Digital Art Zone

2 of 3
Read me’s
Posted: 13 September 2012 02:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  727
Joined  2003-10-09
namffuak - 13 September 2012 01:14 PM

I submitted bug report 47340 about the readmes back in July - feel free to pile on with comments. Bug report here.

Yep. I already added my comment to that report a while back. The more, the merrier.

mac

Posted: 13 September 2012 08:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Administrator
RankRank
Total Posts:  316
Joined  2003-10-09
Richard Haseltine - 12 September 2012 12:14 PM

Note, however, that the filelist won’t be included - you’ll need to grab that separately.

Not if you export the page as PDF. I wrote a plugin, several months back, for Dokuwiki (the “engine” behind the documentation center) specifically for this purpose. If the page is being rendered as xhtml (normal display within the browser), the file_list page is linked from the start page - because file lists can get rather long, and unless you want to see them… in the way. When the page is rendered to pdf (or odt, but there are bugs in the odt plugin itself), the link to the file_list page is omitted from the top of the product notes section and instead included as its own section immediately below the product notes.

-Rob

Signature 

- Documentation Center
- Install Manager
- DAZ Studio 4.x
- DSON Importer
- DSON File Format Specification

Posted: 13 September 2012 08:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Administrator
RankRank
Joined  2003-10-09
maclean - 13 September 2012 10:31 AM

I’ve included a readme in many products, and I dutifully made wiki pages for every product I had. Not that it did much good. They’ve all vanished now.

Incorrect. All of the ReadMe’s that where on the ArtZone site prior to it being taken down reside in a dedicated ArtZone namespace, or more specifically the Products A-Z index, on the Documentation Center - I personally moved all of them over. The index page for that section is linked within the text on the new ReadMe index page.

Home One Apartment
Home One Bedroom
Home One Bathroom
Home One House

-Rob

Signature 

- Documentation Center
- Install Manager
- DAZ Studio 4.x
- DSON Importer

Posted: 13 September 2012 08:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  520
Joined  2005-09-12
rbtwhiz - 13 September 2012 08:16 PM

Note, however, that the filelist won’t be included - you’ll need to grab that separately.

Not if you export the page as PDF. I wrote a plugin, several months back, for Dokuwiki (the “engine” behind the documentation center) specifically for this purpose. If the page is being rendered as xhtml (normal display within the browser), the file_list page is linked from the start page - because file lists can get rather long, and unless you want to see them… in the way. When the page is rendered to pdf (or odt, but there are bugs in the odt plugin itself), the link to the file_list page is omitted from the top of the product notes section and instead included as its own section immediately below the product notes.

-Rob

Not to bust your bubble—but I just pulled the PDF for the A3 and H3 shapes for genesis. I got a 79.0 KB PDF with a link back to the wiki for the file list; it is NOT included in the PDF.

Signature 

The only constant is change—and it’s a variable.

Posted: 13 September 2012 09:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Administrator
RankRank
Joined  2003-10-09
namffuak - 13 September 2012 08:49 PM
rbtwhiz - 13 September 2012 08:16 PM

-Rob

Not to bust your bubble—but I just pulled the PDF for the A3 and H3 shapes for genesis. I got a 79.0 KB PDF with a link back to the wiki for the file list; it is NOT included in the PDF.

First I’ve been made aware that it wasn’t working. I’m looking into why, right now.

-Rob

Signature 

- Documentation Center
- Install Manager
- DAZ Studio 4.x
- DSON Importer

Posted: 14 September 2012 12:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRank
Joined  2005-09-12
rbtwhiz - 13 September 2012 09:13 PM

First I’ve been made aware that it wasn’t working. I’m looking into why, right now.

-Rob

Probably because all the rest of us thought it was supposed to be a two-step process. smile

Signature 

Posted: 14 September 2012 04:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  501
Joined  2005-01-18

I bought Sandy hair for Genesis the other day, installed it yesterday and there was no readme. Not included and not online although the link pointed to the doc centre there was nothing there, no Sandy Hair for Genesis either. ohh 

And no filelist included in the Sandy hair for V4 pdf also: Sandy hair read me
I didn’t even know there was supposed to be one in the pdf. Anyhow, this one went back online and I don’t like it. :( 
So please put them back in the products I buy so I have them on my computer? When that thing crashes I won’t blame DAZ for it, maybe…  raspberry

Love, Jeanne

Signature 

I am what I am, my own special creation

Posted: 19 September 2012 05:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  727
Joined  2003-10-09
rbtwhiz - 13 September 2012 08:28 PM
maclean - 13 September 2012 10:31 AM

I’ve included a readme in many products, and I dutifully made wiki pages for every product I had. Not that it did much good. They’ve all vanished now.

