Digital Art Zone

2 of 4
How do I get more realistic texture?
Posted: 18 September 2012 07:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  239
Joined  2011-10-27

Having loads of problems situating these vertical slats.
I attach a pic to illustrate my problem.
In the picture below the vertical slat to the right is too far forward and protruding from the frame.
So I moved it backwards ONLY SLIGHTLY and it has disappeared.
You can see the parameters in the picture and there is no way it is running behind the transparent box.

So please can anyone shed any light on positioning the slat.

I AM grouping the slat with the window pane and the window frame. placed on another negative box grouped with a positive wall.

I’ve fiddled and faddled with this for four hours now and there is an increasing pile of hair falling onto my desk!
I did not have much to start with!

Please help.
Thanks
Terry

Image Attachments
Image1.jpg

Posted: 19 September 2012 12:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3368
Joined  2004-10-01
tdrd - 18 September 2012 04:05 PM

When I have grouped, there is an option C to convert to boolean.
What does this do?

[C] collapses the boolean model into one single object that can be exported and used in another application. [C] stands for collapse, not convert or combine. Once collapsed, it is one single object and you cannot select the individual parts for assigning a material.

Signature 

**  [ Stuff by David Brinnen and myself**  [ My DAZ 3D Gallery**  [ My Website**  OPC 4565 **

Posted: 19 September 2012 12:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-10-01
tdrd - 18 September 2012 07:49 PM

Slightly? The Z size is 0.700 and you move by 0.346 in the Z direction. That’s half and quite a lot.

Signature 

**  [ Stuff by David Brinnen and myself**  [ My DAZ 3D Gallery**  [ My Website**  OPC 4565 **

Posted: 19 September 2012 12:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  926
Joined  2003-10-09
tdrd - 18 September 2012 07:49 PM

Having loads of problems situating these vertical slats.
I attach a pic to illustrate my problem.
In the picture below the vertical slat to the right is too far forward and protruding from the frame.
You can see the parameters in the picture and there is no way it is running behind the transparent box.

So please can anyone shed any light on positioning the slat.

I AM grouping the slat with the window pane and the window frame. placed on another negative box grouped with a positive wall.

I’ve fiddled and faddled with this for four hours now and there is an increasing pile of hair falling onto my desk!
I did not have much to start with!

Please help.
Thanks
Terry

Well I’ve only played with booleans a little so I don’t know much about them. However I do fiddle with things quite a bit and depending on the scale of things in your scene a small adjustment can have a big impact or a little impact. I noticed in your picture that you changed one of the positions from .70 to .35 that can be quite a bit for something you’re just trying to nudge into place a little better. I would have started with a change from .70 to .69 first, to see what impact a smaller move would make first and then adjust further once I have a feel for how much the small adjustment changes things.

Posted: 19 September 2012 01:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1547
Joined  2007-12-10

If you’re dragging it into place, pressing the ‘Option’ key whilst dragging will move it in smaller increments.
If you’re using the number matrix in the Attributes, first select the horizontal window slat and make a note of it’s ‘Z’ coordinates and set the vertical one the same.

Signature 

I’ve got nothing of my own to promote, no models, no tutorials, no website, nothin’, nada, nill, nowt.

Posted: 19 September 2012 01:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

Another thought occurs to me, when the scene is done and rendered out chances are better then not that people looking at it will not be able to see that these slats stick out a little too far. So you may be pulling your hair out and spending alot of time on details most people might not even notice. Better to save the hair pulling, frustration inducing fixes for things people actually will notice.

Posted: 19 September 2012 02:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-10-01

I don’t completely agree with you here, Mark. If the scene is taken out later again and rendered with different lighting and much larger, such flaws become visible. Being careful when constructing is easier than correcting afterwards.

What I would suggest to tdrd is to make the objects at least 10 times as large because it is much easier to work that way, and precision is just a bit less of an issue.

Signature 

Posted: 19 September 2012 03:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRank
Joined  2003-10-09
Horo - 19 September 2012 02:43 AM

I don’t completely agree with you here, Mark. If the scene is taken out later again and rendered with different lighting and much larger, such flaws become visible. Being careful when constructing is easier than correcting afterwards.

