Digital Art Zone

4 of 5
good old times
Posted: 10 September 2012 01:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  54
Joined  2004-05-24

My first computer was a Tandy Coco 2. I loved that old computer so much, that I eventually came up with the “tan” character for it, “Coco” a Brazilian girl wearing a tacky(or rather trashy) looking outfit sporting the TRS-80 colors and logo.
It had a tape deck, because the disk drive addon was too expensive, and aside from the games I made in basic, my first computer game was Dungeons of Daggorath.

Posted: 10 September 2012 01:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  77
Joined  2006-12-03

c=64

tons of games (CosmosGames!! 101)

peek n poke to make the screen black and the font white.

ginat external hard drive, tape drive, tv, staying up late copying games line by line from a book to play

ah, those were the good ol days smile

12 years ago, I was living on my own, had a nice crash pad, a 286, a 386, 2 486 and 3 pentiums lying around, a P2 as well… would run fractals on each to watch the differences in speed…

my phone is faster than all of them now smile

how far we have come…

Signature 

old post count, 639

Posted: 10 September 2012 05:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  540
Joined  2010-09-02

Anyone else remember being able to trade in an old computer, for a discount on the new one? (More, later).

My first computer ran TI-Basic. ‘Twas a TI-99/4A... A guy was moving, and figured I’d want this piece of garage junk. (He was right). Now, this could’ve been a pretty nice bit of old equipment if he had bought more than the bare model… But it was long gone from the market (or I would’ve tried to find the Star Trek game). (It never occurred to me to wonder if there was such a thing as a surplus electronics shop nearby).

If it’d only had a manual, I might’ve got into programming… Sadly, TI-Basic didn’t have enough in common with Basic (which I _could_ find a book for). A couple of programs worked, and trial-and-error translated a couple of commands. But without the acoustic coupler, for a cassette recorder, or an external 5.25 floppy, there didn’t seem to be much point. (I did eventually use its TV output to title some VHS dubs edits. But, dubbing VHS was such a disappointment… and I found I didn’t care to sit through text titles when I already knew what was on it).

Sometime after, I let a Radio Shack guy (I didn’t know any better) talk me into some old Tandy XT, which ran off the floppy drive, and displayed on a CGA. I think there might’ve been some kind of little apps. But all I remember is learning Dos, because there wasn’t a whole lot else to do, (vs. the added cost of doing them, at least).

Months later, the same guy recognized a sucker, and buttonholed me to buy a newer 286 model - with a hard drive, and VGA, and everything.

“Will you give me a trade in on my old Tandy [whatever-it-was] system?”

You could see it wouldn’t be his first choice, but he really wanted that sale… cool grin

It came with some sort of Tandy answer to Windows. You could sit up in the GUI and launch one little app at a time. There was even a Paint. And Dos had added new commands!

Well, then I started reading computer rags, and bought my 386 at a computer shop. For some reason, another customer wanted a new-ish Tandy, and mine would fit the bill. So there was another piece of trade-in action. (Too bad they didn’t want the dot-matrix printer. I really should recycle that thing, unless there’s some collector market…).

Went into the Radio Shack, and there’s that sales guy again. I got to break the news that I’d bought a computer which didn’t need $$$ Tandy parts. cool smirk

Later on, that shop offered another trade in deal, towards getting a faster 386 with better upgradability. But then they started doing sales, setup, and repair to local businesses, and I became a low-priority customer. So I got a book, and started doing my own working in the guts, instead of waiting around for them to finish their meeting, and give me back my freakin’ computer that’d been there for 3 days. Got that sucker up to 8 Megabytes of ram. Dual floppies. Finally got a computer game - Wolfenstein, with it’s impossible realtime 3D!

Next computer, I carefully selected the parts for a Gateway (I didn’t know any better). But it came with cheapier substitutes. I called them, and got a rep whose bored, sarcastic, what-else-is-new voice let me know I was a fool. They made some empty promise to file a ticket. Later on, the computer rags let me know that it was SOP for most mail-order builders to do that, every month, and every system, leaning way too hard on the fine-print excuse of “if a component isn’t available, a substitute…”. But Windows 3.11 was kinda ok, and at some point, there were semi-affordable Windows art/photo proggies which didn’t need a special driver to be written for each video card. And a 486 with some decent ram, could actually sortof run them. On the other hand, using them without an expensive, and ultimately-teensy graphics tablet was pretty much futile…

