Digital Art Zone

4 of 6
NOW AVAILABLE: Cthulhu Rising (Comercial)
Posted: 14 September 2012 10:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1159
Joined  2005-07-29
MJ007 - 14 September 2012 10:06 PM
RAMWolff - 14 September 2012 07:20 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cthulhu

I actually saw that prior to my post and it didnt list anything particularly special about it… so i figured there was something i was missing.

-MJ

I’m sure you know by now that H.P. Lovecraft wrote a string of horror novels based loosely on Babylonian mythos wherein poor average humans had to face the monstrosities summoned from another plane by cult followers of the ancient slumbering god, Cthulhu.

In the American Sci-Fi Con scene and role-playing game community, Cthulhu has a sort of kitsch popularity.

One popular role-playing game was “Call of Cthulhu” which pit normal humans up against the cultists trying to bring Cthulhu to this plane and when the players ran into one of these summoned creatures, a SAN or Sanity check was called for. Losing a SAN check could cause you to lose your Sanity score or result in a psychological disorder.

Because of this game, however people in the sci-fi community started having an in joke at cons about making “Sanity checks” and others at cons who enjoyed the literature began enjoying talking to people who also enjoyed and understood the literature (unlike the general populace who will look at ya funny if you mention it.)

Images of Cthulhu started popping up at cons and people, liking to make fun of things that are supposed to be scary or deadly or horrifying, started making light of Cthulhu in new and interesting ways.

“Vote for Cthulhu! Cthulhu for President! ... why pick the LESSER of two evils.”

Instead of Hello Kitty, Hello, Cthulhu with an adorable plush multi-tentacled elder-god complete with pink bow.

Or Pokethulhu, riffing off of Pokemon and Cthulhu combined.

In any event, Cthulhu has a huge cult following…. I mean…. of people who enjoy the “fictional” god….. right people? “fictional”

*looks nervous as his eyes dart around nervously clutching a stick of dynamite and lighter so tightly his knuckles are white*

and now, finally because I know this was a dry read, for those Cthulhu fans, a little Cthulhu joke:

After long deliberation, and consultation with dried goat entrails, a winner has been decided on…Paul Robinson, come on down! For his winning joke, Paul gets a kick in the neck, a face full of mud, and a copy of H.P. Lovecraft’s Kingsport! In case you’re curious, here’s the entry that topped all others…

A Servitor of the Outer Gods slithers into a pub. Its a friendly place, so the locals strike up a conversation. Eventually one of the locals asks the Servitor what it does for a living.

“I’m a musician” relies the Servitor. “I can play any instrument known to man, and any other race come to think of it. I’ve done gigs for Azathoth at the centre of the Universe!”

The locals take this as a challenge. “Prove it! Drinks all night if you can play any three instruments we give you to play. Otherwise you’ll but a round for the whole bar!”

Relishing the challenge the Servitor says “You’re on.”

The first instrument the locals produce is a flute. “Too easy!” says the Servitor. Its tentacles wrap around the instrument, and it pipes away. Discordant sounds and outré rhythms issue forth. As a result a couple of the locals curl up into the foetal position, and one or two gibber in the corner. But in the end those that remain standing are suitably impressed.

The next instrument is a guitar. The Servitor looks at it carefully, picked it up and turns it over once or twice. But really, it is no challenge. Plucking sounds that a human with a mere ten fingers could never hope to do, sounds issue forth that challenged the very sanity of the drunkest bar patron. Again however, the locals have to admit the Servitor was damn good.

The last instrument is a set of bagpipes. For moment the Servitor contemplates it. It picks it up, and its tentacles and pseudopods ooze over the intrument. It turns it around and goes through the same process.

This carries on for a few minutes, the Servitor becoming more and mystified. Eventually the locals start getting a bit restless, “Come on” one wag calls out. “You said you can play anything! Give us our beer if you can’t. Can you play it or not?”

“Play it” replies the Servitor. “What do you mean play it? I’m too busy trying to work out how to have sex with it.”

