Digital Art Zone

9 of 9
DazPeople would like to see tutorials at dazshop - teach people 3d character creation! (call to al CONTENT CREATORS)
Posted: 23 November 2012 01:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 121 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1715
Joined  2012-04-14

New tutorial in the store
The Basics of Lighting by blondie9999
http://www.daz3d.com/shop/new-releases/the-basics-of-lighting

Posted: 01 January 2013 01:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 122 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1271
Joined  0

Thanks for posting links to all this info.  I would like to learn how to make my own characters props etc and am open to any help anytime smile

Posted: 15 June 2014 06:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 123 ]
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2013-08-22
FSMCDesigns - 05 September 2012 06:35 PM

While I see your points and agree this would be a great thing for customers and aspiring creators, look at the other side. If a vendor relies on creating DS/Poser to make a living, the last thing they would probably want is to share their workflow and secrets because it would hurt their income. This market is really small and the last thing needed for a vendor is any competition.

If anything, DAZ should be the ones to publish any tutorials since more vendors is a win/win for them.

The last thing needed for a vendor is any competition? Maybe this is the reason their market share is way too small. Knowing how to do something does not mean: a) you want to do it and/or b) what you do has enough quality as to be marketed.

Using Maya or even Cinema 4D, I can create a human figure, rig it and animate it in less than an hour, and I suppose that if I were willing to spend a few days refining the mesh, I could create something beautiful that could be sold elsewhere. Yet, even if I know how to make a complete a character, I still buy them from specialized vendors and the reason is simple: time is money. Let’s say that I’ve found how valuable is my time and I also happen to know how much time would it take me to do something; hence, it is easy for me to see when something is valued way below or above its price. This, in case you didn’t know, is called “consumer awareness”.

I, for one, would like to know how to set up my characters so I can use DAZ clothes and props. So, I do think we need more tutorials and yes, many more content providers, as I’m kind of tired of seeing the same unrealistic hair styles, clothes and shoes… Just once, I would like to find a complete set of clothing that doesn’t look trashy.

Posted: 15 June 2014 07:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 124 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4647
Joined  2008-03-06
cesar_monroy - 15 June 2014 06:05 PM
FSMCDesigns - 05 September 2012 06:35 PM

While I see your points and agree this would be a great thing for customers and aspiring creators, look at the other side. If a vendor relies on creating DS/Poser to make a living, the last thing they would probably want is to share their workflow and secrets because it would hurt their income. This market is really small and the last thing needed for a vendor is any competition.

If anything, DAZ should be the ones to publish any tutorials since more vendors is a win/win for them.

The last thing needed for a vendor is any competition? Maybe this is the reason their market share is way too small. Knowing how to do something does not mean: a) you want to do it and/or b) what you do has enough quality as to be marketed.

Using Maya or even Cinema 4D, I can create a human figure, rig it and animate it in less than an hour, and I suppose that if I were willing to spend a few days refining the mesh, I could create something beautiful that could be sold elsewhere. Yet, even if I know how to make a complete a character, I still buy them from specialized vendors and the reason is simple: time is money. Let’s say that I’ve found how valuable is my time and I also happen to know how much time would it take me to do something; hence, it is easy for me to see when something is valued way below or above its price. This, in case you didn’t know, is called “consumer awareness”.

I, for one, would like to know how to set up my characters so I can use DAZ clothes and props. So, I do think we need more tutorials and yes, many more content providers, as I’m kind of tired of seeing the same unrealistic hair styles, clothes and shoes… Just once, I would like to find a complete set of clothing that doesn’t look trashy.

Having more vendors won’t change the factors that result in those items predominating.  It’s been explained and argued to death, so I’m not going into it again.  What I wanted to say was:

I’m never averse to sharing information, and in fact do so a great deal on my deviantart.  Sometimes people contact me via PM with questions, and I happily answer those, too.  I am not the only PA of whom this is true.  And there are paid tutorials as well.

It’s not a question of “can an aspiring creator find the information?”  It’s a question of “are they willing to put in the effort, and can they afford the startup time to producing quality content?” 

The second and third points are what keep people out of doing this for a living, not the first one.  it can be challenging and tedious.  Some people are already in a full time job to support a family and don’t have the energy to take this on as a second one (very understandable).  Some people are stopped by interfaces or tutorial formats, in which case 3d is not a good career for them in general.  Some people can’t afford the hardware startup cost, which can be high.

Take a look at this thread:

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/42075/

This guy is running into some obstacles, but he isn’t giving up.  I don’t see that kind of attitude very often, which is why you see me continuing to try to help him.  (Also, some of the problems he’s having are down to me not being that great at writing tutorials; you should all be grateful that the people selling commercial ones are much better at it than I am.)

Signature 

My store at DAZ.

My Deviantart gallery.

9 of 9