Digital Art Zone

2 of 2
New to clothing….
Posted: 10 September 2012 03:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  17085
Joined  2003-10-09

a UV map is the template that you use to make your own new textures for items. 

With Genesis, as it is one figure that can be a multitude of figures, you can use different UV maps with it, so if you want a female one, you use the V4 uv map setting, and if you want a male one youe use the M4 UV map.  Normally UV maps are specific to the figure which you are using, so V4 will always need a texture made on the UV map for V4, Genesis is more flexible.

If you want to try spome different skins for your V4, there are a few free ones listed here.
http://forumarchive.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=152606

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        NeilV’s Freebies and stuff        Winter Bryce Rendering Challenge        December Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 11 September 2012 05:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  254
Joined  2012-06-03

Thanks Chohole great !

I decided last night to remove the last few odd mistakes and lost files etc. by a complete re-install of 4.5 including all the products I’ve bought into the Daz recommended Content files. Only problem is there’s nothing showing in the Content Library now even though they’re all safely in place in Windows Explorer folders and the Content Directory Manager….????

Mystery a minute lately….red face

Signature 

“Those curious locks so aptly twin’d,
Whose every hair a soul doth bind.”
Thomas Carew 1595 ~ 1640

Posted: 11 September 2012 05:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7092
Joined  2005-08-15

Can you show a screenshot of where these files are installed exactly?  If you use windows explorer, and go to the folder in documents where you have them installed.  I take it that you have put them in the My Library folder, and NOT a folder called ‘content’.?

Posted: 11 September 2012 05:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-06-03

Thanks….

Image Attachments
Missing_Daz_files.JPG
 Signature 

Thomas Carew 1595 ~ 1640

Posted: 11 September 2012 05:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-06-03

It does look as though there’s 2 Runtime folders which might be the problem ....?

Image Attachments
Missing_Daz_files_1.JPG
 Signature 

Thomas Carew 1595 ~ 1640

Posted: 11 September 2012 06:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-08-15

There is a load of stuff in the second ‘runtime’ that should not be there.  Runtime is a Poser content folder, and there should be no DAZ Studio content in there at all. 

Normally I would suggest merging the two runtime folders, but there is more to it than that.  It looks like you have from ‘Aniblocks’ down to ‘ReadMe’s’ in the Geometries folder?  They are all DS content and should be directly in the My Library folder.

It really is a mess.  The install path MUST end with ‘My Library’ for all content, Poser or DAZ Studio.  NEVER allow the installer to install to My Library\Runtime, or any other subfolder of My Library.  Make sure that the installer has a path that ends with My Library, and everything will install into the correct place.

Posted: 11 September 2012 07:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-06-03
JimmyC_2009 - 11 September 2012 06:26 AM

There is a load of stuff in the second ‘runtime’ that should not be there.  Runtime is a Poser content folder, and there should be no DAZ Studio content in there at all. 

Normally I would suggest merging the two runtime folders, but there is more to it than that.  It looks like you have from ‘Aniblocks’ down to ‘ReadMe’s’ in the Geometries folder?  They are all DS content and should be directly in the My Library folder.

It really is a mess.  The install path MUST end with ‘My Library’ for all content, Poser or DAZ Studio.  NEVER allow the installer to install to My Library\Runtime, or any other subfolder of My Library.  Make sure that the installer has a path that ends with My Library, and everything will install into the correct place.

Oh wow !! As Daz 4.5 Pro is all free and being a complete Newbie to 3D anyway I automatically assumed that everything will all have been pre-planned by Daz to go into the right folders to avoid this very situation occuring. As I was never aware or read anything about this when starting rather than leaving it all for the installer to decide which I did, oughtn’t it all to be updated asap to end with “My Library” in any case to avoid this happening to future Newbies who’ve no idea or previous experience of 3D as well ?

Meanwhile thank you, get on with it asap !

Signature 

Thomas Carew 1595 ~ 1640

Posted: 11 September 2012 09:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-08-15

I believe that there are over 11,000 items in the DAZ Store, and it would be a monumental task to redo them all.  Anyway, there is provision for noting where the install path is, and it should always install to the correct one (if you used the correct one the first time smile.)

Just keep an eye on where the installer wants to put things, you can change the path.  It is always a good practice to look anyway, although I must say I often used to just clcik away myself.

Posted: 11 September 2012 09:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-06-03
JimmyC_2009 - 11 September 2012 09:10 AM

I believe that there are over 11,000 items in the DAZ Store, and it would be a monumental task to redo them all.  Anyway, there is provision for noting where the install path is, and it should always install to the correct one (if you used the correct one the first time smile.)

Just keep an eye on where the installer wants to put things, you can change the path.  It is always a good practice to look anyway, although I must say I often used to just clcik away myself.

Must admit I missed the provision for noting where the install path bit was amongst all the other start up distractions, what/ where exactly is the provision as naturally I’m a wee bit curious ?  Nevertheless I think the core problem if/ when you do miss this provision is always going to be how is one to know/ use “the correct one the first time” as I must be on my tenth or eleventh by now ! rolleyes

Signature 

Thomas Carew 1595 ~ 1640

Posted: 11 September 2012 11:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-08-15

I have a file in C:\Users\JimmyC\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D, called dzInstall.ini which holds the correct path.  I am not sure if this file is still used by DS4P, but it looks like it.  It is dated 5th Sept so looks like it is still used.

2 of 2