Digital Art Zone

1 of 5
What is legal when dealing with Genesis mesh?
Posted: 08 September 2012 03:57 PM   [ Ignore ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1159
Joined  2005-07-29

If I take the Genesis mesh to ZBrush and make a shirt based upon the Genesis figure by cutting and warping the mesh… is it legal to redistribute for use as clothing for Genesis?

Are there any legal to redistribute meshes out there that can serve as a basis for new Genesis clothing to be sold?

Thank you for your response and feedback?

Signature 

<End of transmission from Oz>
TUTORIAL - Creating a Genesis/G2F/G2M Full Body Morph for DAZ Studio Pro 4.6 by RKane_1
TUTORIAL - Creating a Genesis Partial Body Morph in DAZ Studio Pro 4 Using the DForm Tool by RKane_1
TUTORIAL - Applying Shaders by RKane_1 (as stolen blatantly from Jaderail)

Posted: 08 September 2012 08:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1202
Joined  2004-06-13

No it is not legal, nor is it legal to use retopology or shrinkwrap tools.  These are all considered derivatives of the original mesh which is copyrighted by DAZ.

Signature 

Push buttons, see what happens!

Posted: 08 September 2012 08:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-07-29

I understand the retop thing but isn’t shrinkwrap taking a different mesh and asking to collapse and conform to another item?

Wouldn’t that still be an original mesh?

Signature 

TUTORIAL - Creating a Genesis/G2F/G2M Full Body Morph for DAZ Studio Pro 4.6 by RKane_1
TUTORIAL - Creating a Genesis Partial Body Morph in DAZ Studio Pro 4 Using the DForm Tool by RKane_1

Posted: 08 September 2012 10:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-07-29

Are there any good tutorials out there?

If I take the Genesis mesh to ZBrush and make a shirt based upon the Genesis figure by cutting and warping the mesh… is it legal to redistribute for use as clothing for Genesis?

Are there any legal to redistribute meshes out there that can serve as a basis for new Genesis clothing to be sold?

I was informed by someone (and I want to confirm) that it is illegal and that you cannot use retopology to change the mesh NOR can you use Shrink wrap technology. Now, I understand the retop thing but isn’t shrinkwrap taking a different mesh and asking to collapse and conform to another item? Wouldn’t that still be an original mesh?

And what if I were to import the mesh into ZBrush, trace it out in Shadowbox, and then smooth and adjust where needed?

Is THAT legal? I just want to make clothes and have ZBrush and want to know the best and LEGAL way to do it.

Signature 

Posted: 08 September 2012 11:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2880
Joined  2004-04-14

You may want to contact DAZ directly and state clearly the method you plan to use and why and they will be able to tell you if it violates the EULA in any way.

Signature 

My DAZ3D Store
My Free Stuff
My Art @ DeviantART
Ships of the Line - MEGA THREAD
How to use the Poser Format Exporter - **Updated 2013-02-09**

Posted: 08 September 2012 11:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-07-29

Do you know if they have allowed others to do it (with their previous permission, of course) if the project was worthwhile?

Signature 

Posted: 09 September 2012 12:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5085
Joined  2012-04-07
RKane_1 - 08 September 2012 10:56 PM

Nope.

ONLY if you made the mesh yourself ... or if it was a ‘starter’ that came with instructions saying you may [some have conditions, always read the fine print; when in doubt, don’t]

I was informed by someone (and I want to confirm) that it is illegal and that you cannot use retopology to change the mesh NOR can you use Shrink wrap technology. Now, I understand the retop thing but isn’t shrinkwrap taking a different mesh and asking to collapse and conform to another item? Wouldn’t that still be an original mesh?

Shrinkwrap is a no-no.

And what if I were to import the mesh into ZBrush, trace it out in Shadowbox, and then smooth and adjust where needed?

Is THAT legal? I just want to make clothes and have ZBrush and want to know the best and LEGAL way to do it.

How you make the clothing ‘for yourself only’ is one matter. You can use shrinkwrap, etc for yourself ONLY.

For distributing mesh [free or sale] ... it’s best to simply make your own. There are some decent starter suits available for free and/or purchase ... but as you learn how to model you’ll probably find yourself making your own ‘base model’ so while it’ll take awhile the first time ‘round the block; future projects will have a head start.

You’re welcome. [disclaimer, this is not legal advice, I’m not a lawyer ... basically this information is available somewhere on the end user agreement pages if/when one can find them]

Signature 

Posted: 09 September 2012 01:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-07-29

If shrinkwrap is illegal, out of curiousity, how do they know?

Don’t want to anger the DAZ Gods, here, but I am curious how they go about determining how a mesh that has completely different topology is a shrinkwrap. Is it if it is TOO close then they will bring issue with it or ...

