Digital Art Zone

2 of 3
Product for 4.5 only
Posted: 16 September 2012 08:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6446
Joined  2003-10-09

The Apron and Apron strings are “fit to” the Genesis figue by default. select the Apron and strings and change this to fit to the Skirt. Also the collision is 1 by default. Change this to 5.
Now we still have the shrink-wrap problem. Click the Scene tab and select the Skirt. click on the down arrow and work your way down the Skirt hierarchy until you find Pelvis. Select this and click on the Parameters tab where you should see Bend, Twist, and Side-to side slider dials. The Bend will rock the skirt forward and back, adjust it slowly forward until it no longer is in contact with the leg. Now the pleats look normal. You can use Side-to-side the same way until the skirt hangs in a more natural way. The changes can be seen in the image below.

Image Attachments
waitress2.jpg
 Signature 

My Renderosity Gallery - My DAZ Gallery - My ShareCG Freebies
We’ve all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.

Posted: 16 September 2012 09:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

This not the first time I have seen a new product with problems that are fixed by updates. This may be the case here. The instructions I gave here may seen complex but no more so than posing the genesis figure by hand instead of a prefab pose. I do like this outfit and have used it in other renders. If the intention had been to make this a 4.5 only product, it would probably be .duf files which 4.0 can’t read. Hope I’m right about that, I do like this outfit and it was only 2 bucks. Here are several parts of it in another render with a texture from the Dot Check expansion (also 2 bucks)
Hope this helps
John

Image Attachments
grandma.jpg
 Signature 

We’ve all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.

Posted: 16 September 2012 09:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  12166
Joined  2007-11-06

...this is exactly what I was afraid of, new content that will not run in older versions of Studio or in Poser because of the file format change.

The foot is there, here’s the shotgun, just pull the trigger.

Signature 

...it’s five minutes to midnight…

I’d rather have a blue sky above me than a blue screen in front of me.

Posted: 16 September 2012 09:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1870
Joined  2006-02-17

Use outdated tech, and you get left behind.  The law of the tech jungle.

The means to keep up is available, and free.

Kendall

Signature 

Any opinions expressed in this post are those of Kendall Sears and may, or may not, be more, or less, valid than any other opinion.

The contents of this post are intended for the DAZ forum only, do not re-post any portion to any other forum without his permission.

Posted: 16 September 2012 09:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  12166
Joined  2007-11-06

...not when it requires a costly investment in new hardware to support it.

Signature 

...it’s five minutes to midnight…

I’d rather have a blue sky above me than a blue screen in front of me.

Posted: 16 September 2012 10:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  280
Joined  2009-08-18
tjohn - 16 September 2012 08:49 PM

The Apron and Apron strings are “fit to” the Genesis figue by default. select the Apron and strings and change this to fit to the Skirt. Also the collision is 1 by default. Change this to 5.
Now we still have the shrink-wrap problem. Click the Scene tab and select the Skirt. click on the down arrow and work your way down the Skirt hierarchy until you find Pelvis. Select this and click on the Parameters tab where you should see Bend, Twist, and Side-to side slider dials. The Bend will rock the skirt forward and back, adjust it slowly forward until it no longer is in contact with the leg. Now the pleats look normal. You can use Side-to-side the same way until the skirt hangs in a more natural way. The changes can be seen in the image below.

@tjohn—The instructions you posted work very well. Thank you for posting them. No distortion of the skirt texture and knee nicely placed under the skirt and the apron. I am pleased to be able to use the waitress model for a project. I did have a chuckle at the matronly woman wearing a polkadot dress in the park.  Humor helps!

Signature 

See my gallery http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/users/?q=IceScribe&x=14&y=10

Posted: 16 September 2012 11:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-08-18
Kendall Sears - 16 September 2012 09:41 PM

Kendall

Many times there are workarounds for existing things regardless of how “advanced” technology gets. I remember watching a man who had taught himself how to make medieval armor fashion a piece of metal to fit something in the engine parts in his old JAG, the really old beautiful one a 1950s XK roadster. Sure, it had been replaced by XKE, J etc and more. It needed some piece that was either not available through dealers or exorbitantly priced, or not found easily in the junkyard. So he made it with his metal shop and know how. We went for a wonderful ride around bendy curves that very night.  My son worked at an electrical parts warehouse with “obsolete” parts which sell like hotcakes to big electrical outfits and tiny outposts in the middle of nowhere because not everyone can or wants to upgrade to the most new, un field tested and expensive tech. They just want to get on with life. There is no new versus old. Old tech and new tech can be useful together, as tjohn just showed. Just junking everything and running only new stuff can be horribly expensive and is not really a broadly applicable answer in a world of tools. It takes some skill and creativity to use what we have -the craft in art.