But its nice comm software, and a free local computer newspaper got me to belatedly explore BBS’s. My favorite was one run by a couple of brothers.  When the younger hit 18, he shut it down and went to work for a small ISP. Told us the BBS scene was undergoing mass apoptosis because of this Internet thing that some members had been getting, and babbling about for the past few months… And yes, that would pretty much mean Windows95 on a newer computer… Windows 95 was a pleasant surprise, though. And 98b was so much better, until updates made networking buggy. And ME was so gawdawful. And XP was nice, and…

So… 256 bytes RAM; 16? kiloBytes; 64? kB;2? MB; 4 MB, 8 MB; 8? MB…

Signature 

Windows:          DAZ History Manager         Daz Wishlist Manager         3D Content Downloader

Firefox Fixes for the Old Forum:      Bookmarks       Images

Fun With Bundles Thread 2

Posted: 10 September 2012 10:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1581
Joined  2009-08-08

The Graphics Section’s Mac came with system 6.0.5. Like I say, we got into the electronics age late. But 6.0.5 was early enough that it didn’t properly run in multifinder (and with only something like 8MB of RAM it didn’t really have the power to run in multifinder). So that meant only one application would run at a time. And the Finder (i.e., the desktop) is an application. So is the print queue.

System 7 came out within a few months, and that was a rocky transition. Seven was as much of a game changer as OS X, and close to as big a pain in the arse as Lion. But it ran in multifinder by default, and that was worth it.

I missed the early days where the computer had no internal hard drive, and you had your OS on one floppy and your Applications on another—and had to save your work onto a third. Computers handled their tiny little stores of memory much better in those days. They had to, or there would have been no point in bothering with them.

Posted: 10 September 2012 11:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  190
Joined  2007-03-19

10 GOTO 20
20 Print “hello my name is _____”, then GOTO 30
30 GOTO 10

Had an ex that kept telling me I knew nothing about computers… did this simple little program on her comp in dos prompt, then sat back and watched her panic because I had, as she put, it “virused the computer”... I kept telling her to “hit the run break key”... she had no clue what it was… (Esc) lmao…

*Edit* When she pulled out the discs to format her machine I calmly walked over and hit escape and shut the dos prompt down… it got the point across… lol

Signature 

Schell’s Armour Works… Home of “Theschell’s” Fantasy, Sci-fi and Historical models for Daz and Poser. Come check out my Website and Store at http://www.schells.ca ... Hope to see you soon!
Old Posts Count: 672

Conforming Figures Tutorial at http://www.schells.ca/ConformingItemswithDaz.pdf

“The only good place for a troll is under the bridge where he belongs!”

Posted: 10 September 2012 03:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  497
Joined  2010-12-13

Mac users will still look at me like I’m from some other planet when I bring up a command shell on their Mac and do something like:

$ tar cf - . | ( cd somewhereElse ; tar xf - )

This of course is the standard Unix method of recursively copying an entire folder to somewhere else. It used to be the only safe way to do it on Mac before they added folder merging…
smile

Signature 

Daz Gallery
DA Gallery
Old post count 1725 (seems lame compared to some)

Posted: 10 September 2012 03:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  551
Joined  2009-02-04

Wow Im a late bloomer,
My first ever - ‘sort of’ computer was Sega Megadrive (or Genesis) in 1992
My first real computer was an Amd K6-2 500 Mhz, 128mb Ram, 13Gb HDD, and a voodo 3 - 3000 (16mb) running Win 98…...and that was in 1999.
I nearly went for a mac- until i realised that under its shiny casing and rather solid OS 9…. it had no bloody decent games to speak of, and that all the other software I wanted was on Windows anyway. When ever my mate bragged about his mac, i cut him down very quickly by reminding him that he was round my house almost every other day to play Red Alert 2 on the PC.

I guess Computers only began to intreast me when they became a bit more capable in the visuals department.
I remember experiencing computers in the 80’s as a kid and thinking - cool, but rather limited, over complicated and too expensive for my parents modest income anyway.

