Digital Art Zone

1 of 3
Boolean in Carrara or Hexagon or am I a fool?
Posted: 10 September 2012 07:20 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  210
Joined  2011-11-01

Hello everybody
Just found Cripeman’s tutorial on making a facade. Seems like that method will work. So I am good.
But I did notice Carrara Cafe tutorials don’t seem to work anymore. Found them on Youtube.
Thanks

I have a simple task. A faceplate for a piece of electronic gear. Picture a 1/4 in thick plate, about 4x10 inches.
This plate would have a few rectangular cut outs for meters, and about 10 small holes for adjustment screws to poke out.
Normally This would take me 5 minutes in Sketchup, then export, then Meshmaker, then it still needs to be messed with in Carrara for the holes to look right. I saw boolean operations in Carrara. This method ’ Looked similar to what I did in sketchup , make the plate , draw a bunch of circles and rectangles and subtract. I tried that , and well It’s just not sinking into my thick skull in carrara. I have read the section in the manual, but it suggests a menu should pop up asking if I want to subtract etc.
I have seen odd french video’s that make it look like it can be done in Hexagon, but when I searched these forums for tips, all I see is
no mention of Boolean in Carrara, and lots of warnings of using this method in Hexagon.
Is there a different method in Carrara I’m missing ( just point me in the write direction I’ll read the manual and find tutorials.
Does this work in Hex?
Thank you for any tips in advance!
Carrara pro 6

Posted: 10 September 2012 07:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1059
Joined  2007-10-15

Yeah, I’d do it in Hex because Carrara’s modeller sucks.

It’s pretty simple, draw out your plate, then make a cylinder the shape of the circular hole, select the plate object, select boolean, and subtract (or whatever the tool is that gets you what you want).

Posted: 10 September 2012 07:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-15

By the way, one reason why I try to never use booleans is you’re gonna get some real nasty polygons when you get it into Carrara. But if it works, then cool.

Posted: 10 September 2012 07:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-15

Oh, and another by the way…

If you can get away with square holes, just do a tesselation by slice in Hex to form the four sides. Much cleaner. And if you’re gonna have big ol’ knobs in front of the holes, maybe you can get away with faking it and not even putting holes in? Or maybe just make black holes in your UV map to make it look like holes?

Posted: 10 September 2012 11:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7461
Joined  2009-07-13

you get nasty ngons in sketchup too using the extrude punch but you can fix them in Carrara by triangulating ngons.
I find punching holes using boolean objects very hit and miss, always the wrong bit deletes!
the sketchup extrude tool is pretty cool, Carrara needs one.
my sad solution is to stick an empty polygon shape in an emptied polygon, bridge it with two lines, fill the two polygons between and triangulate.

Signature 

WARNING do not click tongue rolleye what video horrors will be seen if you do cannot be unseen.
my render thread
        never forget
A Drows Walk
Jaderail is at it again

Posted: 11 September 2012 04:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1828
Joined  2004-08-24

Hi 8069 smile

Unfortunately some of the advice here isn’t going to improve your modelling skills, or your knowledge of Carrara.

Carrara has a Spline modeller, and a Vertex modeller, and the shape you want to create can be made using either modeller, and all without resorting to using Boolean operations.

Boolean tools are like chainsaw,. powerful an useful for some tasks, but its not a general multi-purpose tool.

Booleans should be used when there’s no other possible way to create the shape you want.
but you should really learn what’s possible using basic “Box modelling” skills.

If you have a Vertex drawing program, you can draw the shape you need, and export as an Adobe Illustrator (AI) or Encapsulated post-script (EPS) .. you can then Import that EPS or AI file into the Spline modeller then set the depth you need (See pic 1)

Using basic “Extrusion” in the vertex modeller, you can create the shape you want, without spending much time, and without the mess that usually happens with power tools in the hands of a novice. (see pic 2 )

Hope it helps smile

Image Attachments
plate_spline.jpgplate_vertex.jpg

Posted: 11 September 2012 07:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  631
Joined  2010-09-22

BOOLEAN it a disaster in Carrara and more than problematic in HEX!  Learn to MODEL correctly and and do it the proper way!

Posted: 11 September 2012 07:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  631
Joined  2010-09-22

eDAGE is right! You could get away with it in Carraras Spline modeler. IF you have aa Vector modeler like Illustrator, you can make all the fine curves, then JOIN or combine them. Then simply import them into carrara SLPINE modeler and extrude them! I used to do that all the time.

