8 of 8
Poser Newbie Thread
Posted: 09 March 2013 08:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 106 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1332
Joined  2010-03-25
wendy♥catz - 09 March 2013 07:20 PM

posting here so I find this thread again mostly and do not re-ask dumb questions tongue wink
I did have Poser7 for last 3 years so not all dumb tongue rolleye
in fact I am dumber when it comes to studio in many ways
Carrara has been my exclusive software of choice with some iClone dabbling most my 3D life.

two quick dumbass queries though

1) shadows without raytracing at fairly low settings were easy enough in P7 but in my one day old PP2012 had to go higher to get any at all and cannot hide the ground like I can in P7
2) scene tree, I have always used the animation window to find stuff in the scene, I have never found a scene tree in Poser, is there one?

On the first question, I’m sure others will have different experiences But I use HDR or IDL light source spots set at deep shadow map or you can use individual spot light set at Deep shadow maps for faster rendering time .. But ray-trace is always going to give you your best results. Also pp2012 uses Python much better for scripting effects lighting,  I included a picutre of my manual preset i made to make my renders look more softer , I try to keep the bucket setting around 32 for the best shadows, You can start here and play around until you find the settings you like best,

I dunno if this will help you with your next question about the Obj elements manager
What I did because I hate having to click each obj to get to the elements.
I found this tool called eXtended Object Manager that I got at rendo ,But you can get it at smith-micro also, for me it works better than the poser default elements manager. especially if you want to use poser for animation.

Here is the link for it Wendy I hope that helps you.
Renderosity - http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?ViewProduct=88875  price$12,80
Content Paradise - http://www.contentparadise.com/productDetails.aspx?id=11691 - price -$1200

Image Attachments
setting.jpg
 Signature 

My Daz & Poser animations
YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/user/IvySummers1

Posted: 09 March 2013 09:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 107 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7278
Joined  2009-07-13

thx for those settings Ivy
I will try them
I was using just a spot for shadows and an ambient type distant light in P7 with deep shadow map but in PP12 it did not work as well
I mostly just exported the pz3 scene and rendered in Carrara!
loving 64bit dynamics though and hope to get DSON working so will be rendering in Poser more.
Animation window does work quite well for selecting scene items, I just thought there was some other way I could not find.other that the drop down top left preview window menu,
I listen to you because you really know your stuff with your fantastic videos.

Signature 

WARNING do not click tongue rolleye what video horrors will be seen if you do cannot be unseen.
my render thread
        never forget
A Drows Walk
Jaderail is at it again

Posted: 20 April 2013 08:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 108 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  219
Joined  2012-03-27

Okay here’s another question from a newbie on the software in title. Can you save a character made out of V4 morphs in poser( v9) for use in daz? How do you save custom characters in this anyways?

Signature 

In case you have some free time come see what’s displayed My deviantart gallerysmile
AD
“)

http://www.daz3d.com/media/3d/badges/images/badges/badge_10.png

Posted: 10 November 2013 11:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 109 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2070
Joined  2003-10-09
Ilena52 - 20 April 2013 08:26 AM

Okay here’s another question from a newbie on the software in title. Can you save a character made out of V4 morphs in poser( v9) for use in daz? How do you save custom characters in this anyways?

ok i know i am seriously necroposting here, i have been busy with all sorts of thing and haven’t had a chance to keep up on this thread

Not sure if a figure morphed in Poser will work in Studio, not sure why not, so maybe, someone who knows more about Studio will have to answer that

Saving a character in Poser is easy. In your libraries when you open a folder there should be a plus symbol at the bottom some where, clicking that will add the character to the library. A trick I often use when doing large scenes with lots of characters is I morph the characters, apply textures, clothes, props and get them roughly posed how i will use them in the scene, then add them to a library folder named for the project i am working on. When i click the plus it will ask of i want to save the figure or the whole group, i check whole group and then when I go back to load that figure from the library it loads with all its clothing already conformed and props already parented, i just need to place the character where i want it in the scene and then refine the pose.

Posted: 10 November 2013 11:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 110 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

I apologize for my long absence from this thread. A lot has been going on in real and project wise. But on the good news, I have Poser Pro 2014 and I have been learning all sorts of stuff in Poser, so I know the program better than ever and have a lot of kool new tips and tutorials on the way.

Posted: 10 November 2013 11:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 111 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8425
Joined  2007-11-06
LycanthropeX - 10 November 2013 11:01 PM

Not sure if a figure morphed in Poser will work in Studio, not sure why not, so maybe, someone who knows more about Studio will have to answer that

Figures saved in Poser will work in DS as long as
1) they use legacy rigging (not P9 weight-mapping or P8 capsule)
2) binary morph targets are turned off

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ

Product Updates: Non-Genesis/G2 DIM Zips starting July 2013
Non-Genesis Items with Metadata
Plugin Version Numbers for DS 4.5
Updated Genesis Products

Posted: 10 November 2013 11:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 112 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09
fixmypcmike - 10 November 2013 11:12 PM
LycanthropeX - 10 November 2013 11:01 PM

Figures saved in Poser will work in DS as long as
1) they use legacy rigging (not P9 weight-mapping or P8 capsule)
2) binary morph targets are turned off

ok kool. I’m lucky if i get Studio to open so I really don’t know how things work over there lol

8 of 8