Posted: 15 September 2012 12:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1104
Joined  2005-07-29
Zaarin - 15 September 2012 09:27 AM
RKane_1 - 14 September 2012 08:47 PM
Zaarin - 14 September 2012 08:19 PM

I’m sticking around for now—I see no reason to leave just yet—but I can’t say DAZ makes me feel terribly welcome these days. :/ I am pleased with how many Gen4 products have been released in the PA sale, though, so maybe we’re turning a corner in post-Genesis D|S/Poser relations. On the other hand, these releases are coming from PAs, not DAZ. It’s been a while since we’ve had a Gen4 PC product, for example.

Perhaps this is a recent turn of events but you may need to look again…

Misu for V4

Addison for Genesis and V4

Taylor Hair

Ksenia for V4

These are all DAZ Originals within the last month or so.

Hm, so they are. Yes, this is a recent turn of events…for a while we weren’t even getting DAZ Originals for Gen4 for months at a time. But I did say PC items deliberately—I’m aware there have been a few new Gen4 DAZ Originals lately.

Well, I am glad for Poser users. I will be even MORE glad when Genesis is made for Poser and I’m sure you guys will be too but I understand you guys have an affection for an older model. I am still rather fond of Apollo Maximus but there is very little support out there for him.

Signature 

<End of transmission from Oz>
TUTORIAL - Creating a Genesis/G2F/G2M Full Body Morph for DAZ Studio Pro 4.6 by RKane_1
TUTORIAL - Creating a Genesis Partial Body Morph in DAZ Studio Pro 4 Using the DForm Tool by RKane_1
TUTORIAL - Applying Shaders by RKane_1 (as stolen blatantly from Jaderail)

Posted: 15 September 2012 01:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  86
Joined  2011-09-04

I have to say that change, especially in software programs, is inevitable and one must adapt.  Heck, I am a totally an Apple MAC user and I know how frustrating it is to find MAC programs compatible to Windows OS offerings.  I have had and will anticipate good feelings and great expectations using DAZ Studio.  Sure, 4.5 is frustrating at times, but I can at least get my arms around it and create art, whereas I cannot in Poser Pro 2012.  I have yet to be able to figure that software package out and create anything.  Some talk about the missing user manuals for DAZ.  Try to find a manual for Poser Pro 2012 that will get one started in laymen terms.  This is just one example. I really think that DAZ is right on target and see nothing but good things coming about.  Growing pains are inevitable.  For those of you that are leaving, stop and think before you close the door.  Without much support from the user community, DAZ, as well as any other software company, will find it hard to evolve.  Do not shoot yourselves in the foot.  Stick to it and help DAZ be what you want it to be.

Posted: 15 September 2012 01:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1104
Joined  2005-07-29

Not to mention, DAZ 4.5 is a change for the better. Making it a more stable application, more usable in other programs, making it hand-editable in a text editor for every file, making the SDK available right away…

Geesh… everyone be quite… there may be a manual on the horizon….

...er…

Don’t hold your breath. *chuckle* *sigh*

Signature 

<End of transmission from Oz>
TUTORIAL - Creating a Genesis/G2F/G2M Full Body Morph for DAZ Studio Pro 4.6 by RKane_1
TUTORIAL - Creating a Genesis Partial Body Morph in DAZ Studio Pro 4 Using the DForm Tool by RKane_1
TUTORIAL - Applying Shaders by RKane_1 (as stolen blatantly from Jaderail)

Posted: 15 September 2012 02:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  12543
Joined  2007-11-06
SultryLady - 15 September 2012 01:03 PM

For those of you that are leaving, stop and think before you close the door.  Without much support from the user community, DAZ, as well as any other software company, will find it hard to evolve.  Do not shoot yourselves in the foot.  Stick to it and help DAZ be what you want it to be.

...I’ve tried.  Yes, sometimes my comments have been a bit on the harsh side but it is not that wish any ill will on Daz, On the contrary were it not for Daz Studio, I’d still be downing Advil like M&Ms; so I could hold a pencil or brush in my stiff arthritic hands for more than ten minutes.

Sometimes those who care say things you don’t really want to hear even though their only intent is to help you look at things from a different perspective. All many of us are asking so for Daz to “slow down” and focus on insuring the core of the application is stable instead of being distracted with the development of the next shiny new feature. I’ve thrown out many analogies to where this sort of practise can lead, and sometimes it is a total fail. 

No, I’m not saying that businesses isn’t about not taking risks. Heck if in the 1950s Boeing didn’t commit to the “Billion Dollar Gamble” (the 707 project) they would not have become the world’s leader in aircraft development and manufacturing as well as respected for providing a stable and durable product line.  Boeing also has one of the most rigorous and exhaustive testing programmes to insure that their product not only meet, but exceed the established standards and expectations. They actually build a full aeroplane and then proceed to try and physically rip it apart on a testing device known affectionately as ‘The Rack” which is designed to simulate years of service life in a matter of weeks.  In one instance the engineers actually celebrated snapping a wing spar of a 747. The stresses that were simulated were akin to the plane trying to pull out of a high Mach number supersonic dive which would never occur in its real service life.  Now that is “beta testing” to the extreme.

...back to the matter at hand.

I just as much would like to see Daz succeed, however, unlike Boeing they seem more concerned about the interior seating arrangement and passenger amenities than the airworthiness of the aeroplane itself. The ills with new website “update” (now heading into the fourth month) just reinforce the feelings that Daz still has difficulty focusing on the real needs of their core product and consequently, customer base.

Yes, change, particularly in the digital media world, is inevitable, but that doesn’t mean it has to be disruptive.

As a small company Daz needs to focus their resources on one, rather than several projects at the same time.  Boeing was already a large, successful, and highly respected company when they began on the 707.  On the other hand, in the 3D CG world, Daz is still a relatively small player with little to no respect from the “upper echelons” of the media they are involved in.  They cannot hope to do what an Autodesk or Corel can because they just do not have the staff and resources to support it. Yes, maybe focusing primarily on say the Studio application for now may put the Carrara and Bryce camps at odds for a bit, but Studio is Daz’s “baby” so to say. It is what they have staked their future on.  Carrara and Bryce were acquisitions from other software developers (and yes, I do have the latest releases of both).  Granted, it was an admirable gesture rather than to just let these programmes die, but trying to cover all these bases while attempting to establish it’s own Identity with it’s own product has Daz looking more like the Keystone Kops rather than MI5.

Signature 

...it’s five minutes to midnight…

I’d rather have a blue sky above me than a blue screen in front of me.

Posted: 15 September 2012 03:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  675
Joined  2009-02-04

You know the first time I stumbled accross the Daz Store back in 2008, 3 thoughts came to mind
1) Wow tinfoil shiney shiney! can i use this stuff in 3ds max?
2) Why are all these models so cheap? they would cost hundreds on Turbosquid?
3) I think this must be a Russian company.

To this day I still have NO idea what made think of #3) hmmm

Signature 

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/dogz

2 of 2