But the real issue here is that the product description was lacking in the important fact of what version it really was intended for. All the finest latest greatest technology will not run without knowing what parts to use that are compatible or that can be made to work. Out of the box cake mix doesn’t make a cake if all one knows how to use is an electric mixer and not a spoon. Heh, I knew a girl like that. She came to my apartment and asked how to “beat” the batter. Versatility is a better adaptation in any environment.

Signature 

Posted: 16 September 2012 11:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1870
Joined  2006-02-17
IceScribe - 16 September 2012 11:03 PM

Kendall

Many times there are workarounds for existing things regardless of how “advanced” technology gets. I remember watching a man who had taught himself how to make medieval armor fashion a piece of metal to fit something in the engine parts in his old JAG, the really old beautiful one a 1950s XK roadster. Sure, it had been replaced by XKE, J etc and more. It needed some piece that was either not available through dealers or exorbitantly priced, or not found easily in the junkyard. So he made it with his metal shop and know how. We went for a wonderful ride around bendy curves that very night.  My son worked at an electrical parts warehouse with “obsolete” parts which sell like hotcakes to big electrical outfits and tiny outposts in the middle of nowhere because not everyone can or wants to upgrade to the most new, un field tested and expensive tech. They just want to get on with life. There is no new versus old. Old tech and new tech can be useful together, as tjohn just showed. Just junking everything and running only new stuff can be horribly expensive and is not really a broadly applicable answer in a world of tools. It takes some skill and creativity to use what we have -the craft in art.

But the real issue here is that the product description was lacking in the important fact of what version it really was intended for. All the finest latest greatest technology will not run without knowing what parts to use that are compatible or that can be made to work. Out of the box cake mix doesn’t make a cake if all one knows how to use is an electric mixer and not a spoon. Heh, I knew a girl like that. She came to my apartment and asked how to “beat” the batter. Versatility is a better adaptation in any environment.

Ummm, this holds (somewhat) for hardware, not at all for software.  One can virtualize to “get around an issue” but software is highly dependent on the environment it is written for.  It is possible to virtualize Windows7 running on an i7 using a VIC-20 if the user is willing to wait the required amount of time necessary for the simulation to get to the job.  I doubt anyone would want to wait.

Kendall

Signature 

Any opinions expressed in this post are those of Kendall Sears and may, or may not, be more, or less, valid than any other opinion.

The contents of this post are intended for the DAZ forum only, do not re-post any portion to any other forum without his permission.

Posted: 17 September 2012 12:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-08-18
Kendall Sears - 16 September 2012 11:10 PM
IceScribe - 16 September 2012 11:03 PM

Kendall

Ummm, this holds (somewhat) for hardware, not at all for software.  One can virtualize to “get around an issue” but software is highly dependent on the environment it is written for.  It is possible to virtualize Windows7 running on an i7 using a VIC-20 if the user is willing to wait the required amount of time necessary for the simulation to get to the job.  I doubt anyone would want to wait.

Kendall

@kendall   I think we actually agree, which is how I’d like to leave it. I was not responding just to your post, but to help others who might be reading this looking for help with the Waitress, and like me, tend to feel frustrated with a seemingly simple computer task which turns out to be a typo, an omission, or oversight by the product description.
Honestly, I don’t quite understand what you said, ” virtualize Windows7 running on an i7 using a VIC-20”, but I’ll bet if what was supposed to be a i7 was accidentally typed i4 and the VIC-20 was actually a “WIC-26 although not labeled as such and a person bought it, they might be a tad annoyed when it didn’t work as advertised, no matter how slow the “correct” things were supposed to be. It’s the same thing in programming, which I learned at my very first BASIC program lesson. The instructions had a comma, and no matter how hard I tried, I could not get the program to run “Hello World”. My hubby, a computer nerd and guru, reached over my shoulder and said, oh that’s not a comma, it’s a dot. I pointed out the lesson, and he said, “well, that’s wrong.”  Learned a lot from that lesson. I hope others will find a little relief for this small but irritating problem of the Waitress. For those who want the latest and greatest, great, wade in ahead of us and see if there are any alligators! (I just bought Alessandro’s crocodilia and will now go and test it out).

Signature 

Posted: 17 September 2012 06:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

Hi again! Let me just add my $0.02 to this conversation.
One important word:
compatibility
Clothing items can be made that work equally well in 4.0 and 4.5. And I don’t mean two separate versions either. If the Genesis clothing made for 4.0 is not working in 4.5, please tell me, because I haven’t read anything like that yet.
The artists who make the clothing just need to test out their products in both versions. A little more work, yes, but a lot more sales! And this is business and the bottom line is money.
Many of us are not going to jump on the “band wagon” just because “everyone is doing it”. There are legitimate reasons for not changing yet, many of which have been listed in this thread, But to change to 4.5 now, just to not get “left behind”?
4.5 “complete” is buggy. Very buggy - just read through a few threads in these Forums to see how many problems folks are having.

