Digital Art Zone

6 of 8
Poser Newbie Thread
Posted: 14 June 2012 05:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 76 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2030
Joined  2003-10-09

I always recommend that new users avoid buying too much. pick up a few things, enough to morph and texture a figure and maybe make a small scene, work with that as you learn, then little by little add to it. Before you know it you will have an impressive collection of models, props, lights etc

Posted: 14 June 2012 06:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 77 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  496
Joined  2011-04-19

I made some Items to start off with to have to go with the Models, I made a NA V4 Women & M4 Man.
Was getting ready to do Cowboy/girls next, that’s when I ran into clothes for M3 & D3, but did find a few for M4 so back to work on them, I was tring to find something to use my $6.00 coupon on before it runs out at the end of the month, so I started looking for stuff for V4 & M4 but some require another model. lol

I think I got it now, as my teacher for the basic program training always says: Practice-Practice. lol

Thanks again so much I thought I was going crazy not finding the Morphs for the 4"s.
What a relief. smile

Posted: 17 June 2012 01:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 78 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  93
Joined  2011-11-06
Totte - 28 May 2012 01:01 PM
Xfitz - 27 May 2012 06:10 PM

I inadvertently overwrote ALL my PROP FILES that came with Poser 8 yesterday with the prop file of an old content folder I was trying to move into my Poser 8 Runtime Folder.  How can I recover those Prop Files? I am wiling to delete Poser 8 from my hard drive and then install it again since I am just beginning to use Poser I don’t have any new content yet that I will lose by doing this. However, before attempting that solution I thought I’d ask if there is an alternative and also will Poser allow me to reinstall? (I have a Mac OS X.). Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

First I ahev to say that even as I have Poser 2010 I’m not a “Poser user”. But it sounds like you moved something to your Poser xx(Runtime/Libraries/ that was named Props and it was overwritten.

If you have TimeMachine active and backup of that directory you would be able to just restore from a previous timepoint, othewise I know there is a P8 Content Update download, but I think it require the original content to be intact.

I would say Reinstall P8; I dont remember if the installer has a separate installer option for content only.

/ Totte

I did the same thing with some DAZ files on my OSX LION. All you needed to do was move the resulting merged file to your desktop and re-open it in a new finder window.
This done, simply hand sort through the files and be careful about placing them in the correct files.
I have to sort in this manner after installing V4 items and anything off of Rendo.

Posted: 20 June 2012 01:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 79 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  608
Joined  2004-12-14
Alethas Fantasy - 14 June 2012 06:22 PM

I made some Items to start off with to have to go with the Models, I made a NA V4 Women & M4 Man.
Was getting ready to do Cowboy/girls next, that’s when I ran into clothes for M3 & D3, but did find a few for M4 so back to work on them, I was tring to find something to use my $6.00 coupon on before it runs out at the end of the month, so I started looking for stuff for V4 & M4 but some require another model. lol

I think I got it now, as my teacher for the basic program training always says: Practice-Practice. lol

Thanks again so much I thought I was going crazy not finding the Morphs for the 4"s.
What a relief. :)

You can put M3/D3 clothing on a M4 model, so the money spent on the Gen 3 characters isn’t wasted.

Poser has Wardrobe Wizard - it allows you to convert clothing from one figure to another.  You will need to purchase the plug-ins from PhilC over at

www.philc.net

Once they are installed converting clothing from 1 character mesh to another is a breeze.  As an example, my V4 wardrobe (40Gb+) is available for every female character mesh I own - all of the native Poser figures, all of the DAZ figures (except for genesis - I have no need for it.) and every independent figure I own (well, except for Mariko - Phil hasn’t gotten around to making a plug-in for her just yet).

Another very, very useful python program is available over on ‘Rosity called Morphing Clothes.  It will allow you to put character morphs into clothing that doesn’t have them.

Signature 

“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored” - Aldous Huxley

Posted: 28 June 2012 09:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 80 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  108
Joined  2011-02-10

Hello,

I have a question about running 2 versions of Poser, did read something about this on the old forums a while ago but I am unable to find it now, so I was hoping somebody could help smile :

I have Poser 8 installed, all content into the default Poser runtime (won’t do that again… shut eye but that is another story). Can I install Poser 9, while using all the content from Poser 8’s runtime ?

I am mostly unsure about “basics”, V4, morphs ++, elite, and every bits which are supposed to be into the folder where poser.exe is. Would this work ? Or would I have to reinstall all these “basics” into Poser 9 ?

I didn’t really care so far since I was keeping the Poser 9 copy for another PC I’m building, but as this PC won’t be ready before a couple months, I wanted to try the SSS-stuff from Poser 9 on older PC in the meantime.

