Digital Art Zone

17 of 25
Carrara Academy for Light of Heaven
Posted: 21 October 2012 07:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 241 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1776
Joined  2011-07-31

Jacob, I think you’re very smart with Carrara.  You’re always finding a way to make it do what you want.  And you share your process with us so we can learn from you.  Thank you.

Signature 

AtticAnne in Austin TX

FREE GANGSTER RPG GAME

Posted: 21 October 2012 08:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 242 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1806
Joined  2004-08-24

HI smile

There are a couple of issues here,.. (protected content) for example figures you’ve purchased, like V4 M4 etc..
those are protected (from the user) smile  but you can break in and edit the model in carrara, but you can easily break morphs, mapping, rigging, etc…if you don’t know what you’re doing.

Fenric has a nice “Posing tools” plugin set which includes an Unlock / Lock option to do this without breaking the figure.

The other thing is Figure groups,.. or Animated groups
You can’t copy / paste an entire figure with rigging,.
You can save the figure to your browser, then drag it back into the scene to create a new figure.

For parenting it’s a matter of dragging the item to the body part in the instance list on the right,. you can drag an item to the bottom of the list, and the list should scroll up,.. or you can reduce the visible branches so that it’s a shorter list of parts.
you can also expand that panel.

LOH wrote:

I want to scale one part of an object that doesn’t have any children/bones to select, but when I take it to the model room and scale that part, it goes through the rest of the object that is not selected.

Hi loh smile
can you say what object it is,. eg: a prop…
and what part of it you’re trying to adjust,.. maybe even a pic or two… smile

in Cararra, there’s two ways to scale,..
There’s the “real” scale,..  which is in the Modelling room,... and there’s the “false” scale,.. in the Assembly room.
when you edit a model in the modelling room, and you adjust it’s scale,. then that changes the physical size of the object.

when you change the scale of an object in the assembly room, then the original object remains the same, it’s just artificially scaled up or down.

How do I add bones or children?

There’s a Bone tool in the main toolbar,. in the assembly room,. you’d add bones by drawing them using that tool,.
TIP: use the Quad view option to show the front, left, top and camera view when you’re adding bones, so that they’re created in the correct place. .. it also helps to have your model in the scene at 0.0.0.

once you’ve drawn the bones,. You would select the Bones list, and the Model you want to attach the bones to, then go to the Animation menu, and select “Attach skeleton”. then , with the bones and figure still selected, go to Animation / Create Animated group.

then you can drag that figure group and save it into your browser.

To edit a model’s shape which is rigged with bones,... you need to detach the bones from the model, then attach them again when you’re done editing.  you’ll probably also need to adjust any weight mapping you’ve painted.

For parenting,.. you would drag an object in the instance list, and drop it onto the object (in the list) you want to parent it to.

smile

Posted: 21 October 2012 02:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 243 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1007
Joined  2007-04-08

For parenting… I don’t advise it.  Use a condom!

Signature 

You’re never too old for metaballs!  ~Michael Frank

Posted: 21 October 2012 06:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 244 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  603
Joined  2011-01-13

LOL @Barry

Andy, I was using one of the Weapons od Lua. I wanted to enlarge one end while leaving the handle the same size. But after seeing what it looks like without the shark teeth, it ain’t what I was looking for.

Signature 

An expert is just an experienced novice.

Posted: 22 October 2012 02:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 245 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-04-08
LightofHeaven - 21 October 2012 06:19 PM

LOL @Barry

Andy, I was using one of the Weapons od Lua. I wanted to enlarge one end while leaving the handle the same size. But after seeing what it looks like without the shark teeth, it ain’t what I was looking for.

Is that one on the top left MEANT to look like a hairbrush?

Signature 

Posted: 22 October 2012 02:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 246 ]
RankRank
Joined  2011-01-13

Look your best and foes will fall at your feet. :D

Signature 

Posted: 22 October 2012 02:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 247 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-04-08
LightofHeaven - 22 October 2012 02:52 AM

Look your best and foes will fall at your feet. :D

If I look my best it’s still not all that good!

Signature 

Posted: 25 October 2012 03:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 248 ]
RankRank
Joined  2011-01-13

How’s everybody?

Signature 

Posted: 25 October 2012 05:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 249 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2004-08-24

Hi LOH smile

Right now I’m loaded with a cold,..

Blum wrote :

30 years too late for me .. smile

Posted: 25 October 2012 05:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 250 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15110
Joined  2003-10-09
3DAGE - 25 October 2012 05:06 AM

Hi LOH smile

Right now I’m loaded with a cold,..

Blum wrote :

30 years too late for me .. smile

lol, the number of times I told my sons that, even had my eldest tell his brother, but I still ended up with 8 grandchildren despite having only the 2 sons myself.

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        E Summer Bryce Rendering Challenge        July Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 25 October 2012 08:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 251 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-07-31

I’m still trying to straighten out my C8s since finally getting a serial number.  I think I have C8Pro working, but the beta has stopped working.

Signature 

AtticAnne in Austin TX

FREE GANGSTER RPG GAME

Posted: 25 October 2012 09:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 252 ]
RankRank
Joined  2011-01-13

I confess that I’ve been doing my dagger modeling in Wings, which doesnt use symmetry. So I cut off one of the guards and flipped it to the other side. But it won’t weld because (I think) it’s not aligned right. I’ve exported it to Carrara to try and line it up to weld. Is there a way to snap vertexes together or something?

Image Attachments
snip2.JPG
 Signature 

Posted: 25 October 2012 09:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 253 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-07-31

Good Lord, Jacob, I have no idea.  I’m sure someone who does know will be along shortly.

Signature 

AtticAnne in Austin TX

FREE GANGSTER RPG GAME

Posted: 26 October 2012 04:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 254 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  13390
Joined  2003-10-09

One thing to try would be to move the two halves apart and then Bridge to joint them, assuming Wings or Carrara has a .bridge function.

Signature 

DAZ Studio Frequently Asked Questions

Index of free DAZ Studio scripts and plugins list

Posted: 26 October 2012 05:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 255 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2004-08-24

Hi Jacob smile

As Richard suggested, you can select each edge and then use the Bridge tool, (if you have Carrara Pro)

If the problem is that the edges are at an angle which doesn’t fit when you bring them together,. you could select each edge, then use the scale tool to flatten them to straight. then bring them together and weld

The Weld panel, also gives you options to weld (selected) or weld within a range (distance)

There’s also a Weld “tool”  in Carrara, which you can use to select the individual vertices you want to weld.

smile

Image Attachments
weld_tool.jpg

17 of 25