A New Hope
Posted: 16 September 2012 02:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7636
Joined  2009-07-13
chohole - 16 September 2012 02:48 PM

He needs some sounds   http://www.r2d2translator.com/

already grabbed the Android wookiee app, guess that will be the next one!!

Signature 

WARNING do not click tongue rolleye what video horrors will be seen if you do cannot be unseen.
my render thread
        never forget
A Drows Walk
Jaderail is at it again

Posted: 16 September 2012 03:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16477
Joined  2009-01-22
LightofHeaven - 16 September 2012 02:50 PM

I stink at modeling i Hexz and Carrara. Wings is a lot easier, but it’s not as advanced. You just click Extrude and then click X, Y, or Z and just move the mouse instead of click and drag stuff.

Hex has a great lathe and extrude feature, you just need to learn them. Hex is really a very powerful modeler once you do a few of the Tut’s it’s not hard. Sure I only use it to tweak a morph or do simple props I send to it from Daz but I find it easy to use. With just two days of tut’s and playing I can do everything I want except UV maps. That’s going to be my next goal. Then I could make much better props.

Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club My stuff at DeviantArt

Posted: 16 September 2012 04:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1012
Joined  2007-04-08
Jaderail - 16 September 2012 03:57 PM
LightofHeaven - 16 September 2012 02:50 PM

I stink at modeling i Hexz and Carrara. Wings is a lot easier, but it’s not as advanced. You just click Extrude and then click X, Y, or Z and just move the mouse instead of click and drag stuff.

Hex has a great lathe and extrude feature, you just need to learn them. Hex is really a very powerful modeler once you do a few of the Tut’s it’s not hard. Sure I only use it to tweak a morph or do simple props I send to it from Daz but I find it easy to use. With just two days of tut’s and playing I can do everything I want except UV maps. That’s going to be my next goal. Then I could make much better props.

I’m trying to find some tuts from the lists on this forum but a lot of them go to a 404, which sucks a bit.

Signature 

You’re never too old for metaballs!  ~Michael Frank

Posted: 16 September 2012 04:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22

I found one set in those that had four or five one the same list. They were Video but very good. I’ll look after I do a render or two. It is my DAY off. cheese

Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.

Posted: 16 September 2012 04:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2322
Joined  2011-11-16

A couple really good ones to start with I find are the clothing ones… If it’s in your budget you might want to get Fugazi’s Genesis Starter Kit and Classic Bikini from the store. His workflow shows some good information about the various tools and topology issues that are very helpful even if not making clothing. The fact you learn to make clothing also is a bonus. It might go on sale again if there’s a catch-up portion to the PA sale.

Here are a couple free ones, but you have to have a decent connection:
CG Dreams, Hexagon Quickstart
The EZ Hexagon
Johnny Bevo
Tecy, Making of Future Bike

and ofc I assume you already know of Geekatplay, a great resource…

You might want to start with the first couple I listed and/or Fugazi’s as they cover some basics whereas some of the others don’t spend as much time going over the basics but rather jump right into a particular example.

Signature 

Just because I may have a strong opinion doesn’t make it any more (or less) correct than any other, just that I feel passionately a particular way at that moment.

Posted: 16 September 2012 04:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-11-16

Hexagon has extrude, lathe, polylines, coons patches.. tons of tools. As Jadrail said, it just takes getting familiar with them and using the best one for the job. The same task can be done many ways, but there are more efficient and less efficient ways to do a given task.

Signature 

Just because I may have a strong opinion doesn’t make it any more (or less) correct than any other, just that I feel passionately a particular way at that moment.

Posted: 16 September 2012 09:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22

WHOOP!! New render trick in Jades book for DS. Ideas a cooking, one render on the way. Yee Haa!!

Signature 

Posted: 16 September 2012 11:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-04-08
Gedd - 16 September 2012 04:46 PM

A couple really good ones to start with I find are the clothing ones… If it’s in your budget you might want to get Fugazi’s Genesis Starter Kit and Classic Bikini from the store. His workflow shows some good information about the various tools and topology issues that are very helpful even if not making clothing. The fact you learn to make clothing also is a bonus. It might go on sale again if there’s a catch-up portion to the PA sale.

Here are a couple free ones, but you have to have a decent connection:
CG Dreams, Hexagon Quickstart
The EZ Hexagon
Johnny Bevo
Tecy, Making of Future Bike

and ofc I assume you already know of Geekatplay, a great resource…

You might want to start with the first couple I listed and/or Fugazi’s as they cover some basics whereas some of the others don’t spend as much time going over the basics but rather jump right into a particular example.

I know about Geeksatplay, which is why I was a little confused.  After picking up the knowledge that Booleans are bad, the first thing a Geeksatplay tut tells me to do is cut a door out of a cube using Booleans.

I did some reading when I went to bed last night about polygon modeling and I think I’m on the right path now, but yeah, gonna take a while to play with Hex enough to understand everything.  Looking forward to it.

@Jeff:  A render, woot!  And a day off, even more woot!  I’m visiting a friend again today, and then when I get back I’m playing with Hex ‘til I break it!

Signature 

Posted: 17 September 2012 01:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22

You could get caught up on what I’m doing by reading this thread. Spooky,Creepy & anything Halloweenie render thread. I’ve got three sets up now.

Signature 

Posted: 17 September 2012 01:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-04-08
Jaderail - 17 September 2012 01:04 AM

You could get caught up on what I’m doing by reading this thread. Spooky,Creepy & anything Halloweenie render thread. I’ve got three sets up now.

Wow, some great renders there, both by you and others.

Signature 

Posted: 17 September 2012 01:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-07-13

I don’t think booleans are bad, that was just another case of our resident Carrara trol. . . . . uhm expert JM2000 stirring up another lengthy discussion, it is just often easier to do things other ways.
I have never tried them in Hex as Hex does not play nice with me.

Signature 

WARNING do not click tongue rolleye what video horrors will be seen if you do cannot be unseen.
my render thread
        never forget
A Drows Walk
Jaderail is at it again

Posted: 17 September 2012 02:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4762
Joined  2004-07-01
BlumBlumShub - 17 September 2012 01:31 AM

where’s my render from Maya - you are late

Posted: 17 September 2012 04:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-07-13

I have textures I have never found the clothing for,
well, I just found the textures in the shop and I do indeed own the clothing they are for!
so I reset my download for it so I could rerun the installer to find out where the hell in my runtime they are!!

Signature 

my render thread
        never forget
A Drows Walk
Jaderail is at it again

Posted: 17 September 2012 06:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-11-16
wendy♥catz - 17 September 2012 01:32 AM

I don’t think booleans are bad..

The mesh geometry they create is more often then not bad, and broken.

Signature 

Posted: 17 September 2012 08:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-04-08
bigh - 17 September 2012 02:26 AM
BlumBlumShub - 17 September 2012 01:31 AM

where’s my render from Maya - you are late

Oh crud.  Erm… Hmmm… Gimme ‘til the end of tomorrow!

Signature 

2 of 91