Digital Art Zone

1 of 3
Product for 4.5 only
Posted: 13 September 2012 02:39 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  224
Joined  2011-10-02

I put the new Diner Waitress in my cart, and then decided short order cook should go in too, but it says it requires 4.5 (don’t remember seeing that before).  I went to the “readme” website and the waitress has duf files whereas the short order cook only has dsf files.  I’m confused. I would have expected it to be the other way around.

Posted: 13 September 2012 02:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1336
Joined  2006-03-14

.duf has replaced .dsf for user facing files in 4.5.

Signature 

My Tutorials and Freebies Index

Posted: 13 September 2012 03:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1172
Joined  2009-01-09
adamr001 - 13 September 2012 02:47 PM

.duf has replaced .dsf for user facing files in 4.5.

True, but I believe what Penname is saying—and what I’ve just checked to see—is that the Readmes for both products are incorrect.

Diner Waitress is a 4.5-only compatible product, and does not say so, while Short Order Cook can be used with 4.0, but says it’s only 4.5-compatible. I’ve used Short Order Cook in 4.0 myself, so I can confirm that you can do so.

And just to make things really confusing, Dot Check, the texture set for Diner Waitress, can be used in 4.0. On what, I have no idea, but all of its user-facing files are DSA and DSB, so 4.0 should be able to see and use them.

A major issue, and one that’s likely to persist for a while, is that during the transitional period to 4.5, there will be items produced that are exclusive to 4.5, but don’t say so. I will admit, seeing a product mislabeled the other way around is a bit of a surprise. That said, I would expect that with the next update for the product, Short Order Cook’s files will be upgraded to DUF, and probably with Dot Check as well. That’s what happened with Breezy for the Summer Dress—and the readme for Breezy still doesn’t say that it’s a 4.5-only product.

Signature 

VWrangler at deviantArt (NSFW for some images; login required to view those)

Posted: 13 September 2012 04:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-10-02

That is what I was pointing out - that they are both mislabeled.  Just a heads up for anyone hanging off on 4.5 that they should check the readme files before purchase.  And DAZ needs to watch the labels, esp. for the new products.

Posted: 14 September 2012 11:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  236
Joined  2010-01-27

I just figured .duf was a comment on my work cheese

Signature 

—————————-
“By all means marry; if you get a good wife, you’ll be happy. If you get a bad one, you’ll become a philosopher.”—Socrates
http://www.improbable.me
Using DS 4.5.0.114 Pro 32 bit poorly.

(Formerly Halfbubble)

Posted: 14 September 2012 01:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3166
Joined  2007-06-22

‘‘Diner Waitress is a 4.5-only compatible product, and does not say so, while Short Order Cook can be used with 4.0, but says it’s only 4.5-compatible. I’ve used Short Order Cook in 4.0 myself, so I can confirm that you can do so.’‘

I’m using the Diner Waitress in DS 4.0.

Posted: 14 September 2012 03:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1172
Joined  2009-01-09
scorpio64dragon - 14 September 2012 01:56 PM

‘‘Diner Waitress is a 4.5-only compatible product, and does not say so, while Short Order Cook can be used with 4.0, but says it’s only 4.5-compatible. I’ve used Short Order Cook in 4.0 myself, so I can confirm that you can do so.’‘

I’m using the Diner Waitress in DS 4.0.

Yes, it turns out it can be used in 4.0, My mistake there.

However, the file list attached to the Diner Waitress Readme says that all the clickable files should be DUF and not DSF, so something is messed up somewhere.

Signature 

VWrangler at deviantArt (NSFW for some images; login required to view those)

Posted: 14 September 2012 03:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  549
Joined  2009-02-04

This is why im still scared of making products in 4.5… Think Ill wait for the dust to settle abit

Signature 

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/dogz

Posted: 14 September 2012 05:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-10-02

Well, ok, I bought the 50’s Diner Waitress and it works in 4.0, even though the readme suggests otherwise.  So I’m happy to be able to have it!  Next up (so to speak), short order cook.

