Digital Art Zone

3 of 10
DAZ Studio 4.5 - Fix Duplicate IDs script
Posted: 30 August 2012 01:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  13422
Joined  2003-10-09

Yes, run it by using File>Merge, or make it into a Custom action so you can add it to a menu (if you find the script in the Content pane, right click on it and select create Custom Action it will be added to the Scripts menu, which will be created if it doesn’t exist; I used Window>Workspace>Customise to put it on the Content Library option menu instead).

Signature 

DAZ Studio Frequently Asked Questions

Index of free DAZ Studio scripts and plugins list

Posted: 30 August 2012 01:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  916
Joined  2005-03-26

I found that upgrading from 4.0 to 4.5 made me lose all my Genesis Base files.  I went into the Data directory and they were, in fact, gone (I had not DL’d the “Genesis Essentials” file successfully).  Uninstall both.  Reinstall 4.0.  ZIP my Genesis Base directory.  Reinstall 4.5 (and eliminate the old Genesis Base content).  UnZip my backup to the original location.

Should not HAVE to do any of the above.  Meh!

Signature 

My dA gallery
For God’s sake!  Gallifrey Stands!

And God still reigns.

Posted: 30 August 2012 03:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

Genesis and many of the other content files have been updated, you want the Essentials content rather than the old DS4 content. We may hope that the fact that the content has been split in two is a sign that it is expected to be reasonably stable (and so not need redownloading) from now on.

Signature 

Posted: 02 September 2012 06:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2012-04-20

So what do I do now?

Image Attachments
duplicate_ID_Issue.png

Posted: 02 September 2012 08:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

It shouldn’t be touching the UV maps, it should be looking only for the item .dsf file (which would be in \data\SickleYield\SYFantasticHorns\SYSdieHornsRamG). Unfortunately I don’t have that set to look at it.

Signature 

Posted: 07 September 2012 11:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  969
Joined  2012-02-04

What exactly are the ramifications of using an item that has the duplicate ID problem, other than the error dialog that Studio throws up when it is loaded?  They seem to work once loaded…

Signature 

My deviantART Homepage

Posted: 07 September 2012 01:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

Yes, DS seems to survive OK - it’s mainly an annoyance, but at the same time I would feel personally happier knowing that there wasn’t a potential issue that might turn round to bite me at some later stage.

Signature 

Posted: 07 September 2012 01:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  969
Joined  2012-02-04

Agreed, but I’d also rather wait and get ‘official’ fixed versions from DAZ, and not everything has been updated yet.  So am curious how badly I might be screwing myself if I use something that hasn’t been officially patched yet.

Signature 

My deviantART Homepage

Posted: 07 September 2012 11:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4652
Joined  2008-03-06

Thank you very much for this script!  It’s a lifesaver.

I fixed Saito’s error above by running the script in 4 rather than 4.5.  It did not throw the error and worked fine.

This looks like another reason why keeping 4 around at least at first is very mandatory for a content creator.  Glad I have more than one machine.

Signature 

My store at DAZ.

My Deviantart gallery.

Posted: 08 September 2012 03:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2261
Joined  2007-12-07
cwichura - 07 September 2012 11:17 AM

What exactly are the ramifications of using an item that has the duplicate ID problem, other than the error dialog that Studio throws up when it is loaded?  They seem to work once loaded…

I’ve asked this a few times and never seen an answer as, like you, I had not seen an issue.  Well, now I have ... it seems to screw up (at the least) posing (a ‘feature’ that survives the removal of the ‘offending’ item and seems to be saved with the scene).  I had a scene with Genesis with DzFire’s M4Cyborg fitted to it (using Morph Transfer) and had spun a few Shaping dials.  I then loaded a katana for him to hold and got the duplicxate id error.  The various dials to move fingers would then not work.  I eventually managed to get it to work by starting the scene from scratch after running the script on the katana.

Signature 

Some writings by a friend:
http://www.lizardsofthehost.co.uk/11.html
http://www.lizardsofthehost.co.uk/13.html
http://www.lizardsofthehost.co.uk/7.html

Posted: 08 September 2012 09:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2007-08-17
Richard Haseltine - 28 June 2012 07:56 AM

Download the script and place it somewhere on your hard drive, such as My Library\Scripts.

sweet thanks richard this could come in handy alot

Posted: 08 September 2012 09:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4652
Joined  2008-03-06

And update, apparently the error message is caused by attempting to use the script on the .dsf in the data folder instead of the main People folder.  So there’s no real difference in functionality in DS4 and DS4.5.  Whew!

Signature 

My store at DAZ.

My Deviantart gallery.

Posted: 08 September 2012 09:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2007-08-17

that’s always good to know sickle thanks

Posted: 12 September 2012 03:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2007-08-14

I’ve just been working through the duplicate id error message, but I just recently had my entire program crash when I tried to load a saved file.  I haven’t put up a bug log, since I’m still trying to make it happen again.

I want to give this a try, but I am on a Mac and I have never used a script before.  Any idea on how I would use this?

Posted: 13 September 2012 05:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

The method I gave at the top of the page, for adding it to the Scripts menu, will work on a Mac too. There’s no partcular trick to using scripts - in fact several of the built-in commands, such as Symmetry and drop to floor, are scripts as are the older preset files.

Signature 

3 of 10