Digital Art Zone

2 of 2
Was there ever a non-beta Shader Mixer for DS3A?
Posted: 17 September 2012 02:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15264
Joined  2003-10-09

UV Set and smoothing are universal surface settings, as far as I know they come before the actual shader applied.

Signature 

DAZ Studio Frequently Asked Questions

Index of free DAZ Studio scripts and plugins list

Posted: 17 September 2012 10:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  488
Joined  2007-09-01

Thanks Rob/Richard for the latest answers - I’m running out of questions here! But I’ll be back - just need to play a bit more to find some new questions.

I’m still cherry-picking the Shader Mixer links from Pen’s thread that relate to Material shaders (Camera/Light shaders are with Shader Builder on my ‘for later’ list). There’s a lot of helpful stuff there. The older stuff is obviously written about the early DS3A Shader Mixer Beta, but it’s easy enough to apply it to the DS4.5 version.

And I’m beginning to like DS4.5 too…

Signature 

Website: UnrealImperfect | Freebies: Renderosity, ShareCG | ‘Art’: DeviantArt | Blog: Blogger
(aka Pete Williams)

Posted: 23 September 2012 09:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-09-01
rbtwhiz - 17 September 2012 12:14 AM

...By default, the group a property is in (i.e. its path) is determined by the title of the brick the property belongs to. Unless you specifically customize individual property paths, you can change the group a property is in by changing the title of the brick (option menu, in the top right corner of the brick)...

Somebody please tell me I’m not going crazy. This simply doesn’t work for me (most of the time*) !

I can change the brick title no problem, but the changed title is not reflected in Shader Mixer’s ‘Properties’ tab, nor DS4.5s ‘Surfaces’ tab, which both use the brick’s original name. I’ve got it reproducible (more-or-less*) with this minimal sequence, but don’t think I should file a bug report unless somebody else can reproduce it too…

1) Open DS4.5, Create > Primitive > Sphere, select the sphere, and select it’s ‘Default’ material on the ‘Surfaces’ tab.
2) Window > Panes > Shader Mixer, then File > New Shader > Material > Accept
3) Insert > Bricks > Functions > Textures > ImageMap
4) Change Title, rename it and Accept.
5) Connect Image Color O/P to Diffuse Color I/P of DS Default Material and hit ‘Apply’

After step (4) the new brick ‘Image Map (3)’ has been renamed ‘Stencil’ as expected, but it’s still ‘Image Map (3)’ in Shader Mixer’s ‘Properties’ tab.
After step (5) the sphere’s default material on the ‘Surfaces’ tab consists of these groups:
UV Maps, Smoothing, Diffuse, Specular, Ambient, Opacity, Image Map (3)

*N.B. I was about to post this a couple of hours ago, and ran through the procedure one last time just to check - the darn thing worked properly! So I thought it must be finger trouble. All seemed fine for an hour or so, then it started playing up again. I’ve just run through th e above sequence and the problem definitely occurred this time.

Signature 

Website: UnrealImperfect | Freebies: Renderosity, ShareCG | ‘Art’: DeviantArt | Blog: Blogger
(aka Pete Williams)

Posted: 23 September 2012 09:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-09-01

Just repeated the sequence - same problem. About to reboot and try again from a clean start…

Rebooting didn’t help - same problem.

For info: DS 4.5.0.114 Pro (64 bit version) - checked the change log and it doesn’t appear to be a known bug that’s fixed in a later release. Can’t find a list of known unfixed bugs anywhere.

Edit (29 Sep ‘12): Still got this problem. However, since the ‘path’ for a parameter can be edited (by double-clicking on the parameter name as Rob explained) that allows me to get round the issue. Not a solution, but a workaround.

I’ve started a new thread Simple Material Mixing With DS4.5 Shader Mixer - Advice Please? thread over in the DAZ Studio Discussion forum focussed on my first Shader Mixer project.

Big thanks to Pen, Richard and Rob for the help getting starting with this.

Signature 

(aka Pete Williams)

2 of 2