Digital Art Zone

2 of 16
WIP THREAD for September NEW USERS CONTEST
Posted: 04 September 2012 09:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16477
Joined  2009-01-22
DS has a Ambient Glow but that will not produce a REAL light. It works well for low light scenes then a fill light is needed for the spill effect.

Here is part of one I did about a year ago. The GUN is a free item I snagged from ShareCG. The Flash is a 3D effect from a pack here at DAZ3D. All this had to be posed by hand. By all this, I mean the Gun, hands and muzzle flash, the background set comes that way.

EDITED TWICE to clear things up.
[ Edited: 04 September 2012 09:29 PM by Jaderail ]
Image Attachments
FireFight2.png
 Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club My stuff at DeviantArt

Posted: 05 September 2012 01:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  27
Joined  2008-05-12
Hi,

I'm very happy with this contest, because there's lot of things that I just don't understand about propping (And I've learn so much with the precedent, thanks again Jaderail):

edit: while writing it I saw my error ... wrong example ...

[ Edited: 05 September 2012 01:23 AM by ntotor ]

Posted: 05 September 2012 05:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  639
Joined  2010-02-25
Thanks Jad for the explanation, always want to do that so I want to try that someday this week.

Oké this one is not with weapons but with a book and a bear toy.grin

Image Attachments
reading_with_kid_bew.jpg
 Signature 

My renders on deviantART http://rendersas.deviantart.com/

Posted: 05 September 2012 12:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  46
Joined  2012-08-14
My First may decent figure yet. Figure is aiko 4. the hair is of A3. background is off my Bryce7
Image Attachments
hitehairaiko4.jpghitehairaiko4.jpg

Posted: 05 September 2012 12:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  46
Joined  2012-08-14
OK try again. My first descent render. Not perfect. But a good work in progress. Aiko 4 body and A3 hair

Posted: 05 September 2012 01:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  757
Joined  2012-02-12
Nice pics guys. How come the newcomers challenge are now so much more interresting than when I was a beginner a little bit more than one year ago?!
 Signature 

My Deviant Art

Posted: 05 September 2012 01:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15928
Joined  2003-10-09
We are doing them in a different way now, trying to make them edutainment. And judging by your join date, you are still new enough user to join in.
 Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        Autumn Bryce Rendering Challenge        September Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 05 September 2012 01:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5407
Joined  2006-08-27
There's so much you can do when you understand how to parent an object, how to translate your object in 3D space, etc.

This is an older one I did as a joke image. The Sorcerer's Apprentice style walking brooms each have a bucket that's parented to the hand. The one throwing the water had the water parented to the bucket.
Image Attachments
Sorcer-Whores-Apprentice02.jpg
 Signature 

I find it somewhat liberating not to be encumbered by accuracy.

Posted: 05 September 2012 02:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  27
Joined  2008-05-12
@Sasje: Just fabulous.

Posted: 05 September 2012 02:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15928
Joined  2003-10-09
I have merged canyonmanterry Wip pictures into this main thread.
[ Edited: 06 September 2012 04:52 AM by chohole ]
 Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        Autumn Bryce Rendering Challenge        September Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 05 September 2012 02:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-27
Jaderail - 04 September 2012 09:25 PM
DS has a Ambient Glow but that will not produce a REAL light. It works well for low light scenes then a fill light is needed for the spill effect.

Here is part of one I did about a year ago. The GUN is a free item I snagged from ShareCG. The Flash is a 3D effect from a pack here at DAZ3D. All this had to be posed by hand. By all this, I mean the Gun, hands and muzzle flash, the background set comes that way.

EDITED TWICE to clear things up.

Carrara's glow isn't an actual light either with one caveat: You can get it to emit light if you turn on GI in the renderer.

So here's what I did in Carrara: I used a muzzle flash image I found online, created a shader with it and applied it to a 2D plane primitive, adjusted the position of the primitive's hot point (or center of rotation) to coincide with the base of the muzzle flash image and parented the plane to a Tommy Gun model. I then used a four view screen to position the plane with the gun muzzle. I played around with a point at modifier to keep the image pointed at the render camera, but found I liked duplicating my plane so that I had four planes at 45º angles to each other. Looked much better in my opinion. I set the planes so that they don't cast shadows or receive shadows. I also added a bulb light with a three foot range, and a 25% falloff. The color was set to be complimentary to the muzzle flash. I parented the bulb to the gun as well and positioned it to be in the main part of the "flame."
Image Attachments
Picture_3.pngPicture_6.pngPicture_8.pngPicture_15.pngPicture_17.png
 Signature 

Posted: 05 September 2012 03:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-27
Once the muzzle flash parented to the gun, the gun can be parented to your figure and the attached flash will move with the gun. This will work for anything of course. You could have a flower pot with flowers parented to the pot and the pot parented in turn to somebody's hand.
Image Attachments
Picture_16.pngPicture_18.png
 Signature 

Posted: 05 September 2012 03:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22
Great stuff, I probably could match that in DS if asked. Okay, I'm gonna pipe in and say I think we are doing the same thing we did last month. We are getting off on a tangent. Let's give this some time and see what questions the others would like answered. We might be leading people down the wrong road.

The contest is about using props, and yes we are covering that but it's not about muzzle flashes per say. If we get more questions then we can cover that more.

Any body got a question? We are ready to help.
 Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.

Posted: 05 September 2012 03:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  425
Joined  2012-08-14

Is this one of the effects packages you were mentioning? fantasy-and-sci-fi-effects
Its on sale atm....but listed for use with Poser (the description does mention DAZ) Just curious....working on my 'Flash Effects' and parented items as we speak.
 Signature 

Brotherlobo aka A.E. McCullough
Self-published Author and Hobbyist Designer

Checkout my website @ http://www.aemccullough.com
or on Amazon @ A.E. McCullough on Amazon
or ‘like’ me on Facebook @ A.E. McCullough on Facebook
or on deviantArt @  Brotherlobo @ deviantArt

Posted: 05 September 2012 04:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22
aemccullough - 05 September 2012 03:20 PM

Is this one of the effects packages you were mentioning? fantasy-and-sci-fi-effects
Its on sale atm....but listed for use with Poser (the description does mention DAZ) Just curious....working on my 'Flash Effects' and parented items as we speak.
Yes it is, very nice set once you figure out how to use it. The Poser version stuff will drive you up the wall until you notice the DS versions work. It's not easy to tell them apart at first.
 Signature 

2 of 16