Digital Art Zone

How do I copy a Figure
Posted: 28 May 2012 02:13 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  28
Joined  2004-05-31

[color=blue]Yes:

I just had a quick question fore you all. How do I use the copy figure comand that is listed under the edit menu in Daz Studio 4? I know that it is a simple question, and I’m missing a command step or something like that. Please write back soon and tell me how to use the command. I really appreciate the help.

Thanks again
                                                                          Michael[/color]

Posted: 28 May 2012 03:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2006-10-24

If you mean copy the complete figure setting/shapes/surfaces to another figure, then it’s in the edit dropdown at the top left of the screen.  Go to edit>copy.  Here you have three choices, copy surface, copy figure, and copy selected surfaces (this is for if you just want to copy certain surfaces but not the whole thing).  Selcet copy figure.  Then select the figure you want to paste the settings onto.  Then it’s edit>paste>copy to figure.

Hope that helps.

Posted: 28 May 2012 03:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  13654
Joined  2003-10-09

Just to clarify, the copy commands all copy settings - they don’t copy actual items. The public Release Candidate for DS 4.5 does have instancing, which makes actual copies of mesh that are linked to the original.

Signature 

DAZ Studio Frequently Asked Questions

Index of free DAZ Studio scripts and plugins list

Posted: 10 July 2012 05:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2006-12-03

So, just to be clear, it’s not possible to copy a figure like a modified primitive from the scene and then add it back into the scene as a seperate identical figure in Daz Studio Pro 4.5?

Posted: 13 April 2013 07:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1333
Joined  2003-10-09
ThorTheThunderGod - 10 July 2012 05:13 PM

So, just to be clear, it’s not possible to copy a figure like a modified primitive from the scene and then add it back into the scene as a seperate identical figure in Daz Studio Pro 4.5?

You can. 
  If you want an identical figure that changes when the original figure changes, you would use instancing as described above. 
  If you want to start with an identical figure that you will later want to be different from the original figure, (and the above copy/paste settings aren’t copying every aspect of the figure you need), you can use File > “Save As” > “Scene Subset” to save the figure to a file, which you can then immediately merge back into the scene as a second copy of the figure.