Digital Art Zone

1 of 5
What the heck am I supposed to do.
Posted: 03 September 2012 07:03 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  209
Joined  2006-10-13

I know when you are rigging a 3D model that you aren’t supposed to have any bones hanging out of the model. What am I supposed to do when the model is got parts where they can’t help, but hang out. I found that even if 1 bone is hanging out that the damn program will get errors that wont allow me to save, wont allow me to exit, and wont allow me to go anywhere else except stay in the weight paint room and this happened quiet often (I have to exit via task manager most of the time). I had this happen to me within an hours time at least a couple dozen times. Before you move on to 8.5 programming maybe someone should have fixed some of these bugs. Another bug is most of the time I can’t exit carrara. I click the exit button at the top right when I’m done, and the program sets there frozen until I go to the task manager or it crashes, and this happens almost every time I close carrara (I would say 90 percent of the time, and no I’m not exaggerating if anything I’m being nice about the percentage). The exit problem happens on any size scene, and doesn’t matter how many objects are in the scene it could be a cylinder, and would still do it.

Posted: 03 September 2012 07:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-10-13

See it is a skeleton model a low poly one, but still I have holes in him. There is no way around it.

Image Attachments
holes_in_a_skeleton.jpg

Posted: 03 September 2012 07:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-10-13

Here comes the errors.

Image Attachments
an_error.jpgerror_exiting.jpgcantsave.jpgnot_responding.jpg

Posted: 03 September 2012 07:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-10-13

Having fun with the weight paint and now I’m always twitchy. I don’t know when the errors are going to occur so much for weight painting peacefully. Its not just limited to weight painting I can rename something and it will do it sometimes.

Posted: 03 September 2012 07:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-10-13

I just brought carrara back up was able to save once I weight painted and this happened when I went to weight paint again and save.

Image Attachments
as_soon_as.jpg

Posted: 03 September 2012 07:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-10-13

And again. It is a constant thing now

Posted: 03 September 2012 07:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-10-13

I finally slipped a save through.
After that save I try to save again an another error while saving happened.

Posted: 03 September 2012 07:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-10-13

And again.
And again.8:46
Maybe I should start adding the time to this so you know the minutes apart.

Again. 8:48 (rotated the directors camera)
8:50 weight paint
Weight painted just fine save. rotated directors camera save error again. at 8:51
8:53 went to weight paint, but it was just fine the way it is, and I got out of weight paint mode, and saved error happened.

I’m quitting for now.

Posted: 03 September 2012 09:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7647
Joined  2009-07-13

must be another issue, as I rig stuff with bones “hanging out” all the time and fbx export it to use in iClone,
I need a certain number of bones that make up a humanoid figure for retargeting in 3dxchange5 pro for iClone, and on headless, two legged, no armed models I just add extra bones with no weightpainted influence ( remove any), they are just there as dummy bones, so it can be done.
which is why expect it is another issue
are you still using the dodgy laptop that overheats?

Signature 

WARNING do not click tongue rolleye what video horrors will be seen if you do cannot be unseen.
my render thread
        never forget
A Drows Walk
Jaderail is at it again

Posted: 03 September 2012 10:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-10-13

Yeah, but that doesn’t matter other models that are solid with no bones hanging out are working fine. Plus this is my only computer for now, I haven’t got room for any other computer except for a laptop.

Posted: 03 September 2012 11:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  81
Joined  2006-06-18

I’m not sure how your model is structured, but if the skeleton bones are separate objects, then I’d suggest setting them up with that hierarchy, instead of using Carrara bones to animate the skeleton. Then you won’t have to do any weight painting at all. The bone system is designed to animate soft bodies, not hard objects like skeletons and robots.

Posted: 03 September 2012 11:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-10-13

Yeah, but there is fingers involve (lol). I just don’t want to have to set them all up. If I use bone rigging I can have it bend all the fingers with just a couple of bones.

Posted: 03 September 2012 11:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-07-13

yes, with a figure like a skeleton or a robot, you can parent each bone to the matching part of an existing bvh rig for example without attaching (or an invisible Daz figure) just make sure the hotpoint is in the middle

Signature 

WARNING do not click tongue rolleye what video horrors will be seen if you do cannot be unseen.
my render thread
        never forget
A Drows Walk
Jaderail is at it again

Posted: 03 September 2012 11:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-07-13

you can also do attach skeleton seperately for each part
I do this to add clothes.

Signature 

my render thread
        never forget
A Drows Walk
Jaderail is at it again

Posted: 03 September 2012 11:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  81
Joined  2006-06-18

Yeah, it might help there. But in that case you could set up just the hand with Carrara bones, and use the skeletal bones for everything else. Result: less weight painting.

Posted: 03 September 2012 11:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-10-13

I’ll try it later.

What was you saying about clothes is there anyway to rig it up where it seems natural and also is there a way to rig the cloth up with bones after you done got through with rigging the model.  Just wondering also is there a tutorial on cloth rigging. I know how to rig, but I was wondering if there is an in depth tutorial for cloth rigging.
Also I can’t remember, but can you put rotating constraints on stuff like you would rigging bones.
I know this may be stupid, but I don’t want to go through the trouble of setting something, but can there be a way to set bones to react to wind, or other outside sources.
I know I can find out most of the stuff above on my own, but I was hoping ya’ll can save me the frustration.

1 of 5