Signature 

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/dogz

Posted: 10 September 2012 03:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1846
Joined  2006-02-17
Slimer_J_Spud - 10 September 2012 03:01 PM

Mac users will still look at me like I’m from some other planet when I bring up a command shell on their Mac and do something like:

This of course is the standard Unix method of recursively copying an entire folder to somewhere else. It used to be the only safe way to do it on Mac before they added folder merging…
smile

Ummm.  This is not standard Unix, this is a Mac workaround.  There is WAAAYYY too much overhead in that command.  Standard Unix would use “cp -rp”, “cpio”, or “find” for local recursive copying (depending on your “Unix”, Posix is “cp -rp”).  The use of “tar” for copying files was really only useful for network links (i.e. internet, modem) where moving multiple files was impractical.  So, in those cases, one would use “tar -czf - . | rcp - user@destination:” and then one would untar at the remote end.

That’s not to say that the above wouldn’t work, but that method isn’t really mainstream.

Kendall

Signature 

Any opinions expressed in this post are those of Kendall Sears and may, or may not, be more, or less, valid than any other opinion.

The contents of this post are intended for the DAZ forum only, do not re-post any portion to any other forum without his permission.

Posted: 10 September 2012 03:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 54 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1581
Joined  2009-08-08

smile

When did they add folder merging. Is that something that they added to Lion?

Posted: 10 September 2012 03:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 55 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  151
Joined  2005-04-06

Pin fed printers were tons of fun to unjam…. NOT!  smile

Signature 

Former Post count 2152.  Somehow adding this makes it hurt a bit less. 

Posted: 10 September 2012 03:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 56 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  497
Joined  2010-12-13
JOdel - 10 September 2012 03:32 PM

smile

Yes. Saved people a lot of grief, I’m sure.

@Kendall, the advantage of the tar command is that it copies the contents EXACTLY as is. The cp -pr approach copies links as their target files, not links. In Unix/Linux, there are a lot of symbolic links lying around. I never use cp -r, hence I call the tar command “standard.” Besides, it’s so cryptic, it looks like black magic to the Great Unwashed. LOL

Signature 

Daz Gallery
DA Gallery
Old post count 1725 (seems lame compared to some)

Posted: 10 September 2012 06:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 57 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1846
Joined  2006-02-17
Slimer_J_Spud - 10 September 2012 03:41 PM
JOdel - 10 September 2012 03:32 PM

smile

Yes. Saved people a lot of grief, I’m sure.

@Kendall, the advantage of the tar command is that it copies the contents EXACTLY as is. The cp -pr approach copies links as their target files, not links. In Unix/Linux, there are a lot of symbolic links lying around. I never use cp -r, hence I call the tar command “standard.” Besides, it’s so cryptic, it looks like black magic to the Great Unwashed. LOL

In which case adding -d to the cp will keep the cp from dereferencing the links, and will preserve the link.  Of course, if using Posix compliant OS, “cp -a” will do everything you want, without the overhead of tar.

Indeed, tar does look cryptic.  grin  BTW, rsync would work better for that, and allow recovery if something interrupts the process.

Kendall

Signature 

Any opinions expressed in this post are those of Kendall Sears and may, or may not, be more, or less, valid than any other opinion.

The contents of this post are intended for the DAZ forum only, do not re-post any portion to any other forum without his permission.

Posted: 10 September 2012 08:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 58 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  76
Joined  2003-10-09

I used to have a friend (no longer with us sadly) who was working on his Master’s at UCBerkeley, back in the day of shoeboxes of programming cards. Russell was religious about keeping those things in order, but one night while we were there, we heard this agonized scream from another room: this girl had dropped all three boxes of hers. Cards everywhere, hundreds, perhaps thousands of them. I dont even want to think what was needed to sort that mess out.

Posted: 10 September 2012 09:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 59 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8520
Joined  2007-11-06

Not to mention the practical jokers who would punch up a comment card and insert it into other people’s stacks of punch cards.

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ

Product Updates: Non-Genesis/G2 DIM Zips starting July 2013
Non-Genesis Items with Metadata
Plugin Version Numbers for DS 4.5
Updated Genesis Products

Posted: 10 September 2012 10:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 60 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1615
Joined  2012-01-04

I am completely amazed how you people can remember the names all of the old computers and the programs that you used. I can hardly remember when I got my first computer, just that it was in the mid to late 80’s. Did I do way to many drugs in the 70’s or what.

I do remember playing Leisure Suit Larry and Wolfenstein 3D when they came out. Of course I can remember playing Pong way before that.

What was the question?

Signature 

Old Post Count: Maybe 3 or 4.
O/S: Windows 7x64
D/S: 4.6.0.18

4 of 5