I guess if you model some CLOSE to the Genesis figure, smoothing and collision will take care of most of it any way even on tight stuff.

I think using the shadowbox might be the best way to get CLOSE to the figure without shrinkwrapping.

Is anyone here familiar with shadowbox in ZBrush who can advise me on that?

Signature 

Posted: 09 September 2012 01:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  544
Joined  2005-01-19
RKane_1 - 08 September 2012 10:56 PM

Joequick has a basics mesh in Rendo for genesis clothes creation. I suposse it is highly probable that he used Zbrush to create it., but my suposition can be wrong.

PD: Confirmed, Zbrush.

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/genesis-merchant-resource-skirt-and-body-suit-meshes/87228

Signature 

Playing with shaders

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/20283/

Posted: 09 September 2012 01:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-04-07

This is one of the ‘merchant resources’ for Genesis.

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/genesis-merchant-resource-skirt-and-body-suit-meshes/87228

xpost! okay ... it’s a great set!

And another great present is this item which includes a tutorial.
http://www.sharecg.com/v/55529/gallery/21/DAZ-Studio/Dress-Genesis

Signature 

Posted: 09 September 2012 01:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  544
Joined  2005-01-19

Fugazi’s video tutorial for start from blank.

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/the-digital-tailor-bodysuit-edition/87695.

10$ or 20$ and bye! bye! illegality problem

PD: shoes too
http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/the-digital-cobbler-starter-kit/87557

Signature 

Playing with shaders

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/20283/

Posted: 09 September 2012 01:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4785
Joined  2011-10-04

FYI, Rendo has a nice set of conforming “bodysuit” resource kits (men, women, kids) for Genesis, reasonably low cost. There’s a free Genesis dress base in ShareCG. Both allow, IIRC, both commercial and freebie items (but obviously no resource kits derived out of ‘em) if you modify them to your vision.

Edit: Oh jeeze, lightning-fast people and slowpoke me. LOL

Signature 

Remembering Jaderail. Rest, my friend.
My DeviantArt page.
My DAZ Studio 4 freebies.
My ramblings/blog

Posted: 09 September 2012 01:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  152
Joined  2007-08-25

Also, you don’t really need a Genesis quicksuit to get started- Since the quick suits aren’t rigged, you can import a V4, M4, or whatever quicksuit, scale it a bit if needed or use the transfer utility.
Here’s a thread that was unfortunately closed/cancled, but has links to some quicksuits for use and tutorials for making clothing:
http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/2174/
I didn’t see Morphography’s quicksuits listed there, but the have free V4/M4 quicksuits and dresses that can be converted over:
http://www.morphography.uk.vu/dlquicksuits.html
Axe Swipes suits at Share CG are good for a base, too. I /think/ those are listed in the thread I linked.

Signature 

————-
2012: The world ended. We missed it. Maybe next time.
DVL_LVD @ ShareCG

Posted: 09 September 2012 02:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-04-07
Ebahr - 09 September 2012 01:54 AM

Here’s a thread that was unfortunately closed/cancled, but has links to some quicksuits for use and tutorials for making clothing:
http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/2174/
I didn’t see Morphography’s quicksuits listed there, but the have free V4/M4 quicksuits and dresses that can be converted over:
http://www.morphography.uk.vu/dlquicksuits.html

oopsie .... there now! thanks grin

Yes I called it closed but it’s not locked so I can reopen it if/when that’s a good idea. It was started back in the days when posts weren’t bumping; and then when they were it like many others were being rather forgotten as more pressing matters loomed.

Signature 

Posted: 09 September 2012 02:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3430
Joined  2009-08-05

You can use this method in Zbrush, Retopology. It is perfectly legal. You are basically tracing over the base mesh but not using any part of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYT14cXhtQo&feature=related

Signature 

My Daz Store
My Rendo Store

Posted: 09 September 2012 04:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6682
Joined  2005-08-15
Zev0 - 09 September 2012 02:54 AM

You can use this method in Zbrush, Retopology. It is perfectly legal. You are basically tracing over the base mesh but not using any part of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYT14cXhtQo&feature=related

As far as i know, this is definitely NOT legal.  If you are using someone else’s copyrighted mesh, you are copying the shape of it exactly using retopo, and that is not allowed either.  If you have created a mesh yourself, you can retopo it to your heart’s content, but not one that belongs to someone else.

If it was allowed, we would all be using Gen 4 and Genesis meshes in ZBrush or 3D Coat to create bodysuits.  If it is for your own use in a render, then it is probably all right, but otherwise it would be a big no no.

1 of 5