BUT if your gunna UV map it, forget about it

Posted: 11 September 2012 08:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1828
Joined  2004-08-24

Hi Richard smile

You can still use the Carrara shaders / projection mapping, and the “layer shaders” to texture a spline model, or you can convert it to a Vertex model (edit / Convert to other modeller / vertex modeller). if you want to UV map it and export a UV template to texture.

Boolean operations can be very useful, but,..most people don’t create the correct geometry before they use a Boolean and that Forces the application to create more edges and vertices than are absolutely necessary, and that’s usually what causes the mess.

For example:
If you have a simple cube, and a cylinder, then the cylinder obviously will have more edges than the cube, and if you use a Boolean Cut or subtract on those, then the modeller has to add edges to link all the points together.

If you subdivided the cube first,  to create those additional edges, then the modeller should be able to make a much cleaner boolean.

Modelling without using the boolean , and learning to join different poly-meshes together correctly,..  is a better approach.  (in my opinion)

Quick example :
Sometimes all you need is the illusion of a hole in an object, and that can be done using an Alpha map ..
this is a cube primitive, with a couple of shape Layer shaders applied to it,. One is the Bio-hazard label (texture map), on a rectangular layer, and the other is an alpha map, on an Oval layer, which creates the illusion of a hole.

An alpha (texture map) would probably be the simplest method for the OP to create the illusion of a metal plate with holes.

smile

Image Attachments
layers_list_cube.jpg

Posted: 11 September 2012 09:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-07-13

I meant to follow up my “advice” with screenshots but had to leave for work, just got home now, on android, so I better fire up my desktop and show you how I punch whatever shape holes I desire in flat faces on objects using my bassackwards method!
I know it sounds stoooopid but when I show you you will see it actually is not! tongue wink

Signature 

WARNING do not click tongue rolleye what video horrors will be seen if you do cannot be unseen.
my render thread
        never forget
A Drows Walk
Jaderail is at it again

Posted: 11 September 2012 10:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-07-13

here goes

Image Attachments
Untitled.jpgUntitled1.jpgUntitled2.jpgUntitled3.jpgUntitled4.jpg
 Signature 

my render thread
        never forget
A Drows Walk
Jaderail is at it again

Posted: 11 September 2012 10:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-07-13

Image Attachments
Untitled5.jpgUntitled6.jpgUntitled7.jpgUntitled8.jpg
 Signature 

my render thread
        never forget
A Drows Walk
Jaderail is at it again

Posted: 11 September 2012 10:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-07-13

Unfortunately some of the advice here isn’t going to improve your modelling skills, or your knowledge of Carrara.

or you will learn some thinking outside the box ways of doing stuff that only raving loonies like me could possibly come up with LOL

Signature 

my render thread
        never forget
A Drows Walk
Jaderail is at it again

Posted: 11 September 2012 11:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-07-13

viola red face uhm I had not meant to refer to a stringed instrument, just bad spelling wallah, gallah, ta da!

Signature 

my render thread
        never forget
A Drows Walk
Jaderail is at it again

Posted: 11 September 2012 05:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-15
3DAGE - 11 September 2012 04:42 AM

Awww, Andy, was that a little bit of a shot at the advice I gave? I thought we were buddies smile

A bit surprising, because you pretty much said the same stuff I did. As I’ve always said, booleans suck, but in some cases (very few cases) they are the quickest and most efficient way to get what you want. And in this case, unfortunately, is probably one of those few cases. You can knock out what he’s describing very quickly, and UV map it, without having to have external drawing programs which I assume most hobbyists don’t have.

And it sounds like you agree with my UV mapping approach instead of using a modelling solution.

BTW, here’s a couple images of a plate very quickly modelled in Hex using booleans, UV mapped, and brought into Carrara and shaded. Looks fine to me, UV mapping is fine, and it was really quick to do.

I agree, booleans suck, but sometimes it’s more important to get the job done well than it is to worry about technique, cuz it may not matter. And IMO, that is good modelling technique…knowing when to hold ‘em, and knowing when to fold ‘em…

Image Attachments
Faceplate1.jpgFaceplate.jpg

Posted: 11 September 2012 11:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  210
Joined  2011-11-01

Thanks everybody for the advice!
I managed to get by in the spline modeler. The holes were a bit polyish, but it seemed that turning fidelity up to 500% smoothed it out
a bit. I did look at the ” Voltmeter ” in the carrara stock objects, and noticed even though certain parts looked more like a polygon in the model room they looked very smooth when rendered. This still confuses me a bit. Next time I’ll give the 3Dage’s idea of a import a try.
Again Thank you all again. It never ceases to amaze me how deep this program is!

1 of 3