Longer render times
Posted: 07 September 2012 12:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5713
Joined  2006-02-20
Kyoto Kid - 06 September 2012 08:24 PM
Kerya - 06 September 2012 02:23 AM

And I love, love, love Bryce’s ability to stop and resume renders.

...I liked that feature too.  Yeah I know you can do the same with Reality/Luxrender, but you really need the RAM to support it.  Bryce will still run on my ancient system.

I just wish the Studio3A -> Bryce Bridge was more stable.  Sometimes it works, some times it turns into a heap of smouldering 0’s & 1s.

I don’t like Reality myself ...
Thanks for the “heap of smouldering 0’s & 1s” - interesting image! LOL
Not so funny when it happens, but it is a funny picture.

Signature 

I like Bryce, DazStudio, Poser and Vue ... in alphabetical order. And I would probably like Carrara too, if I could find the time to become acquainted with it. Peace?

Posted: 26 September 2012 05:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  54
Joined  2004-05-24

Someone turned me onto using the standalone version of 3Delight. It’s free, and easy to use.
The difference is very noticeable.

Posted: 26 September 2012 05:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  494
Joined  2010-12-13

OK, back to the original question. Here are a few concrete items I can point to as render time hogs, having been spanked by a few 15 hour render times in DS3.

Hair and feathers with transmaps. Transmaps eat cpus for breakfast. This is especially true in close-up renders.

Raytraced shadows eat up even more cpu. Breakfast and lunch! For some scenes, deep shadow maps are quite sufficient, IMO. Raytraced shadows + transmapped hair = 12+ hours.

Reflections also increase render times. In the scene with the 15 hr render time, I had raytraced shadows, transmapped hair and feathers, AND a champagne glass with reflection and refraction effects. Dialing raytrace bounces up to 6+ makes renders happen in geologic time. This is why a lot of people use reflection maps to fake reflection effects rather than use reflective surfaces and grow old waiting for the render.

My 15 hr render: http://slimerjspud.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d4eap0m Note the refraction effects on the glass and the shadows from the feathers. For an indoor scene, DSM shadows would have done almost as well.

I have run a few Reality renders (remote Luxrender actually), and I won’t go into more details about how that goes as I’m a newbie there. Because everything is so much more “real” in an unbiased render with no phony constructs like distant lights, it naturally takes forever.

Signature 

Daz Gallery
DA Gallery
Old post count 1725 (seems lame compared to some)

2 of 2