For now I say:
1 I’m sorry because I have not explained well
2 I had no doubt you would have found a solution
3 I also solved the problem but I have no time to stop and show the result

thank you, thank you thank you

.....devo tradurre…..

Bye

Signature 

“Il principio della scienza della pittura è il punto, il secondo è la linea, il terzo è la superficie, il quarto è il corpo che si veste di tal superficie”
Leonardo da Vinci

Posted: 17 September 2012 12:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  295
Joined  2009-08-21
Steve athome - 15 September 2012 08:20 AM
afreaginname - 14 September 2012 12:36 PM

...................... and I strongly doubt that inflating the assembled icosahedron into a sphere would result in any notable distortion of any of the polys..

Due to inflating being based on vertex direction, you do get a change in size of the Hexagons. Maybe better to take the icosahedron up to 40 faces? But even then, I think the sizes will differ enough to very noticeable.

I did quickly make the icosahedron based on the image posted, and inflated to sphere to check (no, not done in Hexagon).

Ciao Steve.
I will (but I have to finish) with the hexagon.
The super golf ball is like that.

Grazie per l’aiuto

Image Attachments
icos_01.png
 Signature 

“Il principio della scienza della pittura è il punto, il secondo è la linea, il terzo è la superficie, il quarto è il corpo che si veste di tal superficie”
Leonardo da Vinci

Posted: 17 September 2012 12:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-08-21
afreaginname - 15 September 2012 09:56 AM
Steve athome - 15 September 2012 08:20 AM

...................... and I strongly doubt that inflating the assembled icosahedron into a sphere would result in any notable distortion of any of the polys..

Due to inflating being based on vertex direction, you do get a change in size of the Hexagons

True, but by “notable” (not to be confused with “noticeable”), I simply meant I doubted it would be great enough to worry about.

Maybe better to take the icosahedron up to 40 faces?  But even then, I think the sizes will differ enough to very noticeable.
I did quickly make the icosahedron based on the image posted, and inflated to sphere to check (no, not done in Hexagon)

And a fine looking sphere it is!  smile

There may be noticeable distortion to some hexagons as you rotate the sphere, but the general aesthetics are still very pleasing.

BTW: What was the program you used to do that? It really is a good looking sphere.

With patience and about ten hours of work builds with exagagon.

Signature 

Leonardo da Vinci

Posted: 17 September 2012 12:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-08-21
afreaginname - 15 September 2012 10:08 AM
m_m_italy - 15 September 2012 07:44 AM

However, with Hexagon is not possible to model a golf ball? In the golf ball there is some imperfection .......6,6,6,6,6,6,6,6,6,6,6,6,6,6,6,6,6,6,6,6,6,5,6,6,6,6,6,6,6,6,6,5 etc. etc. etc.

Golf balls can get REALLY weird!! Check this out:

http://www.google.com/patents?id=MiwvAAAAEBAJ&printsec=abstract&zoom=4#v=onepage&q&f;=false

Have fun!  smile

Calcolato: dieci (10) ore di lavoro…...
long face

grin

Ciao e grazie for link…..molto molto interessante and utile

Signature 

Leonardo da Vinci

Posted: 17 September 2012 01:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  559
Joined  2003-10-09
pwiecek - 14 September 2012 10:55 AM

The Traveller Role playing game took the soccer ball idea and expanded on it. They recombined and subdivided the hexagons & pentagons to create many more hexagons and make the pentagons much smaller. Here is a picture of that pattern projected onto an icosahedron and unfolded

That’s fascinating as hell, but I must be getting old…

I stared at that thing for 10 minutes trying to figure out where the pentagons were before I realized that there were only 5 “sawtooth” points top and bottom, not 6 (the old “forest/trees” thngy…). So that gave me the 2 “polar” pentagons. As I was folding it in my mind, It took me a few more minutes to realize that the “hexagons” I was seeing at the unfolded apexes were an illusion - they’re each pentagons with a split side.

So curiously, even at the reduced size/increased counts of the polys, there are STILL only 12 pentagons as in the soccer ball, but many more hexagons (looks like 240?), and I strongly doubt that inflating the assembled icosahedron into a sphere would result in any notable distortion of any of the polys.

Thanks for posting that, Pwiecek! A very interesting exercize!  smile

Well, There has to be SOME distortion of the hexagons. If they were perfect they would tessellate onto a plane. As it is, I believe the centers of the 20 triangles are going to bulge out a little making the center hexes a little larger. The more hexes, the less difference in size. But the biggest difference is going to be between the hexagons and the pentagons.

Posted: 17 September 2012 01:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-08-21

W.I.P…....

Image Attachments
WIP.png
 Signature 

Leonardo da Vinci

Posted: 17 September 2012 07:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-08-21

.....50% sfera…..

Image Attachments
50_PER_CENTO.png
 Signature 

Leonardo da Vinci

Posted: 17 September 2012 03:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2004-07-16

I built this golf ball with Hexagon some time ago if anyone needs one: http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/golf-ball-3d-obj/366748

Posted: 18 September 2012 12:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-08-21
Hopper - 17 September 2012 03:10 PM

I built this golf ball with Hexagon some time ago if anyone needs one: http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/golf-ball-3d-obj/366748

Bravo.
Thank you.
But I want to finish my work.

Bye

Signature 

Leonardo da Vinci

Posted: 18 September 2012 01:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-08-21

grin
Grazie a tutti.
Ciao

Image Attachments
PALLA.png
 Signature 

Leonardo da Vinci

2 of 2