012 12:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3539
Joined  2004-10-01

If you want to share your model, do not forget to give each individual object that makes up the model a unique name. If you ever used a model generously offered by someone who hasn’t identified the parts, you know how tedious it is if you want to tweak it for your purposes. Groups cannot be used, unfortunately, because they belong to the scene, not the object.

Signature 

**  [ Stuff by David Brinnen and myself**  [ My DAZ 3D Gallery**  [ My Website**  OPC 4565 **

Posted: 23 September 2012 10:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  927
Joined  2003-10-09
tdrd - 21 September 2012 10:37 AM

Okay - after much fiddling about with textures I have completed the first part of the cottage.

I actually drew a floor plan out of the interior of the cottage so that windows would be in the right place.

Changed the roof slate texture and the doors, added smaller windows and stone lintols, changed the lintol texture to stone instead of blocks.

Placed a dividing wall inside teh building so that people rotating the building directly front on would not see through the building via windows.

Improved rendering to show all window slats

So here is the (for now) final version of cottage1. There is no side window on one side as the adjoining building will connect here.

Do you think it’s good enough to put on CGhare?

If I do - do I combine everything into one object group?

I like the new slate texture alot better, the old one was too much like the walls in my opinion.

Posted: 23 September 2012 01:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  68
Joined  2003-10-23

Not to put a damper on the good progress, but I see the texture on the exterior walls as being a repeating pattern. To my eye it seems the pattern image is not entirely seamless in that there is a light/dark across the image thus causing a light/dark at each seam.

Probably can be fully fixed by adjusting the source image and making it really “seamless” in both texture and luminance…without making it too flat in contrast . . .  some work in Photoshop should do it and replace the current image map.

my $0.02

Doug.S

Posted: 23 September 2012 01:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  652
Joined  2010-02-18

I would go for the house on the right..with the odd windows’ set..it looks more natural. This was a great project, and very encouraging for you to do more, I would think.

Also, the ‘seam’, as above mentioend, is sometimes seen in these old house where the mason’s have to allow for several group of layers of blocks (usually about 4 to 5 high up) to ‘settle-in’ and for the cement & mortar to dry. In the end you would get some group of layers lighter-coloured than other, because sometimes the builder wouldn’t have enough blocks, and so had to go away and get more from the local quarry, or pick them himself from a rocky/stony-type beach.

Have seen one of these old houses in which the drying-out time wasn’t adhered to, and the whole lot had collapsed. The house had obviously been built by a ‘cowboy’ - an inflamatory term for someone who really don’t know what they are doing.

Jay
PS. My Euro0.02 worth smile

Posted: 23 September 2012 02:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15933
Joined  2003-10-09
Jamahoney - 23 September 2012 01:46 PM

I would go for the house on the right..with the odd windows’ set..it looks more natural. This was a great project, and very encouraging for you to do more, I would think.

Also, the ‘seam’, as above mentioend, is sometimes seen in these old house where the mason’s have to allow for several group of layers of blocks (usually about 4 to 5 high up) to ‘settle-in’ and for the cement & mortar to dry. In the end you would get some group of layers lighter-coloured than other, because sometimes the builder wouldn’t have enough blocks, and so had to go away and get more from the local quarry, or pick them himself from a rocky/stony-type beach.

Have seen one of these old houses in which the drying-out time wasn’t adhered to, and the whole lot had collapsed. The house had obviously been built by a ‘cowboy’ - an inflamatory term for someone who really don’t know what they are doing.

Jay
PS. My Euro0.02 worth smile

I so agree with these comments.  I live in an old stone built cottage. Most of the cottages in this area it is difficult to pick out the construction as they have been “rendered” during a refurbishment doen I guess around the 1950’s, given that we have Artex ceilings,

However for some reason THe house next door to us has not been rendered on the wall that is shared with us, and his house is taller than ours and goes back further ( we are known as the little house to locals) and you can see now the rocks are in the gable end. Nowhere near as neat and tidy, or equally matched as modern construction.

Our walls are 18” thick, so we have nice deep windowsills indoors and on the outside the windows are set 6-8” into the wall.

Also we do have matching windows either side of the front door, as shown in the one style, with the front door being alomost central/

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        Autumn Bryce Rendering Challenge        September Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 23 September 2012 10:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 54 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1490
Joined  2011-09-25

For a first time project I personally think they turned out very well.  They look similar to photos and videos I’ve seen of houses of that period.  Even the mismatching brick.  Well done tdrd.

Signature 

If you constantly look backward, it’s guaranteed you’ll run into something on your forward journey.
My Gallery Page: GussNemo’s Efforts

4 of 4