Digital Art Zone

4 of 12
DAZ Studio Pro 4.5.0.137 Beta Release Now Available
Posted: 18 September 2012 02:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  113
Joined  2008-10-17

A note about installing newer versions of DAZ 4 and experienceing error messages at the CMS phase: If you hit this and it asks to Abort, retry or Cancel, go in and STOP the currently running CMS, then Retry and it shoukd continue on its merry way.
  I am not sure if tis was reported previously, but I have hit it while upgrading the last 2 versions.

Signature 

“Live well, Love Much, Laugh Often”

Posted: 18 September 2012 02:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1137
Joined  2007-10-17
DavidGB - 18 September 2012 11:24 AM
DAZ_bfurner - 18 September 2012 11:12 AM
Takeo.Kensei - 18 September 2012 11:01 AM

One question if anyone has the answer. I didn’t update Genesis content because I didn’t see anywhere a post about changes in the package. However the version number is now 1.4. Is there anything new there?

Yes, there were some changes in the content that will need to be updated for this build. Use the new Genesis Starter Essentials content and install it.

Will the 1.4 content work in the public 4.5, if someone has to revert from the beta, or for people who don’t want to try the beta but are trying to keep up to date on all the massive number of content updates?

Works just fine. That is the beauty of the DSON format.

Posted: 18 September 2012 02:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1137
Joined  2007-10-17
reelyor - 18 September 2012 02:05 PM

A note about installing newer versions of DAZ 4 and experienceing error messages at the CMS phase: If you hit this and it asks to Abort, retry or Cancel, go in and STOP the currently running CMS, then Retry and it shoukd continue on its merry way.
  I am not sure if tis was reported previously, but I have hit it while upgrading the last 2 versions.

That is correct. Though CMS should not try to install if you have the same or newer version of CMS already installed. I’ll have to look into this one further.

Posted: 18 September 2012 02:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4671
Joined  2004-08-11

Question… About the updated content…. were there any updates to Genesis base figure and if so what are they?

Signature 

—- Wolff On The Prowl—-

Pan Project

Posted: 18 September 2012 02:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  372
Joined  2004-03-03
DAZ_Spooky - 18 September 2012 02:18 PM
reelyor - 18 September 2012 02:05 PM

That is correct. Though CMS should not try to install if you have the same or newer version of CMS already installed. I’ll have to look into this one further.

Just to note that in my reporting or errors on install, (a) CMS was not running, as I changed startup to manual and do not generally start it, and (b) I wasn;‘t presented with an Abort, retry, cancel or any choice - there was just a popup saying there had been problems, with nothing specifying what kind of problems, in the CMS installation while the rest of the DS install continued along to the finish.

Am still concerned by the crash of the uninstaller, followed by crash of the installer on each run of the DS installer and Dynamic Clothing Control installer where an uninstaller existed. It’s giving me a huge lack of confidence about my installation. Once an uninstaller goes bad, there doesn’t appear to be any way of being sure to have gotten back to a properly clean uninstalled state before a new installation.

It would be nice if DAZ could provide a separate, tested uninstall app that would leave content, preferences and settings that should survive from version to version, but scrubbed eveyrthing that should be wiped by an uninstaller that hadn’t gone bad.

Posted: 18 September 2012 04:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15203
Joined  2003-10-09

Generally, reinstalling the version that failed to installant and then uninstalling it will clean the system.

Signature 

DAZ Studio Frequently Asked Questions

Index of free DAZ Studio scripts and plugins list

Posted: 18 September 2012 04:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  372
Joined  2004-03-03
Richard Haseltine - 18 September 2012 04:27 PM

Generally, reinstalling the version that failed to installant and then uninstalling it will clean the system.

As I’ve tried to indicate, both the uninstaller created by the public 4.5 and the uninstaller created by the new 4.5.0.137 Beta crash - either a little before or right at the end of their runs, I’m not sure of the precise point but it’s as the progress bar is completing.

The 4.5.0.137 installer does run to completion (just with a popup saying there’s some unspecified error during the CMS install, although the main installer keeps on going) if there’s no uninstaller present. It crashes instead immediatley after acknowedging the crash of the uninstaller if one is present and run.

Leaving aside the CMS (which I don’t use, though it irks me that I’m being told their was an unspecified problem during its install), I have therefore got everything from the 4.5.0.137 Beta installed. My concern is if something from the previous version is left, not overwritten but through its continued presence somehow interfering. Perhaps nothing that’s possibly left could interfere. Perhaps the uninstallers actually completed deleting everything before they crashed, and only crash at the point they are supposed to hand back control to the main installer and exit. But that’s several perhapses, leaving me with low confidence in the program.