Signature 

<End of transmission from Oz>
TUTORIAL - Creating a Genesis/G2F/G2M Full Body Morph for DAZ Studio Pro 4.6 by RKane_1
TUTORIAL - Creating a Genesis Partial Body Morph in DAZ Studio Pro 4 Using the DForm Tool by RKane_1
TUTORIAL - Applying Shaders by RKane_1 (as stolen blatantly from Jaderail)

Posted: 14 September 2012 11:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  757
Joined  2008-04-30
RKane_1 - 14 September 2012 10:35 PM

One popular role-playing game was “Call of Cthulhu” which pit normal humans up against the cultists trying to bring Cthulhu to this plane and when the players ran into one of these summoned creatures, a SAN or Sanity check was called for. Losing a SAN check could cause you to lose your Sanity score or result in a psychological disorder.

Oh ok.  Now i know what people were referring to when they were using the term “SAN”.  Gotcha.  Thanx!

-MJ

Posted: 14 September 2012 11:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11464
Joined  2007-11-06

Signature 

...it’s five minutes to midnight…

I’d rather have a blue sky above me than a blue screen in front of me.

Posted: 14 September 2012 11:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  55
Joined  2011-10-15

When I saw this, really, I knew it was a must have. This is a really, really great model! smile

I hope you continue and bring forth more Elder Gods and ancient horrors from beyond into our 3D dimension smile It’d be great to have a whole line of these bad boys!

Posted: 14 September 2012 11:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  921
Joined  2012-02-03
MJ007 - 14 September 2012 10:06 PM
RAMWolff - 14 September 2012 07:20 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cthulhu

I actually saw that prior to my post and it didnt list anything particularly special about it… so i figured there was something i was missing.

-MJ

The only thing I can suggest is to read the stories; http://www.dagonbytes.com/thelibrary/lovecraft/ . There are elements in some stories that may offend modern readers, but there’s still a lot worth reading if you like old school horror.

Posted: 15 September 2012 02:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  225
Joined  2005-10-18

I bought this the very moment I saw it.

An outstanding model..Please, PLEASE, PLEASE, give us some more monsters from the Mythos…

S.K.

Posted: 15 September 2012 04:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5751
Joined  2005-08-29

He’s back!

Image Attachments
daily_express_blood.jpg
 Signature 

=============================================
My DAZ Gallery  | The adventures of Lomund
Free RPG adventures for DnD, O:FR and more: http://4eyes.code66.se
Community Volunteer

Proud member of the Bald Wizards Club
I always look on the bright side of life, ‘cause I never expected the Spanish inquisition!

Posted: 15 September 2012 07:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  229
Joined  2005-10-26

The only reason I haven’t bought this is I just ordered a new hard-drive for my pc!
I could have waited, but I wouldn’t have been able to use it because I’ve run out of room on my current drive. red face

Signature 

Old post count 4147
MY DA Gallery : http://flashback37.deviantart.com/

Posted: 15 September 2012 08:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 54 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2643
Joined  2004-07-06

In Bryce 7.1 Pro - just for fun.  I do like this model.

Image Attachments
Bronze_TA_test3.jpg
 Signature 

that Bryce Tutorials Info and this Products made by Horo and myself and a link to my gallery at DAZ 3D

Posted: 15 September 2012 02:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 55 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5751
Joined  2005-08-29

Cthulhu in R’lyeh

Image Attachments
Rlyeh.jpg
 Signature 

=============================================
My DAZ Gallery  | The adventures of Lomund
Free RPG adventures for DnD, O:FR and more: http://4eyes.code66.se
Community Volunteer

Proud member of the Bald Wizards Club
I always look on the bright side of life, ‘cause I never expected the Spanish inquisition!

Posted: 15 September 2012 02:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 56 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-06

Signature 

Posted: 15 September 2012 10:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 57 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4785
Joined  2011-10-04

There’s the catch-up sale coming up, and that’s where I hope to snag ‘im.

Signature 

Remembering Jaderail. Rest, my friend.
My DeviantArt page.
My DAZ Studio 4 freebies.
My ramblings/blog

Posted: 15 September 2012 11:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 58 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-06

Signature 

Posted: 16 September 2012 08:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 59 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  164
Joined  2004-12-23

I think I’m going to need a bigger weapon.

Image Attachments
Need_a_bigger_weapon.jpg

Posted: 16 September 2012 09:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 60 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2260
Joined  2003-10-09

My turn to play

(I should add that I edited the textures a bit to add my own look to it)

Rawn

Image Attachments
Cthl-1.jpg
 Signature 

A step away from the ordinary
http://www.daz3d.com/shop/rawart/

4 of 6