Posted: 14 September 2012 05:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  236
Joined  2010-01-27

Um, why don’t you move to 4.5? Solved a couple problems I was having in 4.0.

Signature 

—————————-
“By all means marry; if you get a good wife, you’ll be happy. If you get a bad one, you’ll become a philosopher.”—Socrates
http://www.improbable.me
Using DS 4.5.0.114 Pro 32 bit poorly.

(Formerly Halfbubble)

Posted: 14 September 2012 06:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-10-02

I have a lot of product I didn’t get from daz, particularly shaders, and my understanding is that they may not work properly in 4.5, and some plug-ins appear to be pending upgrades.  I haven’t had any problems with 4.0 at all so I can certainly wait until most issues are ironed out. 
S

Posted: 14 September 2012 07:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6148
Joined  2003-10-09
Torby - 14 September 2012 05:41 PM

Can only answer for myself but:
1. I’m not experiencing any problems with the final 4.0 release.
2. Many people are experiencing everything from installation to compatibility problems with 4.5. I don’t want to be one of those people.
3. It’s 4.5, not 5.0. Many changes followed by many bug fixes will occur between them until there is a completely stable release. When that is available, I will gladly upgrade even if I have to pay for it.
4. Much of the content that I own would have to be re-downloaded, for the versions that are compatible with 4.5. I would have to delete a sizable Runtime, just to replace it with updates. I have a limited amount of broadband available each month, and a limited lifespan and would rather spend it. creating.
5. When 5.0 becomes available, I suspect much of the same product would cause point #4 above all over again. But I would rather only do the downloading and updating once.

Other than that, I can’t think of a thing. I mean the above, but my attitude is entirely tongue-in-cheek and I mean no disrespect to you, Torby.
I am sincerely happy you aren;t experiencing any problems with the change and hope things continue to work well for you and everyone else.

Basically I’m too lazy and chickens$%# to try it out, too. red face smile

Signature 

My Renderosity Gallery - My DAZ Gallery - My ShareCG Freebies
“I hope that after I die, people will say of me: ‘That guy sure owed me a lot of money.’” - Jack Handey

Posted: 15 September 2012 03:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3166
Joined  2007-06-22
Torby - 14 September 2012 05:41 PM

Arealights are broken in 4.5, thats my reason.

Posted: 16 September 2012 02:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  280
Joined  2009-08-18

Thank you! Glad to finally find this out:  “Diner Waitress for Genesis” is 4.5 compatible not fully compatible with 4.0. My time was wasted on this product.

The product description which I just checked again as of this post still does not specify this difference. 
Also, the product description lists 11 morphs “Plus movement and adjustment morphs” but these do not appear in any of the loading panels.

What did load was several icons, some marked “new” even though I had uninstalled a couple of times and close and rebooted. It was not fun clicking on each icon trying to load. There are tiny letters, like A I guess for Aiko, and H probably for Hiro. The ones marked with the Power loader icon don’t work. I honestly don’t know which one worked after several tries, excepting the shoes. They only had one loading pane and it wouldn’t budge. The morphs sure would have helped with poke-through. Those must have been the file error message.

I spent way too much time on this redownloading, un/installing etc. Yes, the garment figures will load in 4.0 but there is only one way to fix poking through listed in the adjustment/shaping side, it is something called mesh collision/smoothing. It makes the texture badly distorted.
I got the apron on top of the skirt, but the bulge of the skirt over the knee showed in the texture as a bad distortion. Using the “invisible” eye option did not work. Thighs are longer in Genesis than V4.After all of that, the exported obj had the poke-through!!! Evne though I used the “invisble” eye in the rendering program, the thigh was too long and took away part of the shin. What a waste. Yes, a strategically placed table helped. But that is not a good product.