Cheers,

Navi

Posted: 28 June 2012 10:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 81 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09
navibass - 28 June 2012 09:31 AM

Hello,

I have a question about running 2 versions of Poser, did read something about this on the old forums a while ago but I am unable to find it now, so I was hoping somebody could help smile :

I have Poser 8 installed, all content into the default Poser runtime (won’t do that again… shut eye but that is another story). Can I install Poser 9, while using all the content from Poser 8’s runtime ?

I am mostly unsure about “basics”, V4, morphs ++, elite, and every bits which are supposed to be into the folder where poser.exe is. Would this work ? Or would I have to reinstall all these “basics” into Poser 9 ?

I didn’t really care so far since I was keeping the Poser 9 copy for another PC I’m building, but as this PC won’t be ready before a couple months, I wanted to try the SSS-stuff from Poser 9 on older PC in the meantime.

Cheers,

Navi

When you install Poser 9 you will be able to direct it to your Poser 8 runtime and everything should work just fine. I’m still using the runtime I set up for Poser 7, I have used it for Poser 8, Poser Pro 2010 and for Poser 9

Posted: 28 June 2012 10:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 82 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-02-10
LycanthropeX - 28 June 2012 10:27 AM

When you install Poser 9 you will be able to direct it to your Poser 8 runtime and everything should work just fine. I’m still using the runtime I set up for Poser 7, I have used it for Poser 8, Poser Pro 2010 and for Poser 9

Really ?! That’s great, thank you very much for the help wink .

Posted: 28 June 2012 10:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 83 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

When you open Poser 9, on your library tab there will be a little folder symbol with a running guy and a plus sign, click that to add your old runtime as a library

Posted: 28 June 2012 11:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 84 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-02-10
LycanthropeX - 28 June 2012 10:53 AM

When you open Poser 9, on your library tab there will be a little folder symbol with a running guy and a plus sign, click that to add your old runtime as a library

I know that symbol, but I’ve never ever used it on Poser 7 and 8 - will install Poser 9 tomorrow and try that, thanks again.

I was worried about V4 figures and all Daz things that need initialization, scripts, etc, looks like I was hopefully wrong wink

Btw if that’s that simple, I should have asked before, because that copy of Poser 9 has been sleeping unused for a while lol rolleyes

Posted: 28 June 2012 11:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 85 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

honestly, i don’t remember if V4 needed to be reinitialized or not, I don’t think so, but if she does then its just a one time deal for each program. Pretty sure she doesn’t though because she has been initialized for that runtime and you are just using that runtime for different flavors of Poser.

Posted: 28 June 2012 02:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 86 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-02-10
LycanthropeX - 28 June 2012 11:58 AM

honestly, i don’t remember if V4 needed to be reinitialized or not, I don’t think so, but if she does then its just a one time deal for each program. Pretty sure she doesn’t though because she has been initialized for that runtime and you are just using that runtime for different flavors of Poser.

You are right - Finally installed it today, everything seems to be working fine, except scripts (but I think it’s normal, they probably need to be copied into new runtime).

Thanks again wink

Posted: 28 June 2012 03:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 87 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

some python scripts don’t work in Poser 9, there are updates available for some of them. It has to do with P9 using a slightly different version of Python i think

Posted: 29 June 2012 03:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 88 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-02-10
LycanthropeX - 28 June 2012 03:22 PM

some python scripts don’t work in Poser 9, there are updates available for some of them. It has to do with P9 using a slightly different version of Python i think

Yes I know, I remember receiving emails about some products, about this issue,

Thanks again wink

Posted: 30 June 2012 08:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 89 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

Ok here is a quicky tutorial on the Alternate Specular Node. For those not familiar with Poser’s Material room this is a quick easy little tutorial to adjust how surfaces look in Poser. For this Tutorial I used Poser 9. This will work in other versions of Poser, but results may vary. I noticed a big difference between Poser Pro 2010 and Poser 9. All the images are Dinoraul’s Monolophosaurus. The only setting I will be changing is the Alternate Specular setting for the skin. Below there is a screen cap of the Advanced Material room in Poser 9. On the Poser Surface tab toward the bottom you will see where it says Alternate Specular. Click the little plug thing to create a new node. We want to go to New Node, Lighting, Specular, below that you will see 6 different options. I will be posting examples of what each of these goody names actually does….

Image Attachments
Image_01.jpg
Default.jpg

Posted: 30 June 2012 08:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 90 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

Here are renders showing the different Alternate Specular settings…

Image Attachments
Anisotropic.jpg
Phong.jpg
Glossy.jpg
Blinn.jpg

6 of 8