Digital Art Zone

2 of 2
Flat brick?  No thank you.
Posted: 09 September 2012 09:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2322
Joined  2011-11-16

I do definitely appreciate the corrections though, mistaken information should never be left uncorrected, or clarified if it could be said better smile

Signature 

Just because I may have a strong opinion doesn’t make it any more (or less) correct than any other, just that I feel passionately a particular way at that moment.

Posted: 09 September 2012 08:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  886
Joined  2012-02-04

Interesting follow up!

I did a little extra reading.
I see now what you mean, I think.
They greyscale/bump/displacement is a nice, quick, easy fix.  But ideally a higher contrast between the black and and white will give better results.  I will keep that in mind the next project which is coming up soon.

Thanks all, again.
My questions always find an answer here.
It’s wonderful.

Posted: 11 September 2012 03:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  214
Joined  2006-09-05

If a texture does not have a bump/displace map, how to create it, please?

Signature 

http://mcmxc2.deviantart.com

Posted: 11 September 2012 03:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  14637
Joined  2009-01-22

You have a really good 2d Art program and plenty of time? To make a good one takes lots of time. But a quick easy fix is just a few clicks if it will not be a close up shot.

Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club My stuff at DeviantArt

Posted: 11 September 2012 03:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2322
Joined  2011-11-16
MCMXC - 11 September 2012 03:46 PM

If a texture does not have a bump/displace map, how to create it, please?

There are multiple ways, and this is an advanced topic (how to create.) It isn’t something someone can answer in a quick post, although people might chime in to get you pointed in the right direction on things to try.

Signature 

Just because I may have a strong opinion doesn’t make it any more (or less) correct than any other, just that I feel passionately a particular way at that moment.

Posted: 11 September 2012 04:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  14130
Joined  2003-10-09

The cheats way, that so many people use, is to desaturate the texture map.

This doesn’t really work, not even for Bump maps, if you want them to be good, and actually do something.

A quick way of demonstrating this is to use a paint prgram, and fill a shape with Pure red, and then overlay a pattern in pure green.  then desaturate it.

A good bump map will take as long to make as the texture itself.

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        Spring Bryce Rendering Challenge        April Freebie Challenge
My DAZ Gallery    11915

Posted: 11 September 2012 04:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-09-05

I see, thanks!

Signature 

Posted: 11 September 2012 04:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  14637
Joined  2009-01-22

You can still try the Quick cheat and see if it will work for your render.

Find the original texture for the item. Runtime> Textures> Item name, sometimes artist name. Load it into your Art Program
Convert to Grey Scale image at the highest setting. Now look at your color palette for the item. If it starts with Black and runs to White you should Invert the image. Now save this file as Such&Such;-Bmp.jpg. Go into DAZ and load that file as the Bump map or Displacement map and test it with some High settings. If you get all kinds of texture you do not need go back to the art program and fill all the extra texture areas with the CENTER grey color. Dead center grey is FLAT in DS Bump and Displacement maps.

EDIT: You can also select Areas and Lighten them or darken them as needed.

Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club My stuff at DeviantArt

Posted: 11 September 2012 04:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  14130
Joined  2003-10-09

I didn’t mean to be dismissive, but It does honestly take me as long to do a bump map as it does to do a texture map.

I work in layers when I am making my textures (bearing in mind I make clothing textures mostly)  I will maybe have 6 layers with elements of the pattern on them, and 6 more layers with the same elements, but manipulated to provide the bump. Displacement can be a different map to the bump map. I do sometimes use both, so the displacement will provide some elements of the style, and the bump other elements, so if for instance I want to put folds in, they will be on the displ map, but something like embroidery will have a bump map.

It really is difficult to decribe without makingo an actual illustrated tutorial, and I am having problems finding time at the mo to make a tutorial. I have promised to do some more tuts, and will get round to them (hopefully).

The one tut that is on my site does give some pointers, but is clothing Click the link to CHohole’s Space in my sig bar if you are inteersted, tut is on the index page, so click on enter and scroll down.

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        Spring Bryce Rendering Challenge        April Freebie Challenge
My DAZ Gallery    11915

Posted: 12 September 2012 12:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-09-05

I’ll try it, thanks!:)

Signature 

Posted: 12 September 2012 01:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4545
Joined  2007-09-13

For brick, stone, boards, etc…a desaturated texture map (often inverted) is usually good enough.  You aren’t going for high detail and don’t usually need all the fine detail a custom built (cho’s method)  map is going to give you.

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Just because something costs a lot, doesn’t mean it’s the best…

It just means it’s expensive.

2 of 2