For the same reasons as tjohn listed above, I am not going with 4.5 yet. I’m finally willing to work with 4.0 because I finally broke down and bought the V3/M3 converter program and am pleased with that so far.Why? Because I invested in content, and because I don’t like the pudgy basic Genesis face.  I’m considering the V4/M4 converter because I do like the faces in that version also, and a lot more content with $$$$ spent on it. But I wonder if there is any point to it with the new file structure for 4.5 since the file format is changed. After all, if I can’t buy Genesis clothes for Genesis to fit in version 4.+ without buying still new other converters just for its own product—not to mention the older stuff,  what is the point? It’s all very irritating. Of course, the simplest thing in any case would be accurate advertising.

Signature 

See my gallery http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/users/?q=IceScribe&x=14&y=10

Posted: 16 September 2012 03:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1113
Joined  2010-11-30

If you do a good bit of cartoon rendering stick with 4.0.  Most of the toon shaders I have don’t work right in 4.5 and the default cartoon render setting doesn’t do toon renders sometimes I’ve noticed.

I usually use toon shaders in combination with the default toon render settings and many thing don’t render right with 4.5.

Posted: 16 September 2012 08:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6148
Joined  2003-10-09
IceScribe - 16 September 2012 02:39 PM

Thank you! Glad to finally find this out:  “Diner Waitress for Genesis” is 4.5 compatible not fully compatible with 4.0. My time was wasted on this product.

The product description which I just checked again as of this post still does not specify this difference. 
Also, the product description lists 11 morphs “Plus movement and adjustment morphs” but these do not appear in any of the loading panels.

What did load was several icons, some marked “new” even though I had uninstalled a couple of times and close and rebooted. It was not fun clicking on each icon trying to load. There are tiny letters, like A I guess for Aiko, and H probably for Hiro. The ones marked with the Power loader icon don’t work. I honestly don’t know which one worked after several tries, excepting the shoes. They only had one loading pane and it wouldn’t budge. The morphs sure would have helped with poke-through. Those must have been the file error message.

I spent way too much time on this redownloading, un/installing etc. Yes, the garment figures will load in 4.0 but there is only one way to fix poking through listed in the adjustment/shaping side, it is something called mesh collision/smoothing. It makes the texture badly distorted.
I got the apron on top of the skirt, but the bulge of the skirt over the knee showed in the texture as a bad distortion. Using the “invisible” eye option did not work. Thighs are longer in Genesis than V4.After all of that, the exported obj had the poke-through!!! Evne though I used the “invisble” eye in the rendering program, the thigh was too long and took away part of the shin. What a waste. Yes, a strategically placed table helped. But that is not a good product.

For the same reasons as tjohn listed above, I am not going with 4.5 yet. I’m finally willing to work with 4.0 because I finally broke down and bought the V3/M3 converter program and am pleased with that so far.Why? Because I invested in content, and because I don’t like the pudgy basic Genesis face.  I’m considering the V4/M4 converter because I do like the faces in that version also, and a lot more content with $$$$ spent on it. But I wonder if there is any point to it with the new file structure for 4.5 since the file format is changed. After all, if I can’t buy Genesis clothes for Genesis to fit in version 4.+ without buying still new other converters just for its own product—not to mention the older stuff,  what is the point? It’s all very irritating. Of course, the simplest thing in any case would be accurate advertising.

I also own this product and you’re right, there are a lot of weird unclear load images in Smart Content, and the morphs are broken in 4.0. However I have discovered some helpful hints, Use the Content Library to find and load the clothing parts one by one. This first image is the product loaded as is with the take order pose applied. The Skirt is poking through the Apron, and is shrink-wrapped to the right leg where it touches.

Image Attachments
waitress1.jpg
 Signature 

My Renderosity Gallery - My DAZ Gallery - My ShareCG Freebies
“I hope that after I die, people will say of me: ‘That guy sure owed me a lot of money.’” - Jack Handey

1 of 3