What I would suggest to tdrd is to make the objects at least 10 times as large because it is much easier to work that way, and precision is just a bit less of an issue.

Well I’m just going by what I remembered of the sketch he did of the scene and I’m thinking that people will be more focused on other elements of the scene like the road and the vegetation and so forth. I’m thinking the house is going to be kind of set back amidst all that and the people aren’t going to be looking at it and saying, “This picture looks bad because the glazing on the windows sticks out too far.” I could be wrong though as I’m just expressing my personal opinion but unless the windows were a focal point of the scene I doubt I’d notice the glazing on the windows much.

Posted: 19 September 2012 05:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-10-01

Righto, it’s all a question of focus. If the model is never intended for closeup view, there is no need to be overly elaborate.

Signature 

Posted: 19 September 2012 05:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15240
Joined  2003-10-09

When I am aligning elements when I am building something like this I will view the object from Top view, zoom in on the gorup and then move it using the keyboard arrow keys and Alt, which moves just a fraction at a time.

So select one of the bars, change to camera view from top, use the plus sign at bottom left of your screen to magnify the part you are workin on to the best size for you and use the up.down.side arrows to manoeuvre it. remember it is Alt+arrow key to get tiny movements

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        E Summer Bryce Rendering Challenge        July Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 19 September 2012 08:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
RankRank
Joined  2003-10-09
chohole - 19 September 2012 05:38 AM

When I am aligning elements when I am building something like this I will view the object from Top view, zoom in on the gorup and then move it using the keyboard arrow keys and Alt, which moves just a fraction at a time.

So select one of the bars, change to camera view from top, use the plus sign at bottom left of your screen to magnify the part you are workin on to the best size for you and use the up.down.side arrows to manoeuvre it. remember it is Alt+arrow key to get tiny movements

Just to elaborate on this a bit more. If you do as chohole is saying when you use the zoom in and out buttons it’ll automatically adjust the top camera’s position so the item highlighted is centered in the camera’s view. Which is a good place to be when zooming in for adjustments. Being a 3D environment when you look at things from an angle and make adjustments you can have a parallax error which in terms of adjusting things in Bryce can mean from where you’re looking things look like they’re aligned properly but in other views you see they aren’t. In wireframe mode this is even easier to have happen.

I do notice however that sometimes the zoom feature doesn’t seem to center on the selected object. I haven’t tested it to confirm it but I suspect that happens when the object is part of a larger group. In which case the camera then is centering on the group associated with the selected object. In that case rather then ungrouping and regrouping you can use the little hand beneath the +/- to center the view.

Posted: 19 September 2012 01:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-10-27

Thank you for all the feedback.

I’ve been spending 15 hours a day fiddling around so getting used to the interface a bit now.

I blew up the window object to 10x and managed to build up the window model.

I saved that as a seperate file and grouped the bits and combinrd to object.

The building has been duplicated and srunk to create cavity wall.

I wish I knew how to give rooms a different light to rid the blackness but for what I need it does not matter I suppose.

See what you think of the updated image?

Image Attachments
latest.jpg

Posted: 19 September 2012 01:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-10-01

I’d say you’re on your way. Keep going.

Signature 

Posted: 19 September 2012 01:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1547
Joined  2007-12-10

You seem to be doing very well, the cottage is looking good.

For the light; You can place a light inside the building (lights are the yellow objects on the ‘create’ shelf.
Though bear in mind that each light you add will also add to the render time as the application has to work out all the brightnesses… So probably better doing that once you have the finished cottage in your scene.

Signature 

I’ve got nothing of my own to promote, no models, no tutorials, no website, nothin’, nada, nill, nowt.

Posted: 19 September 2012 04:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-10-27

Yes it’s coming on isn’t it.
I am a tad disappointed about the vertical slats disappearing with the shadows, but I am not about to change that this time with this effort.

I wonder - is there a way to turn OFF the shadows of an object?

2 of 4