Digital Art Zone

3 of 27
Carrara Academy for Light of Heaven
Posted: 19 September 2012 05:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7462
Joined  2009-07-13

it will not go splat unless you add softbody in modifiers and then only more of a cloth, deflated balloon to jelly effect depending on the parameters.
you can also add a value under the physics setting for initial velocity and direction.

Signature 

WARNING do not click tongue rolleye what video horrors will be seen if you do cannot be unseen.
my render thread
        never forget
A Drows Walk
Jaderail is at it again

Posted: 19 September 2012 10:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  638
Joined  2011-01-13

Could you look at my scene and tell me what IU’m getting wrong? The sphere only seems to fall binstead of fly at the wall.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/106879025/splat.car

Signature 

An expert is just an experienced novice.

Posted: 20 September 2012 12:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-07-13

I need to leave for work soon
but
initial look

make your floor plane bigger so it goes under the sphere
increase friction and density on all, maybe bounce
point your directional force the direction you want to throw it
angular velocity needs to be on y axis, try about 30 or more degrees
add initial velocity of say -100 to y axis
in physics settings under scene try lower collision distance, higher settings for accuracy

play with your soft body settings
I get deflated ballons, bouncy balls with wobble so far, still trying but need to leave soon

Signature 

WARNING do not click tongue rolleye what video horrors will be seen if you do cannot be unseen.
my render thread
        never forget
A Drows Walk
Jaderail is at it again

Posted: 20 September 2012 12:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-07-13

will admt I find going splat dropping easier
you can do that, convert to keyframes and rotate the scene.

Signature 

my render thread
        never forget
A Drows Walk
Jaderail is at it again

Posted: 20 September 2012 01:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
RankRank
Joined  2011-01-13

Thanks. So, it was falling because there was no floor under it, right?

And yeah, I agree that drop-splat sounds easier. I wanted to experiment with forces though. Will play with what you gave me.

Signature 

Posted: 21 September 2012 11:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
RankRank
Joined  2011-01-13

Well, I made it go splat. When it splats, it just falls on the floor and looks like poop or something. lol How do you make it slide down the wall slowly?

Signature 

Posted: 21 September 2012 11:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-07-13

Andy!!!
please help Jacob get his poopy poo more slithery! tongue rolleye

Signature 

my render thread
        never forget
A Drows Walk
Jaderail is at it again

Posted: 22 September 2012 12:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
RankRank
Joined  2011-01-13

What? And I thought Wendy ws the animation expert. raspberry j/p

Signature 

Posted: 22 September 2012 03:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-07-13

I would experiment around with it, adding particles that only start emitting upon splat point etc,
only thing I have done is a tomato splatting and I did that for that, but it only had to fall to the ground.

Signature 

my render thread
        never forget
A Drows Walk
Jaderail is at it again

Posted: 22 September 2012 06:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1828
Joined  2004-08-24

HI All smile

Firstly, I agree with Wendy,. experimenting with stuff is one of the best ways to learn how and when to use different tools or features, like particles emitting when the object hit’s the wall.

Since this is a Physics simulation,.. to get the object to slide down the wall, after impact, you’ll need to look at what forces are effecting it, (what’s holding it there, and what’s forcing it to drop)

I’d also suggest switching off the default scene gravity, and replacing it with a direction force, pointing down, (to create a “fake gravity”)since the direction force strength can be animated and key-framed which gives you more control than the “Default” scene gravity.

It’s also important to figure out if a physics simulation is the best way to create what you want to happen. (instead of simulating what would happen)

If you want a ball bouncing realistically,.. then it should be easy to simulate that using physics,.

If you want a tomato splatting into a wall, and then “slowly” sliding down it,.... It may be simpler, and easier to control the motion by animating it, instead of trying to accurately simulate it through physics.

Try throwing a few tomatoes against a wall and see how many will burst, but bounce off,.. or drop to the floor,.. instead of sliding slowly down..

It is possible to use some elements of BOTH physics and animation, by simulating the Physics of an object hitting a surface, then converting that motion into key-frames,..which you can then adjust and delete as you need. but you can’t run the physics again, after it’s been converted to key-frames, unless you delete all the key-frames and start again.

You should experiment with key-framing the forces which effect the object,.. (if there are no forces effecting it,. It’ll float in Zero-Gravity )

Hope it helps smile

Posted: 22 September 2012 03:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
RankRank
Joined  2011-01-13

I was actually experimenting with particle emitters until I got stuck and couldn’t figure out what the problem was (page 2). But yeah, I have been doing a bunch of experimenting on this and that, so I’ve been both learning and running into walls.

So, I guess you could say this splatting thing is how I feel. raspberry “Weeeeee—” SPLAT! :D

Signature 

Posted: 25 September 2012 10:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
RankRank
Joined  2011-01-13

I’m just playing with stuff now. I tried a particle emitter and a directional force pointed up. What exactly does this force do? Because my particles only spread out on the floor.

Signature 

Posted: 26 September 2012 12:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16477
Joined  2009-01-22

Does not the UP force have a setting? So you can Push the particles? If not you might need to add Physic’s to the UP force with a trigger for when they happen.

And this from a person who does not use Carrara.

Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club My stuff at DeviantArt

Posted: 26 September 2012 01:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-07-13

the particle need to be
free in the scene, subject to forces etc under the advanced settings
you can also specify which forces affect them

Signature 

my render thread
        never forget
A Drows Walk
Jaderail is at it again

Posted: 26 September 2012 01:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
RankRank
Joined  2011-01-13

@Jeff: That might be the problem. I don’t know. It didn’t look like Di\mension Theory used any Physics in the free scene files I picked up. I’ll have to double check.

@Wendy: I did do that.

Signature 

3 of 27