Digital Art Zone

2 of 2
When should I
Posted: 13 September 2012 02:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2011-10-03

Kay, so, good news and bad news!

The good news is that I’ve got the webbing coming along pretty nice. I got it to look more realistic than the screenshots I posted before. Welding’s annoying as crap (I went a bit crazy. There’s about 50,000 verts in the webbing alone. <.<) but it’s coming along.

I decided to take a break and try something else. I made a simple object and tried to geograft it to Genesis. Alas, that’s where the bad news came up..

I’ve grafted the item “just fine”. When Genesis is standing in his default pose everything works pretty much as expected. I then tried to do it while Genesis wasn’t in the T pose since I didn’t model my wings from the default pose. I figured I’d run into problems, but not something this bad.

For the sake of experimentation I’ve moved Genesis’s arms down to his sides and his shoulders froward. I then exported that shape to Hexagon and created a cylinder primitive that sticks out of Genesis’s arm like a T. After welding it to his arm I created a second cylinder primitive and attached that to the first on the other side in the same way.

The reasoning here was to make sure that the tutorial over yonder worked and that when the weight mapping was projected onto the new graft that it’d go on “cleanly”. If the weight mapping was “weird” then I’d see some distortion on the new figure, such as the distortion in the image I’ve attached… x.x

Clearly the weight mapping is wrong. Furthermore, it won’t follow the arm as expected. If I move the arm away, the geometry at the base of my graft just sits there and detaches from the arm.

This worries me for obvious reasons. I’ve spent over ten days working on my wings and I don’t want the same thing to happen to them. How do I go about fixing this distortion? Would this have happened if Genesis was in his default pose, too?

NOTE: I’ve saved the object and pose as .dsf and .dsa in case someone needs these to examine what I’ve done, but I don’t know if these are actually legal to distribute so I’d rather have someone like Richard check them out first and make sure I created them correctly. So, Richard, if you’re still around, could you point me at an article about how to go about making new content properly or should I just upload them somewhere private and PM you the link?

EDIT: Crap. Murphy’s law hit me real hard. Not even two hours after I finish this post I get an idea on how to make my wings almost perfect. Of course it worked. Please, please, PLEASE, tell me there’s a “reverse deformations” option for geografting like there is for morphs! x.x! (Attached is my wing. <.<)

Image Attachments
ArmAttach.pngwingding2.png

Posted: 13 September 2012 08:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  14291
Joined  2003-10-09

I’m not sure I understand from those images. The geometry does have to line up with the zeroed figure to be a conformer of any kind, not just for geografting. In order for it to attach the vertices around the edge of the graft must match vertices on the figure to be grafted to. And if something projects a long way from the figure you can expect to edit the weights at least, and possibly to add extra bones too.

Signature 

DAZ Studio Frequently Asked Questions

Index of free DAZ Studio scripts and plugins list

Posted: 13 September 2012 08:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2011-10-03

The geometry does still match—I posed Genesis, then modeled off of the pose, and tried to bring the new object onto Genesis while still holding the same pose. The verts line up and all, but the weight mapping is all weird now.

If there were anything similar to “reverse deformations” for morphs except for new objects, that’s what I’d need to use.

2 of 2