I would also like to know why the uninstallers for the DS 4.5 public and beta releases, and the Dynamic Clothing control are crashing, whereas e.g. the uninstaller for the Genesis Essential content is working perfectly fine.

Posted: 18 September 2012 05:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  564
Joined  2007-02-16
Richard Haseltine - 18 September 2012 04:27 PM

... unless the uninstaller won’t install so you can uninstall it :( All of the installers lock up trying to add the “Daz3D Store.ico” file for me. Most of the basic product files will complete the install but larger files such as the program setups (and now the Genesis content file) lock up there and I have to crash the program to complete the install, so the uninstaller won’t get added :(

Posted: 18 September 2012 06:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 54 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  391
Joined  2003-10-09

Orphanslayer69:

You mean you weren’t going for a really cool looking abstract?

I feel your pain, but I still dig the render nonetheless…

*Anyone:

I won’t be updating to this version for awhile (or might skip until next release).  I am content with current version with only the minor “active” workspace bug, and am mostly using 4.0 for production work on my workbox.

Please, will one of you who has installed this version post a screenshot of the new side-by-side content directory.  It sounds interesting, and seems like something I am going to like.  Thank you in advance if you can do this little request.

Signature 

Take care all..        “It’s easy to clean up when you got money.”        *Old Post Count:  Don’t know, don’t care…  *New Site Status:  Doesn’t matter one iota.
Ken

Posted: 18 September 2012 07:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 55 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1870
Joined  2006-02-17
DaremoK3 - 18 September 2012 06:16 PM

Orphanslayer69:

You mean you weren’t going for a really cool looking abstract?

I feel your pain, but I still dig the render nonetheless…

*Anyone:

I won’t be updating to this version for awhile (or might skip until next release).  I am content with current version with only the minor “active” workspace bug, and am mostly using 4.0 for production work on my workbox.

Please, will one of you who has installed this version post a screenshot of the new side-by-side content directory.  It sounds interesting, and seems like something I am going to like.  Thank you in advance if you can do this little request.

Side-by-side.  Here ya go.

Kendall

Image Attachments
Screenshot-53.png
 Signature 

Any opinions expressed in this post are those of Kendall Sears and may, or may not, be more, or less, valid than any other opinion.

The contents of this post are intended for the DAZ forum only, do not re-post any portion to any other forum without his permission.

Posted: 18 September 2012 07:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 56 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  550
Joined  2011-04-12

So, how obscenely large is the “Essentials” file this time?

Signature 

Not interested in the giant leap backwards that is “Genesis 2”.

Posted: 18 September 2012 08:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 57 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2564
Joined  2012-02-04
Murgatroyd - 18 September 2012 07:42 PM

So, how obscenely large is the “Essentials” file this time?

429,964 KB

Signature 

New member of the Bald Wizards Club

Posted: 18 September 2012 10:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 58 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  391
Joined  2003-10-09

Thank you Kendall, much appreciated.

Just as I imagined.  Looks like it will be useful with my work-flow, and directory set-up.

Signature 

Take care all..        “It’s easy to clean up when you got money.”        *Old Post Count:  Don’t know, don’t care…  *New Site Status:  Doesn’t matter one iota.
Ken

Posted: 19 September 2012 03:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 59 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6423
Joined  2006-02-20
DAZ_bfurner - 18 September 2012 11:12 AM
Takeo.Kensei - 18 September 2012 11:01 AM

One question if anyone has the answer. I didn’t update Genesis content because I didn’t see anywhere a post about changes in the package. However the version number is now 1.4. Is there anything new there?

Yes, there were some changes in the content that will need to be updated for this build. Use the new Genesis Starter Essentials content and install it.

Could you update the “wonderful” Online Readme to reflect that? http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/read_me/index/14812/start
(Sorry, I do dislike those online Readme’s, but we were told that online is soooo much better to reflect updated things ... )

Signature 

I like Bryce, DazStudio, Poser and Vue ... in alphabetical order. And I would probably like Carrara too, if I could find the time to become acquainted with it. Peace?
Poser and Daz Studio Free Resources Wiki: https://poserdazfreebies.orain.org

Posted: 19 September 2012 05:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 60 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15203
Joined  2003-10-09

The main issue if the uninstaller doesn’t run, as far as I know, is that you will have the user .dsf files alongside the new .duf files. I don’t think there’s any risk of outdated code being left behind, I’m not sure there won’t be any files in the \data folder that should be removed.

Signature 

DAZ Studio Frequently Asked Questions

Index of free DAZ Studio scripts and plugins list

4 of 12