Beginners: Multitude of Questions Set 1
I am so impressed with the helpfulness in reading posts- so thanks in advance :) Here's my dilemma. I've gone through posts, watched YouTube videos, etc- and have not found an organized path to learn Daz. I hope I'm just missing something- but is there a tutorial 1, tutorial 2, etc that explains the basics from starting point zero and progresses?
I am buying things without having a clue as to how things relate to each other, so I thought I would just ask some of the multitude of questions as I know others probably are encountering the same thing. (As I said, I've spent countless hours/ days on this, so it seems logical that others with ZERO experience in 3D are going to encounter it too. There's only so many hours of trying to read the forums/going back- I have done that. )
Here goes, hope I don't totally make you laugh with hysteria with these. (Although humor is always a welcome thing.) And please remember when you are using terms, it's Greek to me- so your answer wont make sense unless you baby talk me. (Call me Pampers.)
PLEASE NUMBER YOUR ANSWER TO MATCH THE QUESTION SO I CAN KEEP THIS STRAIGHT.
1. What is a UV?
2. Is mesh and rigging the same thing, or is mesh the wired looking surface and the process is called rigging?
These ALL have to do with V4, V5, Genesis. I HAVE tried to get info on this but some forums (across the internet) and videos seem contradictory. So thought I would ask you pros
3. MORPHS: Morphs for other generations (V3, V4) work with Genesis IF you use Generation X? (I think that's where I saw UV mentioned?) http://www.daz3d.com/shop/genesis-generation-x What is the difference in V4 and a "Legacy Figure"? It makes it sound like that IS V4.
And I assume morphs for Genesis work only on Genesis, not V4.
4. CLOTHES: Clothes for other generations (particularly V4) do or do not work with Genesis? I think I read it does, but you need to do Smoothing and/ or Collision Detection "for better fit." If you CAN use V4 clothing, is that ALL V4 clothes (and does that include belts shoes necklaces, everything in the outfit?) AND do clothes for Genesis work with V4? (That is important to me because there is a figure I want that is compatible with V4 and Aiko 4, which requires the Victoria Morph 4.2++ and Aiko 4 base, that means I must buy V4 (I assume) and I really don't want to do that if V4 clothing doesnt work in Genesis)
5. What the heck are both of those, (Smoothing and Collision Detection) and where is that located in the Studio?
6. PROPS: Are props for other collections (or in general, not stated) usable in Genesis? For instance, I bought the Luxury Car 1950, that can be used in Genesis?
7. BACKGROUNDS: Are backgrounds that are not labeled for any figure, usable in Genesis, and V4? (if it says Daz Studio)
8. Is V5 and Genesis Victoria the same thing? (assume they are)(and I do already know about the morphing ability to make Victoria into a child, teen, etc, that has been well explained.) I've heard both terms but not together that makes a definite conclusion.
Here is what I have purchased as relates to my next question: (and ONLY listing the things that will help you with the questions I am asking)
Victoria 5 Pro Bundle - has the Handy For Genesis, Expressive For Genesis, Posed for V5, V Base Poses, V Standard Poses, Genesis Female Genitalia
9. MORPHS- GENESIS: SOOOO confused on what morph packages you need for Genesis, and possibly V4. Here's what I don't understand, based on what WAS included (above) with the Victoria Pro Bundle and what's built in to Genesis- do I need these?
The Genesis Evolution Morph Bundle- Two questions. A.) I thought morphing was BUILT IN to Genesis, so it's not? This works on all Genesis shapes, you don't need a morph for each one, and covers the body, face, head- so if it's not built in to Genesis then .... B) this is a must have for morphing I assume? (link to help others find/buy it) http://www.daz3d.com/shop/genesis-evolution-morph-bundle or
Head Morph Kits and Body Morph kits- don't you just drag and move items around in the Studio to change the faces, height of brows, etc?
Are these type of kits (beautifully done btw) needed or is it to save time? http://www.daz3d.com/shop/genesis-head-morph-resource-kit-1
What else is a must have for really enjoying Genesis and morphing?
10. POSES: Will poses for V4 work for Genesis?
11. I read that to be safe, when installing, keep both the Poser and Daz Studio files. If I'm correct, that means when you go to install the Poser file, when it asks if you want to uninstall the previous version (DAZ' file) you should say NO and install the Poser one so you have both?
12. What are DS lights, gel lights, different type of lights and which works best for what? TOTALLY lost :( Working mostly in Genesis if that makes a difference.
13. I do have a big complaint- this is CONFUSING to beginners. The description on many products will state "Create your own beautiful textures for your poser models" or something specific regarding POSER, then at the bottom say Daz and Poser Compatible Software (and models N/A at the bottom) For example: http://www.daz3d.com/shop/texture-tools Can these be used for Genesis/V4 or not? That really should be made clear under Compatible Models or remove the POSER MODELS reference in the paragraph.
14. Example: http://www.daz3d.com/shop/content-creator-toolkit-cct If it says Daz Studio 4.5 or 4.0, or both- I assume the 4.5 pro edition works on it?
15. Texture Atlas- probably recommended for everyone? http://www.daz3d.com/shop/texture-atlas-for-daz-studio
16. FBX Plugin to export to other software, probably good for everyone? http://www.daz3d.com/shop/fbx-plug-in-for-daz-studio
17. I've been able to grasp that Metadata helps as it puts items in the Smart Content area. What version did that start? I have so many downloads with no metadata! In particular, do V4 items usually have metadata or does it just depend on who made it with what? (not sure if developer would be the correct term)
18. What is a "compatible Mimic file?" The horse is Tumbleweed, and it says Tumbleweed DMC, what does that mean? The file is from 3D Universe. Are those easy to use in Daz? I want to keep it simple so need to know what's involved, it makes no sense to me. (But love that horse!) http://www.daz3d.com/shop/tumbleweed-the-toon-horse. And I have a question about those that have n/a for compatible softeware like this- http://www.daz3d.com/shop/toon-cow-1 Is that just a mistake?
This one says Mimic compatible so it seems to be a widespread use. http://www.daz3d.com/shop/millennium-kids-young-teens
19. Can you point me in the direction of beginners tutorials, NOT THE DOWNLOADING PART- that go in a logical order? All I am finding is mish mash.
20. Any other helpful hints on getting started? Reading up on Lightwave, Maya, love the 3dBuzz tutorials on Photoshop. I used Corel (not hard stuff, just basics) but want to learn Photoshop.