Those of us waiting to change are not afraid of new technology. If we were we would still be wiping clay on cave walls with a stick to create art.

I for one am not convinced that the benefits of changing outweigh the drawbacks yet. When I am, I will be first in line to get mine. smile

Signature 

Posted: 17 September 2012 06:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1722
Joined  2008-11-10
tjohn - 17 September 2012 06:14 AM

One important word:
compatibility
Clothing items can be made that work equally well in 4.0 and 4.5. And I don’t mean two separate versions either. If the Genesis clothing made for 4.0 is not working in 4.5, please tell me, because I haven’t read anything like that yet.
The artists who make the clothing just need to test out their products in both versions. A little more work, yes, but a lot more sales! And this is business and the bottom line is money.

Actually it’s being recommended that the products be moved into the official version of DS… which is 4.5. There’s been comments by vendors that things that they struggled to do in 4.0 was much easier in 4.5. So backwards compatibility is important so things that you bought should work going forward, however new items really should be created to the new DSON format so it’s compatible moving forward.

Many of us are not going to jump on the “band wagon” just because “everyone is doing it”. There are legitimate reasons for not changing yet, many of which have been listed in this thread, But to change to 4.5 now, just to not get “left behind”?
4.5 “complete” is buggy. Very buggy - just read through a few threads in these Forums to see how many problems folks are having.

A lot more people are not having issues. I’m running it right now a virtual machine and the interface moves a lot quicker than full speed on my main PC and i have a higher performing video card on it. Now that the major plugins have been updated to 4.5, people should be looking at moving to the new version, as the tools for creating Genesis content have been much improved hence why you’ve been seeing more clothing created in 4.5.

Posted: 17 September 2012 07:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3378
Joined  2007-06-22

The biggest problem with 4.5, at least for me, is the fact that quite a bit doesn’t work in it, some shaders and Area lights for example.
I would like to upgrade from 4 but don’t see the point of the advantages if things like the Area lights have been broken, this alone says to me that there are bugs in this version - even if only some people are finding them and reporting them.

Posted: 17 September 2012 11:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09
Male-M3dia - 17 September 2012 06:41 AM
tjohn - 17 September 2012 06:14 AM

One important word:
compatibility

Actually it’s being recommended that the products be moved into the official version of DS… which is 4.5. There’s been comments by vendors that things that they struggled to do in 4.0 was much easier in 4.5. So backwards compatibility is important so things that you bought should work going forward, however new items really should be created to the new DSON format so it’s compatible moving forward.

A lot more people are not having issues. I’m running it right now a virtual machine and the interface moves a lot quicker than full speed on my main PC and i have a higher performing video card on it. Now that the major plugins have been updated to 4.5, people should be looking at moving to the new version, as the tools for creating Genesis content have been much improved hence why you’ve been seeing more clothing created in 4.5.

I respect your opinion very much - as a creator of product yourself you know better than I about all of the factors involved. However, one statement you made stands out for me:
“Actually it’s being recommended that the products be moved into the official version of DS… which is 4.5.”
Which leads me to ask, “Recommended by whom?” and, “Recommended why?”
This sounds a bit like “someone” is hinting that content creators should move to using .duf file formats if they want to keep selling product. Please (and I’m sincere in this as I love Daz3D) tell me that I’m wrong about this, as I find that idea disturbing.
Thank you for your time.

Signature 

Posted: 17 September 2012 07:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  234
Joined  2003-10-09
tjohn - 17 September 2012 11:49 AM

I respect your opinion very much - as a creator of product yourself you know better than I about all of the factors involved. However, one statement you made stands out for me:
“Actually it’s being recommended that the products be moved into the official version of DS… which is 4.5.”
This sounds a bit like “someone” is hinting that content creators should move to using .duf file formats if they want to keep selling product. Please (and I’m sincere in this as I love Daz3D) tell me that I’m wrong about this, as I find that idea disturbing.
Thank you for your time.

Sometimes a recommendation is just a recommendation.

Coldrake

Signature 

I don’t dance, I boogie.
———————————————————

If I have to choose between speed and quality, I’ll take quality every time.
———————————————————

It’s not what tools you use,
It’s how you use your tools.

Posted: 17 September 2012 08:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1722
Joined  2008-11-10
tjohn - 17 September 2012 11:49 AM

Thank you for your time.

What’s disturbing about what I said? The tools have been improved for content creators, whether for sale or free. And the content is saved to be compatible with the complete SDK for Genesis…. 4.0 isn’t the complete SDK, so creating something that isn’t completely compatible with future versions doesn’t make much sense.

2 of 3