Digital Art Zone

1 of 3
Can’t execute the DAZ exe file in MAC OS
Posted: 28 May 2012 09:20 AM   [ Ignore ]
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2011-12-20

I have bought a number of figures were it is just impossible to make the DAZ exe file work under Mac.  I click but it is not executing (or it is hidden somewhere. I can’t load the file in POSER 7. Surprizingly some work…and some don’t. Anyone who can help me with this?
Many thanks for your help guys/girls.

Walther

Posted: 28 May 2012 09:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9067
Joined  2004-07-21

I thought Macs cannot run exe files.

Signature 

Hello, Sweetie!
click me to save my dragon eggs

Who is cuter Loki or Thor?

Play Runescape

Posted: 28 May 2012 09:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Joined  2011-12-20

Thanks for your note. Still sell the files “for MAC”. Any other way to install the files? thanks for your help.

Walther

Posted: 28 May 2012 09:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  17109
Joined  2003-10-09

Did you make sure that you had downloaded the MAC version

Can you tell us which files you are having trouble with ?

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        NeilV’s Freebies and stuff        Winter Bryce Rendering Challenge        December Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 28 May 2012 09:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2011-12-20

Yes, It is the MAC version that I downloaded. ........

Posted: 28 May 2012 09:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

So can you tell us which files.

I ask this because some of the really old installers are throwing up errors, whether they are for PCs or for MACs. 

So if these are older figures then it may be this known error which you are experiencing.

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        NeilV’s Freebies and stuff        Winter Bryce Rendering Challenge        December Freebie Challenge

Posted: 28 May 2012 09:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2011-12-20

It is:
*Michael 4
*Muscle (Anatomy) Morphs and Maps (V4 bundle)

These are old indeed. Hope you can help

Walther

Posted: 28 May 2012 09:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2011-12-20

I would from far prefer a good old ZIP file that Unzips right to the right Runtime folder. These work perfectly well.

Posted: 28 May 2012 10:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

OK, these are not the installers that are giving problems, as they are newer installers.

Zip files are coming, in the meantime I will see if I can find someone who knows Macs to help you.

Signature 

Posted: 28 May 2012 10:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6153
Joined  2005-08-29
dePeyrac - 28 May 2012 09:20 AM

I have bought a number of figures were it is just impossible to make the DAZ exe file work under Mac.  I click but it is not executing (or it is hidden somewhere. I can’t load the file in POSER 7. Surprizingly some work…and some don’t. Anyone who can help me with this?
Many thanks for your help guys/girls.

Walther

Hello,

couple of question to grasp where and what goes wrong.

(a) What are the exact filenames of the files you downloaded (very important), including the file extension?
(b) What version of Mac OS X are you using?

With answers to these questions I can most probably help you, but are some “golden rules” anyway.

(1) Mac OS X 10.7 does not have the Rosetta PPC emulation in it, so old PPC code cannot run. The old Wise installers are all PPC based, and wont run under 10.7 (easily anyway You can run a Mac OS X 10.6.8 or Windows using Virtual Box and install into an empty runtime, and then zip the results).

(2)  Old installers are compressed with Stuffit (.sit)  and not Zip (.zip). Stuffit Expander can be freely downloaded here: http://www.stuffit.com/mac-expander.html.

(3) Often those old .sit installers contains the old Wise installers see (1), but in the shift between the older WIse and the Newer BitRock installers, some bitrock installers are compressed using Stuffit.

(4) Really really old Wise installers (from 2004 or earlier) are 68k installers and they wont run at all, but those can easily be installed using SheepShaver, http://sheepshaver.cebix.net/ same ,installation procedures as (1)

/ Totte

Signature 

=============================================
My DAZ Gallery  | The adventures of Lomund
Free RPG adventures for DnD, O:FR and more: http://4eyes.code66.se
Community Volunteer

Proud member of the Bald Wizards Club
I always look on the bright side of life, ‘cause I never expected the Spanish inquisition!

Posted: 28 May 2012 12:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2011-12-20

Hi there and thanks for trying to help me.

the extensions are . app / ds.app/ dcp.app
My Mac Os version is 10.6.8

Walther

Posted: 28 May 2012 01:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

If you are installing to Poser, then the only installer you need bother about is the one labelled .dpc.  THe other extensions you mention are for use when installing into Daz Studio,

Signature 

Posted: 28 May 2012 01:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-08-29
dePeyrac - 28 May 2012 12:52 PM

Hi there and thanks for trying to help me.

the extensions are . app / ds.app/ dcp.app
My Mac Os version is 10.6.8

Walther

OK, I see, they are the new installers, the problem might be that you have set Safari to “autoextract safe filetypes”, I prefer to unzip the files myself. (Otherwise you would have seen the .zip files).

But I’ve never had problems on 10.6.8 installing files. (sorry, need to read you original post once more before I can comment further now when I got some facts) OK, I think I see what the problem is now…

You can run the installers fine, but you cant see the result of the installed content? That’s it.
I guess the default path for the installation suggested by the installers are wrong (they always are on Mac OS X).
Did you select where to install the content, and what did you select?

Signature 

Community Volunteer

I always look on the bright side of life, ‘cause I never expected the Spanish inquisition!

Posted: 28 May 2012 03:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2011-12-20

I have downloaded ZIP files from DAZ , which, once unzipped appear to be “.app” files or “ds.app”. This is where the trouble begins as, when I double click the “.app” files, nothing happens, appart from a very brief flash on my screen. I do not have a chance to even see the usual “DAZ” invite where you are asked to choose the Poser folder where you plan to file. The strange thing is that it has worked in a number of cases with other files.

Thanks again for your efforts in helping me

Walther

Posted: 28 May 2012 03:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Joined  2011-12-20

..... I am using Firefox…..not sure that’s the problem

Posted: 28 May 2012 03:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-08-29

OK, check your “system messages”, the installers are pretty good at logging what goes wrong.
On thing that can go wrong is “execution permission”, which do get lost of the files are moved to a “non HFS formatted disk”, for example a USB stick and then back to a Mac OS X file system.

But post what the log says from the installers.

Signature 

Community Volunteer

1 of 3