Incorrect. All of the ReadMe’s that where on the ArtZone site prior to it being taken down reside in a dedicated ArtZone namespace, or more specifically the Products A-Z index, on the Documentation Center - I personally moved all of them over. The index page for that section is linked within the text on the new ReadMe index page.

Home One Apartment
Home One Bedroom
Home One Bathroom
Home One House

-Rob

Sorry about that, Rob. I thought they had all gone. Thanks for the correction.

mac

Posted: 21 September 2012 09:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  538
Joined  2011-04-12
SimonJM - 12 September 2012 03:25 PM
DAZ_bfurner - 12 September 2012 12:49 PM

One of the reasons the read me files are all online is that products change and get updated. The online read me files are there to have one location where you can go to see the latest updates and info on that product. This decision has come with a lot of controversy but it should help customers know exactly what the status of their products are at any given time.

The Create PDF is available when you install your products, and if you need the read me, save a pdf during the installation process.

That is part of the problem.  I want to know what I have, not what is now available.

THIS.  I’ve just started the process of redownloading all updated products, and by far the easiest way I’ve found to find out what version of a product I have (and from there, whether I need to reset and download) is using the readme.

Signature 

Not interested in the giant leap backwards that is “Genesis 2”.

Posted: 22 September 2012 12:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Administrator
RankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

Using the “Export As: PDF” action link on ReadMe pages should again include the contents of the “File List” page, as I previously described it.

-Rob

Signature 

- Documentation Center
- Install Manager
- DAZ Studio 4.x
- DSON Importer

Posted: 22 September 2012 02:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  13703
Joined  2003-10-09

Thanks Rob, that’s going to make life easier.

Signature 

DAZ Studio Frequently Asked Questions

Index of free DAZ Studio scripts and plugins list

Posted: 22 September 2012 02:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2285
Joined  2003-12-06

Asking the question again because there doesn’t seem to have been an answer yet…

This decision has come with a lot of controversy but it should help customers know exactly what the status of their products are at any given time.

I’m a customer, and I don’t know what the status of a product I recently bought is, because the online readme does not yet exist!

I really can’t understand why this decision was taken, given the incomplete state of the online readmes. Some items require a detailed set of instructions, they aren’t included in the installer any more and they aren’t online yet. See the problem?

Signature 

Gone to Vegas to play poker. Back when I run out of clothes.—Your Muse.

Posted: 22 September 2012 06:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
RankRank
Joined  2005-09-12
rbtwhiz - 22 September 2012 12:34 PM

Using the “Export As: PDF” action link on ReadMe pages should again include the contents of the “File List” page, as I previously described it.

-Rob

Great work, Rob! This helps quite a bit. I know you do a lot of this on what are supposed to be your off-hours, and I really do appreciate it!

I still stand on my argument for having the readme in the download as well as on the wiki, as stated in the mantis bug tracker.

And, as a dial-up user, I need to ask (since one of the claimed benefits of the wiki is the ability to tell when a product has been updated) - HOW do I determine from the index page if a product has been updated? I don’t have enough hours in a week to look at all the detail pages to get the information.

Signature 

Posted: 11 November 2012 03:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  299
Joined  2008-10-01

For all the reasons so far mentioned I can only add my wishes for a return to included readme files. Saving them as a pdf or any format presumably requires one to be online to access the readme in the first place, and since none of my workstations have ever had modems, and hopefully never will, it has become an almighty headache.

So please DAZ reinstate the read me files to the product installers. Pretty please!

Posted: 11 November 2012 04:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2285
Joined  2003-12-06

How many times do I have to ask this question until I get an answer? “A lot of controversy” is beginning to sound like the understatement of the year.

This decision has come with a lot of controversy but it should help customers know exactly what the status of their products are at any given time.

I’m a customer, and I don’t know what the status of a product I recently bought is, because the online readme does not yet exist!

I really can’t understand why this decision was taken, given the incomplete state of the online readmes. Some items require a detailed set of instructions, they aren’t included in the installer any more and they aren’t online yet. See the problem?

Signature 

Gone to Vegas to play poker. Back when I run out of clothes.—Your Muse.

2 of 3